ADVERTISEMENT

BIG ten championship game

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
anyone think it will be rotated with Indy and played in the LA area?

Rose Bowl or SoFi Stadium?

Rose Bowl is a shitty stadium to watch a game..

Was there in 1984, 1993, 2012 and the 2002 Rose Bowl. Great scenery around the stadium but inside it is one of the worst places to see a game..
I was at the 2002 Rose Bowl as well and would agree with your assessment but keep in mind the Rose Bowl is the Holy Grail for Big 10 teams. Saying if you get to the championship game you get a trip to LA to play in the Rose Bowl has a little more excitement then saying you get to spend the first week in December in....... Indiana. Teams would have a month before the bowl game so extra travel wouldn't be much of a concern.

I've never been in or otherwise watched game live there but agree it's in a beautiful location.
That aside, it's similar to Boston Garden, it's more than a place, it's a pilgrimage, a holy land.

Reactions: saluno22
anyone think it will be rotated with Indy and played in the LA area?

Rose Bowl or SoFi Stadium?
It's supposed to be a neutral site, but why does the site have to be in the B10 footprint. Why not make it nice for the fans and have the game in a good location for a fan vacation?

How about New Orleans, San Diego, or Miami?

It's supposed to be a neutral site, but why does the site have to be in the B10 footprint. Why not make it nice for the fans and have the game in a good location for a fan vacation?

How about New Orleans, San Diego, or Miami?
San Diego is a good idea I hadn't thought of.

Pretty sure they're going to want to keep it within the footprint of the conference and bidders gotta bid for it. But agree so cal would be enticing in Dec

Indy, chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit

Rose bowl is a sacred cow to the B1G zealots. It shan’t be tarnished.

Reactions: Truewooper
Just play it in somewhere Michigan every year since Jim and his Maize and Blue wrecking machine is set up to dominate the B1G going forward. Playing it in Michigan would assure sell outs.

Just play it in somewhere Michigan every year since Jim and his Maize and Blue wrecking machine is set up to dominate the B1G going forward. Playing it in Michigan would assure sell outs.
I did like the idea of having one team host until the playoff got expanded. Lots of conferences try to structurally protect their best teams when there is a scarcity of elite qualifications (as I mentioned in the SEC thread, fewer conference games means fewer guaranteed losses). I hate to say it because it's like how mid- and low-majors protect their top teams in conference tournaments with goofy double and triple byes to make sure they (1) don't have to grind and are rested for the NCAA tournament and (2) less risk of being upset. Getting their better teams in the NCAA tournament gives them a better chance to have an upset and earn more money for the conference.

Other conferences do that in baseball to protect their pitching staffs.

As a Husker fan, it would have been awesome to play Texas in Lincoln in 1996 rather than in at a neutral site. And yes, saying that feels a bit cowardly, but I wonder how much better the conference would have been financially had Nebraska won that game and made the bowl alliance championship with Colorado being selected into the Fiesta Bowl (since Nebraska would have been playing in the Sugar Bowl) as opposed to still getting two in (Texas: Fiesta; Nebraska: Orange) but neither being in the title game.

Indy is hard to beat. No way in hell should it be in LA.
Agree it shouldn’t leave the Midwest

Would be sweet in the vikes stadium, though, and soon whatever the bears end up doing in the burbs, assuming they continue their march down blasphemy highway and build something with a roof

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT