ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Baseball Tourney - Game 7 #7 NW 11, #3 MINN 7 (Winner's Bracket)

saluno22

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2006
Game will be postponed until tomorrow. Teams were just sent back to their hotels. Game time has yet to be set, but I'm guessing Nebraska-Iowa will be the first and Minn-Northwestern will follow.

giphy.gif

Reactions: saluno22
Tomorrow will be the third day in a row they will try to play four games and so far they have failed twice. For the love of Pete, if they're going to stick to the 10:00 p.m. curfew why can't they start the day at 9:00 a.m.? At this pace there will need to be multiple games played Sunday!

Tomorrow will be the third day in a row they will try to play four games and so far they have failed twice. For the love of Pete, if they're going to stick to the 10:00 p.m. curfew why can't they start the day at 9:00 a.m.? At this pace there will need to be multiple games played Sunday!
Just like last year. Ohio State had to play 4 games in 2 days to win the title.

There are also supposed to be thunderstorms Sunday. I don't envy the conference's predicament. If they can't get all the games in, they have to determine the automatic bid somehow.

Just like last year. Ohio State had to play 4 games in 2 days to win the title.

There are also supposed to be thunderstorms Sunday. I don't envy the conference's predicament. If they can't get all the games in, they have to determine the automatic bid somehow.
Last year the first game was scheduled for 9:00 am local time each day. And the weather was worse. And it was played on a field that needed time to be prepared between games. This year's tournament is being mismanaged, IMHO.

Last year the first game was scheduled for 9:00 am local time each day. And the weather was worse. And it was played on a field that needed time to be prepared between games. This year's tournament is being mismanaged, IMHO.
I agree. As much as I shouldn't complain about sleeping in, 10am is way too late to start if you want to get a 4th game started by 10pm. Especially on elimination days when teams will empty their bullpens to stay alive.

For the record if all games are not finished by midnight Sunday, the highest remaining seed is awarded the title

Would be a shame if it had to come to that. Wouldn't feel right, but it is what it is.
I don't feel bad for teams that leave it up to the conference tourney to qualify. I'd say they same thing if we were in that same position. Luckily we're not though! :cool:

I'm OK with totally doing away with conference tournaments. These things are a fraud.
I actually enjoy them because they mean more baseball but feel the automatic bid should be the regular season champs. It is also a last ditch opportunity to bump up your RPI if you take advantage.

Reactions: scarletred
I actually enjoy them because they mean more baseball but feel the automatic bid should be the regular season champs. It is also a last ditch opportunity to bump up your RPI if you take advantage.

Feel the same way about the Basketball season regular Champ should be the automatic bid too.

What I like about the conference tourneys is it keeps teams pressing later into the season. Take this year for instance: do you think we win the regular season title without Northwestern, Purdue, and Michigan State fighting for the bottom seeds in the conference tournament? Sure, there's pride and future playing time to vie for, but having an immediate reward is a much better motivator. Plus Purdue and Northwestern haven't been to the conference tourney in years. Extra motivation.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Love the more baseball part, hate the importance attached to tournaments. That's where the fraud comes in. Way too many tournament champs had average seasons and simply got hot in a one-off setting. It's kinda fraudulent to elevate them with a meaningful award like Auto Bid.

I would just give them a tournament trophy and wish them better luck next season.

Tournaments do bring together the better teams from regular season play and they are a lot of fun for the players so those are good things too.

If tournaments were seen in a more fun and entertaining manner I'd never think a bad thing about them.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
South breeze heading out to left field this morning. Beautiful morning here. And this guy forgot his sunscreen.

No singer today, just a recording.
DGhyEb8.jpg

Pretty sparse crowd, maybe 100 in the stands.

T1: Minnesota
Deep P7 down the line
Walk
2-run HR to RF, MINNESOTA TAKES A 2-0 LEAD
G4
F7

2-0 Minnesota, mid 1

Lots of glare on my phone this morning, I apologize in advance for and typos.

I think he's using P for Popout or pop fly or put out??

Should be F7 (flyout)

No big deal though

The score tracker had the wrong team listed as the home team and it showed that Northwestern was up 2-0. It just switched it...I was pretty disappointed. And then Northwestern takes the lead!

B1: Northwestern
K swinging
P7 in shallow left
Single through the left side
4-pitch walk puts runners on 1st and 2nd
Full-count walk loads the bases
Double to the left-center gap clears the bases, NORTHWESTERN TAKES A 3-2 LEAD (Minnesota almost got the 3rd out on the throw to 2nd and would have been before the 3rd run touched home)
P9 to shallow right-center

3-2 Northwestern, end 1

The score tracker had the wrong team listed as the home team and it showed that Northwestern was up 2-0. It just switched it...I was pretty disappointed. And then Northwestern takes the lead!
They almost didn't take the lead, got lucky that the 2B dropped the ball when applying the tag. Very fortunate, almost regretted taking the extra base.

Reactions: 50pack
B2:
Full-count walk
<pitching change, righty Tyler Hansen>
Wild pitch moves the runner to 2nd (first pitch for this reliever)
Sac bunt moves the runner to 3rd
Passed ball scores a run, NORTHWESTERN EXTENDS LEAD TO 4-2
F8
G6

4-2 Northwestern, end 2

Both teams have twice as many runs as hits.

Boy, Minnesota pitching today sure isn't what Anderson was looking for.

B3:
Infield single, throw from SS pulled 1B off the bag
HBP puts runners on 1st and 2nd
<mound meeting>
Sac bunt down 3B line moves runners to 2nd and 3rd
Single chopped up the middle scores the runner from 3rd, but SS got a glove on it and the runner from 2nd got caught between 3rd and home (tagged at home), batter advances to 2nd on the throw. NORTHWESTERN ADDS TO LEAD, 5-2. 2 out.
K swinging

5-2 Northwestern, end 3

I think he's using P for Popout or pop fly or put out??

Should be F7 (flyout)

No big deal though
Yeah, was a fly out. I started typing the the ball came off the bat and it carried much farther than I thought it would. Got too lazy to change it. I'll blame it on the sunshine :D

Reactions: k9_r
T4:
G4
Solo HR CRUSHED down RF line, MINNESOTA PULLS TO 5-3
(Followed by another line drive the same way that goes just outside the foul pole)
<mound meeting, Minnesota is getting really good contact off the Northwestern starter>
K swinging, tagged by C for out
P9 behind the 1B

5-3 Northwestern, mid 4

ADVERTISEMENT