ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Rules that "Horns Down" gesture will draw a Penalty in CCG

top2.jpg

I guess I am the odd man out here, I don't have a big problem with cracking down on this. Where do you draw the line? So is the middle finger OK as well? I always wanted my students/athletes to respect their opponent, no matter who it was but you show them who you are on court, field, classroom, competition, etc. The taunting crap accomplishes nothing except give big mouths something else to blow up about.

At some point, we will probably be penalized for throwing the bones. A throat slash gesture gets a flag, maybe we'll get called for throwing the bones.

At some point, we will probably be penalized for throwing the bones. A throat slash gesture gets a flag, maybe we'll get called for throwing the bones.
Interesting this is brought up. In our 2010 game in Lincoln against Texas, a UT defender was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct for throwing the bones late in the game. I'll see if I can find the clip.

EDIT: Found the clip. It is after a 2-yard loss on a bubble screen to Niles Paul on 2nd and 10 at the Texas 40 late in the 3rd quarter. The play begins at 27:10 in this video...

Last edited:
speaking of unsportsmanlike conduct calls, I was concerned that I would see a flag fly for AM's reaction to scoring the last touchown against Iowa. In a very senior move, Morgan quickly grabbed him and spun him away. Not saying I think he deserved one, but I think another few seconds of the strut while staring down the IA defender might have drawn a flag and required an 18 yard extra point try.

speaking of unsportsmanlike conduct calls, I was concerned that I would see a flag fly for AM's reaction to scoring the last touchown against Iowa. In a very senior move, Morgan quickly grabbed him and spun him away. Not saying I think he deserved one, but I think another few seconds of the strut while staring down the IA defender might have drawn a flag and required an 18 yard extra point try.
Spot on. I thought the same thing. Especially in ic

Interesting this is brought up. In our 2010 game in Lincoln against Texas, a UT defender was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct for throwing the bones late in the game. I'll see if I can find the clip.

EDIT: Found the clip. It is after a 2-yard loss on a bubble screen to Niles Paul on 2nd and 10 at the Texas 40 late in the 3rd quarter. The play begins at 27:10 in this video...

This game brings back bad memories forgot about not scoring an offensive TD and all the dropped balls that could have won it..

Reactions: saluno22
This game brings back bad memories forgot about not scoring an offensive TD and all the dropped balls that could have won it..
Remember when people complained other people calling out Niles Paul for dropping wide open passes but not Rex Burkhead?

I guess I am the odd man out here, I don't have a big problem with cracking down on this. Where do you draw the line? So is the middle finger OK as well? I always wanted my students/athletes to respect their opponent, no matter who it was but you show them who you are on court, field, classroom, competition, etc. The taunting crap accomplishes nothing except give big mouths something else to blow up about.

The point is this rule wouldn't have been made for any other school.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I would pay money if they would outlaw players from signaling FIRST DOWN after a play.
I would pay double if the penalty for signaling FIRST DOWN when you didn't get a first down was ejection.

Texas Sucks.

Perhaps because Niles had a history of dropped passes.
I think it was more Niles Paul was cocky and would run his mouth relative to Rex Burkhead's demeanor.

Rex dropped a for-sure TD early in the game. I also recall Brandon Kinnie having a critical drop late in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT