ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 Bias Against UNL?

The league simply doesn't call many offensive holding calls at all. There are articles written about this subject.,

During the 2016 and 2017 seasons, Michigan opponent's offensive lines were call for 2 holding calls in 18 conference games. Look at the defensive linemen and LB that rush the passer that were on that roster. Its crazy.

I remember seeing an article that just looked at one weekend in 2018, like 470 passes thrown in 7 conference games and only 9 offensive holding penalties were called. The weekend observed, was the October 13 weekend.

Iowa 33 pass attempts Indiana 42 pass attempts 75 0 offensive holding calls
Rutgers 17 Maryland 20 1 call on Maryland
Northwestern 65 Nebraska 35 1 call on Nebraska
Minnesota 23 Ohio State 44 3 total calls 1 - MN 2 - OSU
Purdue 37 Illinois 29 3 total calls 1 - Illinois 2 - Purdue
MSU 53 PSU 32 1 total call on PSU
Wisconsin 20 Michigan 21 0 - side note only two total penalties called for the entire game

Totals 471 pass attempts 9 offensive holding calls.

Sorry guys for all the posts. Must have been something screwy with rivals server because I kept getting an error message

The refs were sure a lot better back when we were winning titles. There was also no league nor television network bias against NU then, either.

One giant conspiracy...there is no other explanation.

While I'm not one the blame refs...

The stat that our opponents were not called for a holding call over 21 consecutive games is pretty freaking insane. One could argue that part of that is our D not being good and therefore not drawing them, but 21 GAMES? It isn't/wasn't the cause of our woes, but it sure didn't help.

Yeah, it is all a conspiracy. Big 10 administrators have secret meetings with referees and tells them not to ever call holding against anyone playing Nebraska because they simply hate them. All the refs agree, and nobody involved ever reveals a single mention of the directive.

Yup. Makes complete sense. Everyone hates us. It's no fair! Let's pout. :(

While I'm not one the blame refs...

The stat that our opponents were not called for a holding call over 21 consecutive games is pretty freaking insane. One could argue that part of that is our D not being good and therefore not drawing them, but 21 GAMES? It isn't/wasn't the cause of our woes, but it sure didn't help.
Wasn’t it just holding calls on passes? Not that it makes it better, but I don’t think it was zero holding calls for that long.

It seems like Big Ten officials either don’t call anything, or call a bunch of penalties. Very inconsistent in football but not as bad as basketball.

Maybe we’ve just been bad? The BIG would benefit with a good Nebraska, if we have a season like say Minnesota last year there’s a whole hell of a lot more attention on us than there was on them.

Didn't we go two years without a holding call against the opponents? When it finally made national news, lo and behold the next game their were two called on them. Shocking. Pelini didn't help much but some of the bias has been pretty blatant.

The stat was on accepted penalties on pass plays between Illinois in 2016 and Minnesota 2018. Not quite the same as none of them being called.

This was a good read from a couple of years ago.....

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/10/17/17982078/big-ten-football-no-holding-calls-anywhere

compared to don beebe and texas, I'd say the big 10 has been might friendly. not that texas was real terrible either, we just lost a coaching legend and his long time assistances and have been on our heels since. I don't blame texas or the big 10 for our sucking. big picture wise, I would say our main problem was trying to switch from the option to a passing offence and not having the personnel to do so. this inturn effected our defensive play also.

Last edited:
Ummm.....if you want to talk conspiracy ALL you have to do is look at the scheduling Nebraska has had since the last realignment!

Forget the ref talk, compare NU's cross conf schedule to Iowa's, Minni, Wiscy and the likes....it's obvious they had it out for Big Red since day one and it ain't no debating that!

Reactions: Crazyhole
Ummm.....if you want to talk conspiracy ALL you have to do is look at the scheduling Nebraska has had since the last realignment!

Forget the ref talk, compare NU's cross conf schedule to Iowa's, Minni, Wiscy and the likes....it's obvious they had it out for Big Red since day one and it ain't no debating that!

One of the biggest is how many times we have played Michigan and Penn St and up to 2020 schedule, we have had only two home game between the both of them.

2nd would be we’ve played original Big 10 school Indiana as many times as Rutgers and Maryland have and they both have been in the confernce 6 years..And Iowa played them 5 times already since 2011..

Yes, they thought they were getting a marquee team, with great matchup battles with OH ST (that explains the constant cross-over). I'd say NU is the one not living up to the plan. They didn't bring us into the league for big market media.

Or maybe we just need to get "good" again? Then everything takes care of itself. Blaming the B1G having something against us is as weak as our issues with Texas and B12. Nobody felt that way when we were kicking ass.
Very good, this, IMO is spot on. Neb. gets a lot attention while others with the similar accomplishments get absolutely no press. Purdue had at least one good season as did Minn and UI but now are back page stories.
Winning will put you back in the news and everybody will read it.

It's just not fair. Other teams get trophies and we don't. Let's all hold a rally and complain until they fix it for us. After the virus passes.

Forgot what an ass that guy was in the article. “Big Ten guy” for sure.
Big Ten guy or not, what did he say that wasn't true? Bo was an ass, when you act like an ass, it doesn't matter if you are coaching little league, girls softball or NFL, you are going to be on the wrong end of some calls, simply because you are an ass.

Big Ten guy or not, what did he say that wasn't true? Bo was an ass, when you act like an ass, it doesn't matter if you are coaching little league, girls softball or NFL, you are going to be on the wrong end of some calls, simply because you are an ass.
I couldn’t care less about Pelini or what some official with little man’s syndrome thinks of him. But basically everything he said in that article was was bush league. And the incident he is so butthurt about, he completely botched, amateur hour style, any coach would be upset in that situation “big ten guy” or not.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
The B1G is a giant good ole boys club and we aren’t good ole boys.
Just my opinion and I have nothing to back it up. I think the year or so leading up to Nebraska joining the BIG, Nebraska had a bit of arrogance, ok a ton of. This mindset that we were bigger and better than most of the other teams in the BIG. That we would come in and with little effort make it our bitch and they were all going to kneel before our greatness.
You can guarantee the BIG10 higher ups and schedule makers and all the other schools took notice. So I think they have since set out to put us in our place by any means necessary. I think that could be why we are seeing the crazy tough schedule year after year. The calls not go our way more often than not. Teams playing extra hard against us. Teams like Iowa and Minn treating it as if they just won the GD National Championship every time they beat us. Having the worst stretch in Neb History has not helped prove we can hang.
I think it is going to take another decade maybe more of winning and proving we belong, before we will officially be accepted into that good ole boys clubs and we are going to get hazed every step of the way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT