ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten a 1 bid league?

They are basing it on a couple quotes. The whole interview states how they will look at a variety factors to make decisions because RPI alone isn’t possible. My guess is 3-5 teams but leaning 4 because I feel someone will play their way out of contention in that top 5.

I said preseason one or two teams. But now, I could see it stretch to three given that the top three have actually been ranked one time or another this year. And providing they are still close in the standings at season end.

Somehow I just can't see the committee giving at-large bids to teams with RPIs in the 60s and 70s let alone in the 80s or 90s. Having said that, it's entirely possible the top two here will have RPIs in the 40s making it easy for the committee to choose at least two.

The four and five picks thing we've been hearing have had me scratching my head. Can't see it and I think three is problematic. If we're third I think we'll get passed over.

One thing about Iowa. Right now their RPI is 76 and they're about to take a very large SOS hit (75% of RPI) as they finish with NW and MSU. They're not going anywhere. They just lost a home series to Illinois and, to me, that's it for them.

Maryland has two weeks to crack the top two and, if they do, that should sink Indiana and Michigan both. If so, it's two picks for sure - us and Maryland.

Last edited:
Adding that if Maryland sweeps one of Michigan or Indiana and wins the series with the other and... (follow me here)... and both Indiana and Michigan bet us badly, this is a one bid league - Maryland. So I think.

But, we just have to win some baseball games these next two weeks and we'll be just fine. Fortunately we have the team who can do just that. The rest of the league be damned.

You very well could be 100% spot on. I guess I would be a tad shocked if it was only a one or two bid league based on our recent history of having up to 5 bids and one making the CWS title game. However, we've never experienced anything like this to really have any history to go off of.

Unless Nebraska completely derails I don't see the rational to pass us over, even with an RPI in the 50's knowing how pointless that factor is this year. Getting swept by Rutgers should be more of a factor than RPI imo. I guess it does somewhat go hand and hand though.

The bright side is we are in the drivers seat with who we have remaining to not only impress via the standings and win-loss record, but RPI as well.

Reactions: Wyldcard
It's been stated by all of the big wigs including the comittee because of covid. Sounds like Sam isn't isn't very informed.
Evan Bland quoted a member of the committee a few weeks ago as acknowledging that RPI is a much less useful tool with a conference-only schedule but that it would still be considered.

Personally, I would be shocked if the Big Ten gets less than three bids. The best approach, naturally, is to finish first and not worry about it.

Reactions: Wyldcard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT