Biden's $1.8T for Children and Families

Huskermatt23

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2017
Seattle
Tonight Biden will propose his $1.8T plan to unlock American potential to educate more American's, provide adults the opportunity to gain the skills they need to improve their lives, and ensure child care so Americans can focus on work.

Here are some of the things the bill includes that will help Make America Great Again:

• $225 billion toward high-quality child care and ensuring families pay only a portion of their income toward child-care services, based on a sliding scale
  • $225 billion to create a national comprehensive paid family and medical leave program
  • $200 billion for free universal preschool for all 3- and 4-year-olds, offered through a national partnership with states
  • $109 billion toward ensuring two years of free community college for all students
  • About $85 billion toward Pell Grants, and increasing the maximum award by about $1,400 for low-income students
  • A $62 billion grant program to increase college retention and completion rates
  • A $39 billion program that gives two years of subsidized tuition for students from families earning less than $125,000 enrolled in a four-year historically Black college or university, tribal college or university, or minority-serving institution
  • $45 billion toward meeting child nutritional needs, including by expanding access to the summer EBT program, which helps some low-income families with children buy food outside the school year
  • $200 billion to make permanent the $1.9 trillion Covid stimulus plan’s provision lowering health insurance premiums for those who buy coverage on their own
  • Extending through 2025, and making permanently fully refundable, the child tax credit expansion that was included in the Covid relief bill
  • Making permanent the recent expansion of the child and dependent care tax credit
  • Making permanent the earned income tax credit for childless workers

• Haha
Reactions: HuskerCK

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
Who will pay for all of this? I don't care if people want to help others, but I don't give a shit if little Susie down the street has to struggle and die because I won't pay her family a dollar of my earned wages.

I disagree with taking people's money to help other people. If someone wants to donate their money, great, but taking it is sleezy.

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
Who will pay for all of this? I don't care if people want to help others, but I don't give a shit if little Susie down the street has to struggle and die because I won't pay her family a dollar of my earned wages.

I disagree with taking people's money to help other people. If someone wants to donate their money, great, but taking it is sleezy.
Biden will increase taxes on high earners and corporations. So you’re good, won’t impact you.

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Biden will increase taxes on high earners and corporations. So you’re good, won’t impact you.
Which will account for probably 60% of the spending after its all said and done. Same with the infrastructure bill. The first 2 trillion bill didn't have any additional taxes. So roughly 6 trillion with additional taxes of about 2 trillion. Who's going to pay for the 4 left?

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
Which will account for probably 60% of the spending after its all said and done. Same with the infrastructure bill. The first 2 trillion bill didn't have any additional taxes. So roughly 6 trillion with additional taxes of about 2 trillion. Who's going to pay for the 4 left?
To pay for these initiatives, White House officials are also proposing $1.5 trillion in tax hikes aimed primarily at increasing the amount paid by wealthy Americans and investors. The White House aims to raise money through a sizable increase in enforcement by the Internal Revenue Service, as well as approximately doubling the capital gains tax rate for those earning more than $1 million per year — a measure that would apply to a small fraction of Americans but is likely to face resistance on Capitol Hill.

White House officials have eyed raising as much as $700 billion from toughening IRS enforcement and auditing over 10 years

Huskermatt23

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2017
Seattle

All boats rise with the water. You think the rich were able to become rich with out tax money going to build infrastructure? Do you really think Fedex would be a company if the mass public didn't pay for roads to be created, or that every internet company would exist without government investments in science and broadband, or that your ability to live beyond 30 wouldn't happen without government investments into healthcare and research. We all chip in our part because we all benefit from it, some of us more than others. Those who benefit the most have the most interest in maintaining that system so should shoulder a larger burden.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
True, but Republicans will have to explain in the mid-term why they are against families and children if they stand in the way of it.
American families and children or illegal alien families and children? Before solving one issue you need to solve the other.

We are for sure not solving the kids in cages problem I mean if you want to "be for children".

Reactions: IowaHuskerFan3

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
All boats rise with the water. You think the rich were able to become rich with out tax money going to build infrastructure? Do you really think Fedex would be a company if the mass public didn't pay for roads to be created, or that every internet company would exist without government investments in science and broadband, or that your ability to live beyond 30 wouldn't happen without government investments into healthcare and research. We all chip in our part because we all benefit from it, some of us more than others. Those who benefit the most have the most interest in maintaining that system so should shoulder a larger burden.

Personally, I prefer something like this versus "great" progress.

large25ba9b65b1de2089f14c3fd69bdb753c.JPG

I would love for the internet to die. I don't care if people can next day their packages. I don't want humans living for extended periods of time.

Your examples are things that i wish weren't a thing. And I believe humans should be responsible for themselves, if you get eaten by a cougar, so be it.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
$225 billion toward high-quality child care and ensuring families pay only a portion of their income toward child-care services, based on a sliding scale
I think I'm good with this (Depending on how it would be implemented). Too many families have serious trouble with child care so they can make a living. I can't imagine working for $10-12/hr and trying to pay for daycare. Geez. Takes half your check at least.

$225 billion to create a national comprehensive paid family and medical leave program
Honestly we're so overdue on this one. Just about everywhere in the world has this type of protection. Though some countries go way too far and give you like 2 years maternity/paternity leave.

$200 billion for free universal preschool for all 3- and 4-year-olds, offered through a national partnership with states
1000% behind this. Study after study after study shows better success for students who start earlier.

$109 billion toward ensuring two years of free community college for all students
Totally behind this if it involves trade school too (or more behind it if it does). I'm glad they (at least for now) abandoned the though of free super expensive university tuition. That is a BAD idea.

About $85 billion toward Pell Grants, and increasing the maximum award by about $1,400 for low-income students
I just wish they'd start setting these things as proportionate to inflation. Pell grants are probably LONG overdue for an increase considering they were started in the 90s, weren't they? If they just set it relative to inflation they wouldn't ever have to create a bill to increase it unless they want to fundamentally change what it does.

A $62 billion grant program to increase college retention and completion rates
I'm curious about this one since it's super vague. So skeptical until proven otherwise.

A $39 billion program that gives two years of subsidized tuition for students from families earning less than $125,000 enrolled in a four-year historically Black college or university, tribal college or university, or minority-serving institution
Fine with that. The black community college rate is too low, we need to help.

$45 billion toward meeting child nutritional needs, including by expanding access to the summer EBT program, which helps some low-income families with children buy food outside the school year
I think just about anyone in child welfare will tell you this is a huge need (my wife was for a decade). Just getting kids some dang food.

$200 billion to make permanent the $1.9 trillion Covid stimulus plan’s provision lowering health insurance premiums for those who buy coverage on their own
I don't know enough about this, but my gut is super skeptical here.

Extending through 2025, and making permanently fully refundable, the child tax credit expansion that was included in the Covid relief bill
Fine with that. But the cap probably should be relative to where you live and the cost of living there. $150k in Nebraska does not need it.

Making permanent the recent expansion of the child and dependent care tax credit
Good

Making permanent the earned income tax credit for childless workers
Good

IowaHuskerFan3

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2007
American families and children or illegal alien families and children? Before solving one issue you need to solve the other.

We are for sure not solving the kids in cages problem I mean if you want to "be for children".
Funny that the problem on the boarder is hardly in the news anymore. Kamala must have it under control

Reactions: Jaemekon

kidofSN

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
Pell Grants were started in late 70's and originally called BEOG. Basic Education Opportunity grants!

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
To pay for these initiatives, White House officials are also proposing $1.5 trillion in tax hikes aimed primarily at increasing the amount paid by wealthy Americans and investors. The White House aims to raise money through a sizable increase in enforcement by the Internal Revenue Service, as well as approximately doubling the capital gains tax rate for those earning more than $1 million per year — a measure that would apply to a small fraction of Americans but is likely to face resistance on Capitol Hill.

White House officials have eyed raising as much as $700 billion from toughening IRS enforcement and auditing over 10 years
I was referring to what the numbers will actually be. Wasn't intended to be exact numbers. If they say 1.5 the real number will be something less than that. My pessimistic view would be about 2/3. That's probably the low end.

IRS can definitely raise some money by increasing enforcement. They've gone way more heavily to computer reviews as opposed to good old fashioned audits. They've said that a lot though for several years now and then cut back on staff.

Huskermatt23

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2017
Seattle
Personally, I prefer something like this versus "great" progress.

large25ba9b65b1de2089f14c3fd69bdb753c.JPG

I would love for the internet to die. I don't care if people can next day their packages. I don't want humans living for extended periods of time.

Your examples are things that i wish weren't a thing. And I believe humans should be responsible for themselves, if you get eaten by a cougar, so be it.
By all means, go drop out and stop participating in society.

Extreme55

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2015
Somewhere between here and there.
It’s a mystery! But but rich people.

meribeau

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2005
The rich already is paying for the infrastructure numnuts

Reactions: Bobfather

Husker69

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
The rich already is paying for the infrastructure numnuts
Are all the rich paying their fair share in taxes? You know, those numerous tax attorneys cost a lot of money so those people don’t have to pay a proportion of taxes relative to income say like the middle class. People earning between 75,000-150,000.

You hear a lot about the top 1 percent or even say the top 5-10 percent of income earners paying this huge proportion of income taxes relative to all income tax paid by all income groups. But details be damned.

But break it down to percentage of income paid in taxes relative to income and what constitutes income to tax Or not. I would guess so many people, maybe millions, don’t pay federal and maybe state income taxes as a proportion of actual income like the middle class does. You know us peons who have simpler tax situations. We try to actually be honest and transparent.

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
Is it your contention that corporations don’t pass any part of a tax increase on to the consumer by increasing the price of their product?
Correct. I work in finance, and have in the past worked in various pricing roles for F500 and smaller companies. Income taxes played zero role in pricing strategy. Companies charge what the market will allow while making maximum profit.
This is also why we didn’t see corporations decrease prices after Trumps corporate tax cut. Why would they cut prices if the market will bear higher?

nordakotahusker

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Correct. I work in finance, and have in the past worked in various pricing roles for F500 and smaller companies. Income taxes played zero role in pricing strategy. Companies charge what the market will allow while making maximum profit.
This is also why we didn’t see corporations decrease prices after Trumps corporate tax cut. Why would they cut prices if the market will bear higher?

Maybe you didn't look at those graphs? The price rose on products with both inelastic and elastic demand. More obviously for products with inelastic demand.

Are you saying that in theory prices will go up, but in practice they don't?

burntorange72

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2004

Did you read the article you posted? The articles states, “So the cost of corporate taxes is usually split between the company and the customer.”

Unless you are going to hang your hat on the word “usually”, the article pretty clearly states some portion of the tax increase is going to be passed on to the customer. It may mean the pound package costs more or the cost is the same but the package no longer is a full pound.
The concept that taxes, unlike any other cost increase, is not not to play a part in pricing is pure nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: nordakotahusker