ADVERTISEMENT

big 12 attendance

regoratsginrom

Blackshirt
May 15, 2004
Iowa State announced 25k limit on fans for their opener. No tailgating. Masks mandatory.

KU announced no fans for their first game on 9/12. No tailgating.

12,500 in Manhattan. 25% of capacity. you used to come down in droves but today likely wouldn't recognize the place.

WSC-1435595004770.jpg

K-State's campus always looked so weird to me. It's all this castles-and-forts style architecture sticking out of the middle of the prairie.
A lot of limestone in the area. If you visit any part of central Kansas, you'll find a ton of stone homes, buildings, churches, and the like. Ft. Riley is the same way because stone is native to the area, thus the state university is a reflection of that. President Wefald actually tore down some non-stone campus buildings because they didn't fit the motif.

5bf16c9b86010f84a629ce5e9e6729d5.jpg

Reactions: huskerfan66
K-State's campus always looked so weird to me. It's all this castles-and-forts style architecture sticking out of the middle of the prairie.

I remember going to games in the late 70’s and 80’s and they didn’t have their parking lots cemented just gravel parking lots..

Reminded me of going to high school games in the rural areas of Nebraska..

Reactions: saluno22
I remember going to games in the late 70’s and 80’s and they didn’t have their parking lots cemented just gravel parking lots..

When I walked in the first time in the north end, my uncle said "Well, where do you want to sit?"

I couldn't believe Nebraska was in the same league as KSU.

Reactions: scarletred

I seem to recall as a kid (my memory may be hazy) that we parked in a lot next to the stadium and walked right up to it. Maybe we paid for parking, maybe not. But it was right outside the stadium.

This would have been 35-40 years ago.

The current stadium was opened in 1968. Lynn Dickey was a sophomore QB. The Cats beat N in Lincoln. That was the last time it happened until 2003.

Folks tell me it was easy to walk-up ten minutes before game time at KSU Stadium, buy a cheap ticket, and sit wherever you wanted. Of course, that all ended when Bill Snyder came over from Iowa.

SI's "Futility U" was perhaps one of football's most famous rants. It was written just as Snyder took the helm.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1989/09/...laim-to-fame-it-is-americas-most-hapless-team

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT