ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Finalizes Media Rights Deal

chirs-farley-shocked.gif

A necessary next step completed for the ongoing conference realignment path. I am rather surprised at the speculation about adding all those additional PAC teams. Not surprised at all about ND of course. That move always has been ND's decision to make.

Likely requires some kind of response from the SEC. Will the SEC have to add the Arizonas and/or more Big 12 teams since the ACC seems uncrackable for the near term to pick off individual teams. Of course the whole ACC could merge into the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Is this a bit disappointing?

Here's some guesstimate numbers.

Say it's 7.5 billion without the escalators.

$7,500,000,000 divided by 7 years =

$1,071,428,871 per year. Divided by 14 teams (at the present) = $76,530,612 per team per year.

The rumor was something in the neighborhood of $100,000,00 per team per year.

Am I doing the math wrong?

$1,071,428,871 per year. Divided by 14 teams (at the present) = $76,530,612 per team per year.

Was doing the same math as you.

If you divide the $7.5B by 16 teams, which it sounds like USC and UCLA will get full rights immediately, it drops to $67M per team per year

• Wow

It escalates over the life of the contract, reportedly ultimately to $100 million per team. But I don't think the exact numbers are yet public. AND if the speculation about further expansion is in fact correct, the final numbers won't even be known until that is over.

Reactions: WHCSC
How long until this money buys the B1G a football or basketball title?

and how long until the SEC’s contract is up and they dwarf this?

Disney/ABC/ESPN will be under a lot of pressure from the SEC for their next contract. Of course though you could look at it the other way, SEC doesn't have many other options unless streamers really get into the game.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

It isn't the $100 mil some were saying, but we'll have to see where it actually ends up.

Last edited:
It isn't the $100 mil some were saying, but we'll have to see where it actually ends up. It could get close.
I saw many here say $125M/team

cbs going all-in on NFL, B1G looks to have given them a nice discount compared to what SEC was asking

I guess the way I'm figuring it is 71+ million because I figured 16 since negotiations paused and usc/ucla joined. If it goes to 20 teams and full escalator, it figures out the same $$ per school. Any/most schools would love to be invited.

But yes less than the 100 million per school per year as was rumored. But that might go up with revenue from big ten network 🤔??

Nobody tell this guy about ND’s rumored $60-70M/year (just tv money) exclusive rights deal with NBC
When ND finally joins the BIG you will see another school come in with them, that makes 16 schools and the TV payout will be about 125 million per school.
💀💀💀💀💀💀💀

Article on espn.com says schools will get between $80 to $100 million per year starting in year 2 of the deal. Year 1, they aren't getting a full CBS payout as they still have SEC games on their network. After year 2, they'll have steady increases yearly.

On the bright side (who says I’m not positive), our Black Friday game may finally be moving off of terrible btn

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I guess the way I'm figuring it is 71+ million because I figured 16 since negotiations paused and usc/ucla joined. If it goes to 20 teams and full escalator, it figures out the same $$ per school. Any/most schools would love to be invited.

But yes less than the 100 million per school per year as was rumored. But that might go up with revenue from big ten network 🤔??

There is also a big chunk of money from the college football playoff and the NCAA tournament. That money will be between 30-50 million per year.

The 100+ million for both B1G / SEC always include those numbers.

The SEC signed a 10 year exclusive deal so they are now at the mercy of $DIS. Maybe they'll get some DEI announcers in there for you Southern boys while Herby and the talent walk off to NBC to make some money.

You are pathetically obsessed. Big Ten will literally always be a wealthier league.
why should we care if we're mopping the floor and they're lifting the trophy?

this, really, is at the crux of it for me.

I don't care who makes what. I'd like to win. and the b1g never wins.

say all you want that money will bring winning. well, the b1g has been wealthy for awhile now. 2 major sports titles this millennium, both by the same program.

where's the disconnect?

I think I read where the big still had other things to sell, did'nt really pay attention..because I figure I would read about it when it's all done.....I have speculation burnout

Reactions: huntered
one could reasonably argue that for the b1g, it's never been about football
It is a pissing contest to see who can be the largest or biggest. These new conferences are not about athletics or doing what is best to mold young people into semi-decent adults. It is now a funnel system for the NFL and NBA. These mega conferences are not going to be worth a darn for competition. With the projected size of the conferences, teams will be lucky to play each other once every 4 years.

Yeah, cool, they made money.

But none of us actually care about that. We just want wins.

LOL that some people are actually disappointed that the B1G didn't get more money. Talk about greed. Anybody that's disappointed ought to spend a little time walking in K-State's shoes these days.

Reactions: nu2u
why should we care if we're mopping the floor and they're lifting the trophy?

this, really, is at the crux of it for me.

I don't care who makes what. I'd like to win. and the b1g never wins.

say all you want that money will bring winning. well, the b1g has been wealthy for awhile now. 2 major sports titles this millennium, both by the same program.

where's the disconnect?
The Big Ten went 6-3 in the Bowls. The SEC went 5-8.

I'm not going to make idiotic arguments like you do and try say the SEC sucked last year. Anyone with a brain knows that both the Big Ten and SEC play some good football. And some good basketball. And that other major conferences can play pretty well too.

Reactions: dpnavy
LOL that some people are actually disappointed that the B1G didn't get more money. Talk about greed. Anybody that's disappointed ought to spend a little time walking in K-State's shoes these days.
I don’t think anyone is disappointed, just surprised that some people were saying $100M+ annual range and the actual result is 30% less, which is material.

Im always surprised by people that see a 30% variance and have no curiosity whatsoever…

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I don’t think anyone is disappointed, just surprised that some people were saying $100M+ annual range and the actual result is 30% less, which is material.

Im always surprised by people that see a 30% variance and have no curiosity whatsoever…
Except people complaining haven't read all the details. The payout accelerates over the life of the contract. Some say to $100 million per team although its actually not finalized at this point depending on potentially more additional teams joining the conference. There never was any truth to the contract starting at $100 in year one of the deal.

Except people complaining haven't read all the details. The payout accelerates over the life of the contract. Some say to $100 million per team although its actually not finalized at this point depending on potentially more additional teams joining the conference. There never was any truth to the contract starting at $100 in year one of the deal.
See and that was my question - did the Big Ten not do a good job negotiating or were the people talking about $100M per year full of shit? It sounds like the latter

The Big Ten went 6-3 in the Bowls. The SEC went 5-8.

I'm not going to make idiotic arguments like you do and try say the SEC sucked last year. Anyone with a brain knows that both the Big Ten and SEC play some good football. And some good basketball. And that other major conferences can play pretty well too.
repeating the same lie over and over will never make it true

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT