ADVERTISEMENT

Big Change Coming to College Athletics Tomorrow

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Surprised there has been not recent discussion on this. Tomorrow (July 1) it becomes legal for individuals and companies to pay individual athletes for their NIL (licensed Name Image Likeness).

You can foresee this becoming a total game changer. No limit on the amount of compensation an individual college athlete can earn from licensing, gathering social media followers, etc. College sports model moving closer to the pro sports model.

This in practical terms legalizes the ability for companies and wealthy boosters to give cash payments to athletes/recruits. No need to go "under the table" or "load up those McDonald's bags" any more. I'm sure companies like Nike at Oregon are chomping at the bit to spread their cash around.

Also potentially creates huge wealth gaps between stars and unheralded players, wealthy schools with large rich fanbases and small obscure schools, males and female athletes, etc. It's likely to be the "wild west" for a while as this rolls out. I'm guessing though there will have to be some more definitive rules/restrictions down the road at some point.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I can't wait to see how this goes. Hopefully the big auto dealers, hotels, insurance companies and so forth in Nebraska put alot players on the payroll.

I'm talking 6 figure comtracts and publicity that can be used every time a recruit hits the campus. This is what Alabama, Auburn ,Clemson and Georgia been doing anyway!!

Reactions: huntered
Tomorrow will come and most college athletes will not make a penny. The smart schools will have it so things like the Runza deal are in place that doesn't just limit to one player on one team.

The way Nebraska can benefit from this is to have several companies paying x dollars of their marketing budget annually to athletes at Nebraska to perform certain tasks (like a tweet, etc) and make it a consistent flow of income.

What will make a difference in recruiting in the future is the average dollar earned by the players. For example, if the average money earned by a football player at Nebraska is $7k per year vs Iowa State of $500 per year, who the hell is going to win the more highly sought-after recruits?

Get Nebraska players to make more money, put wins on the football field, and Nebraska will dominate the **** out of the 500 mile radius.

What NIL will also do is separate a larger pool of teams from the rest instead of just the annual 4 that we have now. Thus, instead of 4, it will be about 16 or fewer schools that will dominate the sport. A Northwestern has no chance in this environment. Neighborhoods around Northwestern don't even give a shit about Northwestern.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
You have to laugh at this: "The NCAA board directed schools to make sure that payments to athletes are not expressly for their athletic achievements and to ensure that no payments are used as recruiting inducements."

Now how the heck would the NCAA enforce that distinction? An athlete with more athletic achievement/performance would naturally get bigger endorsement money.

And the NCAA also directed that schools follow their individual state rules in the absence of any national rules set by a bickering Congress. Right there that provides a huge disparity between schools located in different states.

Reactions: Swiv3D and TFrazier
What will stop Phil Knight from offering every 5-star recruit a Nike endorsement deal?

What will stop Phil Knight from offering every 5-star recruit a Nike endorsement deal?
Nothing right now as far as I can tell. You know though eventually there will be an outcry for some rules to level the playing field but for now it's the legalized "wild west".

IMO it's going to come down to something like the pro sports leagues have done where they impose salary caps to level the playing field between richer and poor teams. Could be each conference first stepping in to impose some rules on its members.

I think it’s awesome. College football especially has long been in need of a wrench to the gears.

Here’s hoping we’re on the happy side of the fallout!

Like I said, hot girls will profit the most.

And it will be interesting when some of these hotties start skipping team practices/workouts/meetings because they are off doing an endorsement or photoshoot for their Instagram account. I'm sure that won't create any drama in the locker room. Good luck to all the women's coaches out there.

And it will be interesting when some of these hotties start skipping team practices/workouts/meetings because they are off doing an endorsement or photoshoot for their Instagram account. I'm sure that won't create any drama in the locker room. Good luck to all the women's coaches out there.
Don't ruin my plans. I am a licensed photographer. 😆. Well. I have a cell phone camera.

• Haha
Reactions: SomedayHusker
Should be interesting to see the fallout. Collegiate athletics are bound for a major shift, and this will accelerate the process. As I've said before, I can see college football as we know it disappearing in the next 5-10 years. Amateur leagues will take their place, and serve as the minor league of the NFL.

Should be interesting to see the fallout. Collegiate athletics are bound for a major shift, and this will accelerate the process. As I've said before, I can see college football as we know it disappearing in the next 5-10 years. Amateur leagues will take their place, and serve as the minor league of the NFL.
Bama already is the NFL's farm team. 😠

Would anyone give any fux about an amateur team with no association to a university? Where would they play?
Actually, I'm surprised that someone like Vince McMahon or Mark Cuban hasn't figured this out yet. XFL or some variation. Forcing a college education with elite-level athletics never made any sense.

It was always only a matter of time. When you have billionaire boosters, major corporate sponsors, huge apparel contracts, paying coaches millions of dollars, building $100 million facilities....you cannot still claim with a straight face to still be an "amateur" sport that cares about academics foremost.

If these universities and the NCAA really cared about amateurism and fairness, they would have instituted limits on donations, sponsorships, and coaching salaries a long time ago. But they didn't, because they loved the gravy train. So they can't complain now that the student-athletes are getting a bigger slice of the pie.

Somewhat shocked to hear the interim athletic director say that each social media post by a Husker athlete could be worth up to 80 cents per follower. And more than a few Husker athletes gained a thousand or more social media followers in just one day. That could potentially be some serious coin, if true, for those athletes.

If these universities and the NCAA really cared about amateurism and fairness, they would have instituted limits on donations, sponsorships, and coaching salaries a long time ago. But they didn't, because they loved the gravy train. So they can't complain now that the student-athletes are getting a bigger slice of the pie.
Actually there are getting slices of a new pie, they aren't getting any of the old pie, which is TV revenue, ticket sales, etc.

Actually, I'm surprised that someone like Vince McMahon or Mark Cuban hasn't figured this out yet. XFL or some variation. Forcing a college education with elite-level athletics never made any sense.
I thought XFL 2.0 would have worked, had covid not came around. I think Vince put a lot more thought and effort into this, just look at the hiring of Oliver Luck.

This x 1000. The hand-wringing from people who've derived big fat salaries from college athletics for decades is downright laughable. They're asking us to believe that all the developments that allowed them to get wealthy were overwhelmingly positive - but this will ruin everything!!!

If NIL ends up being the downfall of college/amateur athletics, it was the last of many, many falling dominoes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT