Biden is making getting a high paying job easier

Huskermatt23

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2017
Seattle
Passing an executive order to reduce non-compete clauses and reduce the requirements for occupational licenses which are barriers to some entering a career field. The results will be more people can get into higher paying fields of work without all the red tape that has kept them out and also increases competition for employees by mostly eliminating non-compete clauses which will result in increase salaries.

Both of these are good, no reason someone needs to jump through a bunch of hoops to paint your wives' finger nails, and non-compete clauses are out of control. Just because you had a non-important job in an industry you shouldn't be banned from holding another job in that industry for a year or more if you leave your company.

Biden.... Making American Great Again

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
Passing an executive order to reduce non-compete clauses and reduce the requirements for occupational licenses which are barriers to some entering a career field. The results will be more people can get into higher paying fields of work without all the red tape that has kept them out and also increases competition for employees by mostly eliminating non-compete clauses which will result in increase salaries.

Both of these are good, no reason someone needs to jump through a bunch of hoops to paint your wives' finger nails, and non-compete clauses are out of control. Just because you had a non-important job in an industry you shouldn't be banned from holding another job in that industry for a year or more if you leave your company.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001

"“While occupational licensing can serve important health and safety concerns, unnecessary or overly burdensome licensing can lock people out of jobs,” she added."

This could be good or really bad for the license part. Here are some really bad ones:

Architect-philosophusker would know best here
People in charge of Bridge Building/roads
medical profession
pilot
air traffic controller
bus driver for kids

Reactions: philosophusker

scopeandtime

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
"“While occupational licensing can serve important health and safety concerns, unnecessary or overly burdensome licensing can lock people out of jobs,” she added."

This could be good or really bad for the license part. Here are some really bad ones:

medical profession
pilot
air traffic controller
bus driver for kids
Those jobs will continue to have relatively stringent licencing. Recent occupational licensing reform has tackled low wage, low skill licencing like hair cutting, manicurist, esthetician...things like that. It's actually been primarily a conservative effort so it's good to see Joe doing some good bipartisanship.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Those jobs will continue to have relatively stringent licencing. Recent occupational licensing reform has tackled low wage, low skill licencing like hair cutting, manicurist, esthetician...things like that. It's actually been primarily a conservative effort so it's good to see Joe doing some good bipartisanship.
Is it detailed somewhere that is what's being discussed? I don't see it anywhere stating that. If so great, but these from Biden seem to be hidden surprises.

Huskermatt23

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2017
Seattle

medical profession
pilot
air traffic controller
bus driver for kids
I am sure any job that requires a license that pertains to the safety of others will remain, but these days it seems like you need a license for every job which is just as ridiculous as requiring a college degree to every job. Making people jump through hoops and pay fees just to get a job is dumb in most cases. Do you really feel someone needs a license to do nails, do makeup, cut hair, be a security guard, be a funeral attendant, clean your dog's butt hole, be a travel agent?

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Is it detailed somewhere that is what's being discussed? I don't see it anywhere stating that. If so great, but these from Biden seem to be hidden surprises.
I was just speaking about things that States have done so far, which seems like what Biden might be focusing on. I don't think the EOs/Actions have been released yet, but I'm sure it won't actually do much as States have control of most occupational licensing.

Here is a surprising good Koch Brothers read, lol:

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
I was just speaking about things that States have done so far, which seems like what Biden might be focusing on. I don't think the EOs/Actions have been released yet, but I'm sure it won't actually do much as States have control of most occupational licensing.

Here is a surprising good Koch Brothers read, lol:

David Koch has been dead for a few years. He's not writing anything.

I do actually appreciate the honesty about the states info etc.

philosophusker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2004
Jonesboro, Arkansas (York, NE originally)

medical profession
pilot
air traffic controller
bus driver for kids
Yeah definitely depends on the license. I am definitely in favor of certain licenses that are more important to public health, safety and welfare.

Reactions: Jaemekon

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
David Koch has been dead for a few years. He's not writing anything.

I do actually appreciate the honesty about the states info etc.
Well good thing that’s Charles Koch’s website then.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Yes to deregulation. That part will actually reduce wages though.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yes to deregulation. That part will actually reduce future wage increases though.
FIFY. Yes, marginally. Also increases jobs, improves new unlicensed worker wages, improves overall mobility metrics, etc...

I need your full support, Jim.

Reactions: Jim14510

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
FIFY. Yes, marginally. Also increases jobs, improves new unlicensed worker wages, improves overall mobility metrics, etc...

I'll allow it. As long as we agree the restrictions on non competes will increase future wages marginally. Overall the wages will be minimally impacted within the industries affected.

Jobs lost by improvements in technology will be partially offset by the unlicensed workers. They may see a small increase in wages but they'll be paid less than licensed or previously licensed workers if they do away with the licenses all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: scopeandtime

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017

Might want to revisit that like assuming it was before I edited.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Might want to revisit that like assuming it was before I edited.
I'm with you on the first paragraph. The second paragraph, I'm not sure I am clear with your statement on technological job losses and licencing.

We have yet to see any of these reforms lead to wages dropping below the level prior to the reform/intervention. There have been a few causal studies that show marginally lower wages in the proceeding periods after the implementation, but none reflect wages dropping below the levels prior to the policy treatment. There are some underlying mechanics(wage elasticity, probable monopsony power, labor demand, etc) that are sustaining wage levels and our priors were probably misaligned.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
I'm with you on the first paragraph. The second paragraph, I'm not sure I am clear with your statement on technological job losses and licencing.

We have yet to see any of these reforms lead to wages dropping below the level prior to the reform/intervention. There have been a few causal studies that show marginally lower wages in the proceeding periods after the implementation, but none reflect wages dropping below the levels prior to the policy treatment. There are some underlying mechanics(wage elasticity, probable monopsony power, labor demand, etc) that are sustaining wage levels and our priors were probably misaligned.
Not that the two are related. Just that technological advances with point of sale/self check out, manufacturing, blah blah blah slowly(?) reducing jobs for high school educated people could be somewhat replaced with the increase in jobs that previously required licenses.

I'm ok with wages not being reduced and only slowing wage growth in those fields. Lot of variables there including current market of those jobs and future economic conditions playing bigger roles.

Reactions: scopeandtime