ADVERTISEMENT

Big, 24 teams

Here's what will happen. ND will re-up with NBC, which will then negotiate a B12 deal to be fully vested in college football. Along will come the west coast teams to the B12 creating the third mega conference.
nope. nothing b12 can doe to add value to the conference. Nd already has that kind of deal with acc and it is not close to b10 and sec. acc tv ratings are better than b12 and it will be even worse when texas and oklahoma leave

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Time will tell us who has more value. It's easy for me say you're an idiot and for you to claim I'm an imbecile. We can agree on that and that's it's interesting to watch play out.

My sense is that the B12 holds all the marbles v. the ACC and P12 today. That soon the 4-corner schools will move to the B12. And that one of the major networks will pickup the media rights, hopefully NBC with ND.

But I nor anyone on the outside has a clue today how it will eventually turn out. We only know that changes are coming, again.

I doubt Duke will be asked. I’d be very surprised if they were part of the BIG. The whole realignment is mostly about $$ and football. Not sure the Blue Devils bring anything to the table in that regard.
They Don't .Only teams that actually will bring more money to conference are ND and Clemson. B10 10 will bring in high Academic schools. b10 schools make more money than any other conference outside of sports because of the academics and research money. The b10 will continue to grow that

Last edited:
I don't think anything more is going to happen in the near term for the B1G and SEC. ND isn't ready to make a decision, B1G has to get its media contract done and the SEC isn't going to try to crack open the ACC. The immediate conference action will now be confined to what the PAC and Big 12 do. Will they merge? Will they add other teams? Whatever they do, they likely won't be happy with any new media contracts they get (in comparison to the B1G and SEC).

I don't think anything more is going to happen in the near term for the B1G and SEC. ND isn't ready to make a decision, B1G has to get its media contract done and the SEC isn't going to try to crack open the ACC. The immediate conference action will now be confined to what the PAC and Big 12 do. Will they merge? Will they add other teams? Whatever they do, they likely won't be happy with any new media contracts they get (in comparison to the B1G and SEC).
The B12 has said no to a complete merger with the P12. Some of those schools would water down the rights.

Reactions: Redmich
Sounds like the B12 is not interested in a complete merger

Reactions: BleedRed78
The B12 has said no to a complete merger with the P12. Some of those schools would water down the rights.
Well right now I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what either the PAC or Big 12 say publicly. It's a very unsettled situation for them.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
Can the Pac-12 be saved?

"I just don't see how the ESPN numbers that come back, make it worth these Pac-12 schools staying. And that's what someone from Arizona, a source that I trust, has told me. They would be shocked if the ESPN numbers, or any numbers, came back and we're big enough to convince schools to stay. Because of that, I think at the end of the day, these schools are going to do what's best for their school and their athletic department, and that's why I think Arizona ends up in the Big 12 I don't know if that's gonna happen this week, this month or whatever it would be but I do think that as of now is assuming the outside forces don't get in the way and they kind of screw everything up that Arizona will be in the Big 12." Jason Scheer, the publisher of Wildcat Authority, the Arizona site on the 247Sports Network

Reactions: BleedRed78
Time will tell us who has more value. It's easy for me say you're an idiot and for you to claim I'm an imbecile. We can agree on that and that's it's interesting to watch play out.

My sense is that the B12 holds all the marbles v. the ACC and P12 today. That soon the 4-corner schools will move to the B12. And that one of the major networks will pickup the media rights, hopefully NBC with ND.

But I nor anyone on the outside has a clue today how it will eventually turn out. We only know that changes are coming, again.
Notre Dame, B1G, and the SEC hold all the marbles in future conference realignment. ACC is in their own little sandbox due to their long grant of rights. B12 and PAC 12 are in a race to avoid being at the bottom.

BThe Big Ten wants Notre Dame and North Carolina in that order followed by Virginia. They will add anyone needed to bring those programs. There's not a chance in hell USC wants to deal with Oregon and if Oregon was going to be an option they would be in already. They are #10 nationally with 2.57 Million average viewership per game so they would add more to the new TV deal than even USC at the moment. Even if you had to bring in Washington's 38th ranked 985K per game viewership numbers it would still be a net positive and would already be done. I do believe the Big Ten and SEC are far from done expanding though. I expect that the Big Ten ends up at 24 and the SEC stops at 20.

Big Ten

Heartland
Notre Dame
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Cal
Stanford

Mid Atlantic
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Syracuse

Midwest
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Great Lakes
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern

Tobacco Road
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Georgia Tech

The reason for adding Notre Dame, Cal and Stanford are already understood. The Syracuse addition might seem like a total money sink but the reason they are worth adding is it gives the conference a backup and lock on New York City as right now the networks are letting the Big Ten have Rutgers count as being in the New York market. But that doesn't mean they let them count forever. They don't have the same problem with Syracuse. And the North Carolina pod I couldn't think of a shorter name but the addition of Duke and Virginia are no brainers to include with North Carolina and Georgia Tech doesn't have a big tv audience but they bring a good recruiting area and are just a natural fit in the pod. I thought they would need a stadium upgrade to get in but no, 5 current Big Ten stadiums are under 55k capacity.

24 teams, 6 pods, 3 1 1 1 1 1 rotational model
You play every team every four years switching home field each time. 8 years if you want to keep a home away back to back.

The SEC as I said decides to only go to 20. And though the Big Ten is at 24 the SEC with more historic brands stays at 20 which means both conferences get about the same amount of revenue per team. They might even eventually share all revenue as they are the only two conferences of note and the more teams are good the more everyone makes. Both these conferences understand that. It's why they are the last ones standing.

This isn't as easy to do the schedule as the Big Ten but it does work. You play the 3 teams in your pod and use a 1 1 1 2 schedule format. The pod you get 2 from rotates and you just go down the line with who you haven't played in the longest time. It ends up being an 8 year rotational model.

NORTH
Missouri
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Tennessee

EAST
Georgia
Clemson
South Carolina
Virginia Tech

CENTRAL
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

SOUTHEAST
LSU
Florida
Florida State
Miami

SOUTHWEST
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Arkansas

I can see the ACC, Big12 and Pac12 getting together and looking at the Big Ten and the format that they use and decide to do the same thing. Using the same 3 1 1 1 1 1 model. If they can figure out a few things.

BThe Big Ten wants Notre Dame and North Carolina in that order followed by Virginia. They will add anyone needed to bring those programs. There's not a chance in hell USC wants to deal with Oregon and if Oregon was going to be an option they would be in already. They are #10 nationally with 2.57 Million average viewership per game so they would add more to the new TV deal than even USC at the moment. Even if you had to bring in Washington's 38th ranked 985K per game viewership numbers it would still be a net positive and would already be done. I do believe the Big Ten and SEC are far from done expanding though. I expect that the Big Ten ends up at 24 and the SEC stops at 20.

Big Ten

Heartland
Notre Dame
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue

Pacific
USC
UCLA
Cal
Stanford

Mid Atlantic
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Syracuse

Midwest
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Great Lakes
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern

Tobacco Road
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Georgia Tech

The reason for adding Notre Dame, Cal and Stanford are already understood. The Syracuse addition might seem like a total money sink but the reason they are worth adding is it gives the conference a backup and lock on New York City as right now the networks are letting the Big Ten have Rutgers count as being in the New York market. But that doesn't mean they let them count forever. They don't have the same problem with Syracuse. And the North Carolina pod I couldn't think of a shorter name but the addition of Duke and Virginia are no brainers to include with North Carolina and Georgia Tech doesn't have a big tv audience but they bring a good recruiting area and are just a natural fit in the pod. I thought they would need a stadium upgrade to get in but no, 5 current Big Ten stadiums are under 55k capacity.

24 teams, 6 pods, 3 1 1 1 1 1 rotational model
You play every team every four years switching home field each time. 8 years if you want to keep a home away back to back.

The SEC as I said decides to only go to 20. And though the Big Ten is at 24 the SEC with more historic brands stays at 20 which means both conferences get about the same amount of revenue per team. They might even eventually share all revenue as they are the only two conferences of note and the more teams are good the more everyone makes. Both these conferences understand that. It's why they are the last ones standing.

This isn't as easy to do the schedule as the Big Ten but it does work. You play the 3 teams in your pod and use a 1 1 1 2 schedule format. The pod you get 2 from rotates and you just go down the line with who you haven't played in the longest time. It ends up being an 8 year rotational model.

NORTH
Missouri
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Tennessee

EAST
Georgia
Clemson
South Carolina
Virginia Tech

CENTRAL
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

SOUTHEAST
LSU
Florida
Florida State
Miami

SOUTHWEST
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Arkansas

I can see the ACC, Big12 and Pac12 getting together and looking at the Big Ten and the format that they use and decide to do the same thing. Using the same 3 1 1 1 1 1 model. If they can figure out a few things.
Theres no chance this is happening.

Reactions: king_kong_
Notre Dame, B1G, and the SEC hold all the marbles in future conference realignment. ACC is in their own little sandbox due to their long grant of rights. B12 and PAC 12 are in a race to avoid being at the bottom.
If football drives the bus, your post lacks logic. Half the new B12 is in the preseason top 25 and four others receiving votes.

If football drives the bus, your post lacks logic. Half the new B12 is in the preseason top 25 and four others receiving votes.

Preseason votes are meaningless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT