ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 West - Help Wanted!

cruelhalo

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 27, 2003
Man, not sure what to think but outside of Iowa, the West looks putrid. A ranking and my thoughts after Week 1.

1. Iowa
Indiana was over hyped but it doesn't take away from Iowa's win. Still not sold on their QB play as that could get them in trouble this year. But I expect them to win the West this year - possibly easily because defense wins championships.

2. Wisconsin
Simply #2 by virtue of its defense. Penn St defense isn't world beaters and the Wisconsin offense looked sub par. With their schedule, if Chryst isn't careful, their season could turn ugly.

3. Minnesota
Ibrahim's injury is not good but if it were to happen - better early than late. A lot of other good players that played Ohio St tough. Not sure if that was that a first game prime time enigma but their schedule isn't tough.

4. Purdue
They won but it isn't enough to put them at #2 simply because they're 1-0. Oregon St isn't a good football team yet they played Purdue close in W. Lafayette. Purdue will be bloody by the time they play Nebraska.

5. Northwestern
Yes, they miss their DC but they lost a lot of guys from last year's team. Fitz will get a few wins this year simply by playing conservative and smart. Northwestern has 3 layups before they play Nebraska- plenty of time to get his team ready.

6. Nebraska
I struggled to put them in 6th because they lost to Illinois. But I still believe they're better than Illinois. If Frost had a clue this team could be dangerous. Unfortunately, we have what we have for a coach. The Buffalo game is big a trap and if Nebraska takes them lightly they could get lit up.

7. Illinois
Really? A roadrunner? Nebraska gifted them a win with stupidity. UTSA wasn't so kind. Illinois will be lucky to finish the season at 3-8.

Reactions: artguy68
The pandemic year was so wacky I wouldn't be surprised to see a regression to the mean this year. Things like Indiana being a one hit wonder, Penn State going back to a borderline top 10 team, Minnesota bouncing back, etc. So I'd put less stock in Iowa's win and I think Wisconsin will be just fine.

It's hard to argue with your rankings though. The one exception is we should probably be ranked 7 until we can prove otherwise.

Need to see more games but Minnesota will contend for the division title..

Ioway still has to play Penn St too but both them and Wisconsin played pretty good defense yesterday..

Reactions: Hardslider21
They’re all pretty mediocre, just like every year

Any team can get hot/get hurt, none has a chance at a conf title or New Years bowl

Minnesota looked good, but I am sure that was Minnesota's super bowl, and tOSU was breaking in a young QB and it took them some time to get the ball rolling. Iowa looked good, but it helped that Indiana bought into all their hype and forgot they had to prove it on the field. Bucky, great defense as expected, but the offense at times looked very challenged. Purdue is still Purdue. I knew Northwestern would be down, but holy cow, they were not good at all. Nebraska is better then Illinois, and beat up on Fordham like they should have, and Illinois? Wow, laying the egg to a school a lot of people haven't heard of. I would for the most part agree with your rankings, however, I don't know if I would put NW above Nebraska as bad as they looked against Michigan State.

The ACC Coastal isn't great either:

-Duke lost to Charlotte
-Georgia Tech lost to Northern Illinois
-Miami destroyed by Alabama
-UNC lost to Virginia Tech

West Power Rank
1. Iowa - great defense. Game manager QB with monster arm. One thing I noticed their WRs do not get separated. Will be interested to see how they do against their little bro this weekend!
2. Minnesota- RB is a beast. QB experience and dare I say a good coach that recruits to their culture and scheme. Their home field is a big advantage
3. Wisconsin- great defense. Offense not good.
4. Purdue - honestly didn’t watch game. Just know Bell at WR is elite. Defense is usually suspect. Could include them with the bottom 3.
5/6/7 - no order Illinois/Nebraska/NW - all have warts

No I mean both

These teams will all max out at 8/9 wins and nobody will care for the 200th year in a row

Classic b1g football
Outback and Citrus are played on New Years day was my point usually someone from the West is in one of the two..

How you rate your bowls is your issue plenty of us enjoy them..Would be nice to see Nebraska in a Outback bowl lately..

Need to see more games but Minnesota will contend for the division title..

Ioway still has to play Penn St too but both them and Wisconsin played pretty good defense yesterday..
Luckily, it will be at home and probably at night. Iowa should still have to win in Madison to take the west crown. Tough task, but it’s at 11 AM and those are usually sleepy crowds that early.

Man, not sure what to think but outside of Iowa, the West looks putrid. A ranking and my thoughts after Week 1.

1. Iowa
Indiana was over hyped but it doesn't take away from Iowa's win. Still not sold on their QB play as that could get them in trouble this year. But I expect them to win the West this year - possibly easily because defense wins championships.

2. Wisconsin
Simply #2 by virtue of its defense. Penn St defense isn't world beaters and the Wisconsin offense looked sub par. With their schedule, if Chryst isn't careful, their season could turn ugly.

3. Minnesota
Ibrahim's injury is not good but if it were to happen - better early than late. A lot of other good players that played Ohio St tough. Not sure if that was that a first game prime time enigma but their schedule isn't tough.

4. Purdue
They won but it isn't enough to put them at #2 simply because they're 1-0. Oregon St isn't a good football team yet they played Purdue close in W. Lafayette. Purdue will be bloody by the time they play Nebraska.

5. Northwestern
Yes, they miss their DC but they lost a lot of guys from last year's team. Fitz will get a few wins this year simply by playing conservative and smart. Northwestern has 3 layups before they play Nebraska- plenty of time to get his team ready.

6. Nebraska
I struggled to put them in 6th because they lost to Illinois. But I still believe they're better than Illinois. If Frost had a clue this team could be dangerous. Unfortunately, we have what we have for a coach. The Buffalo game is big a trap and if Nebraska takes them lightly they could get lit up.

7. Illinois
Really? A roadrunner? Nebraska gifted them a win with stupidity. UTSA wasn't so kind. Illinois will be lucky to finish the season at 3-8.
You have it just about correct. Switch Illinois and Nebraska. We didn’t take care of business against Illinois and deserve to be last in the West.

SF is a horrible Head Coach but wasn’t the dummy who tried to field a punt inside the 10. He wasn’t the QB that doesn’t know how to protect the football for a scoop and score that put us down another 7 points. He wasn’t the kicker how had a bad day and missed two extra points. Our team is dead last in the West.

Reactions: GaRed and cruelhalo
Outback and Citrus are played on New Years day was my point usually someone from the West is in one of the two..

How you rate your bowls is your issue plenty of us enjoy them..Would be nice to see Nebraska in a Outback bowl lately..
Like I said, for the 200th straight year, nobody will care what happens in the west

Par for the b1g course

While the game wasn't particularly great and the score was closer than it should have been, Purdue was the better team. Thankfully. Dropped two wide open TD passes and a pitch that probably would have been a TD. Defense seems like it could be a step up. Sticking with my 6 win prediction.

ADVERTISEMENT