ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 commissioner Bowlsby fired a shot across the NCAA's bow.

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Buried in the NCAA letter this week there was language "reaffirming the MANDATES for a return to play" for football this fall. Not guidelines. Mandates. Everybody has criticized the NCAA for not making recommendations to schools on fall football and leaving it up to each school or conference. Well, it turns out that may not be exactly so. Big 12 comish Bowlsby said either yesterday or this morning that "if we don't play football this fall, we may not play any sports for the 20-21 school year". That would cost the NCAA their primary source of income in the NCAA basketball tourney.

Were the NCAA "mandates" one of the reasons the B1G cancelled their season? Was the statement by Bowlsby a power play designed to make the NCAA reconsider their "mandates" for playing football this fall? Am I reading too much in to what I think was a thinly veiled threat by Bowlsby? At some point one would think that IF ESPN lost college basketball as a result of having some conferences postpone their seasons, there would be some huge pressure on the B1G to reconsider their stance on football. ESPN radio is really giving the B1G hell on the radio.

Buried in the NCAA letter this week there was language "reaffirming the MANDATES for a return to play" for football this fall. Not guidelines. Mandates. Everybody has criticized the NCAA for not making recommendations to schools on fall football and leaving it up to each school or conference. Well, it turns out that may not be exactly so. Big 12 comish Bowlsby said either yesterday or this morning that "if we don't play football this fall, we may not play any sports for the 20-21 school year". That would cost the NCAA their primary source of income in the NCAA basketball tourney.

Were the NCAA "mandates" one of the reasons the B1G cancelled their season? Was the statement by Bowlsby a power play designed to make the NCAA reconsider their "mandates" for playing football this fall? Am I reading too much in to what I think was a thinly veiled threat by Bowlsby? At some point one would think that IF ESPN lost college basketball as a result of having some conferences postpone their seasons, there would be some huge pressure on the B1G to reconsider their stance on football. ESPN radio is really giving the B1G hell on the radio.
Yet they also slammed Scott Frost, no?

Reactions: Bart Man
The NCAA came up with that "resocialization of athletes to fall sports" or something awhile back and a good chunk if not all of that was recommended.

Based on what was in that alot of the Power 5 was reported to be divining their own guidance based on that.

The NCAA came back in early August and cancelled fall championships but also made the earlier document required for sanctioned play. They also said it only applied to the fall and winter sports would be evaluated in time.

What I think could be happening is that the NCAA is trying to get the remaining conferences to postpone. It doesn't have a way to directly do that but it could say something along the lines of "Clemson and/or the entire ACC opted to participate in fall sports and didn't follow all of the mandates from July so they are unsanctioned and ineligible for championship consideration".

Whether the NCAA title just falls to Baylor or the NCAA BOG says there's not enough sanctioned teams to meet the 50% threshhold and hold it in the first place, it doesn't really matter.

It would be a royal kick in the nuts for Clemson to spend the kind of money they are looking at spending and essentially playing an exhibition season with no banner considerations at any level.

Bowlesby probably just making clear to the NCAA that without football revenue there won't be any reevaluation of winter sports because no one will play them. The NCAA I think is probably clear on this but Bowlesby hoping to drive public opinion as well

The NCAA came up with that "resocialization of athletes to fall sports" or something awhile back and a good chunk if not all of that was recommended.

Based on what was in that alot of the Power 5 was reported to be divining their own guidance based on that.

The NCAA came back in early August and cancelled fall championships but also made the earlier document required for sanctioned play. They also said it only applied to the fall and winter sports would be evaluated in time.

What I think could be happening is that the NCAA is trying to get the remaining conferences to postpone. It doesn't have a way to directly do that but it could say something along the lines of "Clemson and/or the entire ACC opted to participate in fall sports and didn't follow all of the mandates from July so they are unsanctioned and ineligible for championship consideration".

Whether the NCAA title just falls to Baylor or the NCAA BOG says there's not enough sanctioned teams to meet the 50% threshhold and hold it in the first place, it doesn't really matter.

It would be a royal kick in the nuts for Clemson to spend the kind of money they are looking at spending and essentially playing an exhibition season with no banner considerations at any level.

Bowlesby probably just making clear to the NCAA that without football revenue there won't be any reevaluation of winter sports because no one will play them. The NCAA I think is probably clear on this but Bowlesby hoping to drive public opinion as well
great explanation of what is likely going on there. That puts a lot of pressure on the NCAA to back off. IMO, those NCAA mandates and the B12's recent statement should be getting WAY more coverage by the media than it is getting. That's the real story IMO about college football.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Once again it is not about Corona, it is all about the power. The NCAA doesn't have it but wants it. The conferences have it and don't want to give it up... could well be the beginning of the split that capsises the NCAA boat. It has never had any real power to keep schools honost now the Power 5 has a legit reason to form its own sanctioning body. Get out the popcorn.

Once again it is not about Corona, it is all about the power. The NCAA doesn't have it but wants it. The conferences have it and don't want to give it up... could well be the beginning of the split that capsises the NCAA boat. It has never had any real power to keep schools honost now the Power 5 has a legit reason to form its own sanctioning body. Get out the popcorn.

Due to this, I'd say its less likely than ever that the power 5 conferences leave the NCAA and join forces. The Big10, Pac12, and G5 love this ruling while the SEC, ACC, and Big12 aren't happy about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT