ADVERTISEMENT

BIG teams implicated

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...labama-michigan-notre-dame-penn-state-others/

I’m sure nothing will happen, but interesting none the less...
c7f9a00023968695f0fe0e774862e603.jpg

...well....they can't really take many more wins away from Penn State...

They should require teams caught paying players to wear steel toed ballet shoes on game day for how ever many years they payed out.

Reactions: AdaminLincoln
So what did the programs do wrong? They recruited talented kids who were befriended by advisors who took money to steer them in one direction or another. Penn State had one guy help the advisor in order to keep in in college. This has to happen at every top 50 program...how can you stop a booster from paying an advisor, brother, uncle or parent?

So what did the programs do wrong? They recruited talented kids who were befriended by advisors who took money to steer them in one direction or another. Penn State had one guy help the advisor in order to keep in in college. This has to happen at every top 50 program...how can you stop a booster from paying an advisor, brother, uncle or parent?

Because boosters have significant influence. If the booster doesn't want their influence with the university curtailed, not to mention see their team shackled, then it might behoove them to fly straight.

That's why you punish the university. And remember these are the rules the universities agreed to. The NCAA is their creation is it not?

Last edited:
Now we know why the SEC has been dominant. BIG needs to step up its game and put a couple zeroes behind those.
Exactly!!
Auburn had to match or beat Mississippi States $180,000 offer for Cam Newton, meanwhile Big Ten teams putzing around with loose change by comparison.

1000 to 3000.... one guy for 10k. Yawn
Maybe for tax purposes, he was trying to stay below the annual gift tax exclusion amount. Of course the better way is to have the parents set up a church/non-profit/charity and then boosters can make "donations" as they wish.

Yep, this is something we all know happens. It’s just a matter of time before it got out. Now the NCAA and there gutless ways won’t do anything anyways. So move on....

Yep, this is something we all know happens. It’s just a matter of time before it got out. Now the NCAA and there gutless ways won’t do anything anyways. So move on....

Sounds like this is something a bit different. Usually we hear about enticements to get kids to attend a specific school. This was more after the fact to get to stay so this person could be their manager.

As Husker fans we should be upset we don't have any players named because we are talking going pro here. Since we have had so few of those lately, we are not relevant in that scene. :)

"The most damning of the accusations made by Blazer seems to involve Penn State during the Joe Paterno era." Must be some mistake here, Joe Pa always make sure that his program adhered to the highest ethical standards.

There's been a good deal of speculation on the Northwestern board about whom this guy possibly could have paid off on our team during the time period mentioned. It's not as if we were a pipeline to the NFL within that period.

There's been a good deal of speculation on the Northwestern board about whom this guy possibly could have paid off on our team during the time period mentioned. It's not as if we were a pipeline to the NFL within that period.

I would wonder which coach might be involved.

...... but everyone thinks making player payments legal and part of the process will change everything about college football

perfectly logical

...... but everyone thinks making player payments legal and part of the process will change everything about college football

perfectly logical

I don't think it will. People are crazy about money. They love it. Even if they have enough, more is more.

If the players were stipened, some would still not mind taking a little more on the side.

Reactions: baseball31ne
This is the exact reason why I laugh when players complain they aren't being paid and the school is making a ton of money off them. Yeah, well if you aren't very good to begin with, then yeah, that may be true... But if you have Power 5 teams recruiting you, you are getting paid, and the best of the best are probably making a ton of cash and other benefits off recruiting.

I don't think it will. People are crazy about money. They love it. Even if they have enough, more is more.

If the players were stipened, some would still not mind taking a little more on the side.

this would make sense if it were your or my money, but it's the university's, so to me it is completely nonsensical to be so protective of it

make it part of the game, and allow them to have off-season jobs if they want to make more. I do not understand why there is such insistence on keeping this under the table, if it in fact is as rampant as @Nate004 says it is

this would make sense if it were your or my money, but it's the university's, so to me it is completely nonsensical to be so protective of it

make it part of the game, and allow them to have off-season jobs if they want to make more. I do not understand why there is such insistence on keeping this under the table, if it in fact is as rampant as @Nate004 says it is

They can have a job, in fact that itself has been a bone of contention where the players are getting jobs making 25 bucks an hour or more sweeping the floors for 15 min.

The reasons why people defend the University is an issue of principle, not a personal one. If inequity happens to one, be it they have plenty, it can and eventually will happen to all, and those who have the least.

Reactions: scarletred
I would wonder which coach might be involved.

It wouldn't necessarily have to involve a coach. Apparently this guy was trying to recruit players to represent them. If that got out to Fitz, I guarantee the brakes would be put on it very quickly.

It wouldn't necessarily have to involve a coach. Apparently this guy was trying to recruit players to represent them. If that got out to Fitz, I guarantee the brakes would be put on it very quickly.

That's good, because I like purple NU kicking some tail around the pasture...except red NU's tail of course.

ADVERTISEMENT