ADVERTISEMENT

Betts - not signing early but “on path”

Well I think he has point. This continues to happen to the program, and he's calling it out for what it could be.
I doubt the kid is reading this site, and the world doesn't need more fake sunshine pumpers.. certainly not in Huskerland. It amazes me how 'fans' can complain about the results on Saturdays, but a week later they can't stand anything negative pointed out about their dear program.

I think it's a great point.. Frost and Co seem to be investing a lot of time on guys who may never make.. whom the rest of the college football world isn't ready to invest time into, and maybe it will pay off someday, but top 20 programs don't recruit like this, so why are we?

From what I can tell, we have 1 good recruiter, and Frost can only promise the starting job to only so many recruits, and we have seen how well that has worked out so far.

From my perspective, they keep doing the same things, and getting the same results. Don't be surprised if we don't go to a bowl game next year either. Sorry, that is prob a bit too negative for you.

Exactly, this is depressing.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I don't get how these kids don't get it. All the camps and testing they do doesn't mean squat if you don't get acceptable grades. Are they not told this by recruiters, high school coaches, rivals, camps???

Most of the time it is from 9th grade and 10th grade. Before they really even start getting looked at and realize they can go to college.

Soooo many students end 9th grade with a 1.0 GPA and stuff like that...you have put yourself in a hole that is hard to get out of...next year you do okay and get a 2.0, you are still at a 1.5...

It is just hard when you start off bad.

I tell kids, think of it like a race...if you start off slow it is really hard to catch up and win.

In different threads we have had posters claim to have “heard” that Betts has below a 2.0 gpa and that he scored a 12 on the ACT. That must be some creative plan NU came up with to get him eligible.
If this is the case, the kid is JUCO bound.

The information Tuco has provided is accurate. John Ross is right on as well. Many schools, I don't know his school's, have standards for playing eligibility that does not meet graduation or definitely not NCAA requirements. It always bothered me as a teacher and later as a HS principal when the state says a kid has to be "passing" 5 classes to be eligible when many schools require 24 credits to pass. So pass 5 classes for 4 years and you have 20 credits. We changed all of our policies to reflect weekly eligibility that would result in graduation and our academics were difficult. I had some kids go into the NCAA clearinghouse and parents/coaches were always looking for the edge on that, there aren't any. One kid was headed to KU and was supposed to take a summer math class. His dad was the coach and instead he went to camps all over the state. He wanted me to "fix it" for him, I not only would not, I could not. So even those that think they know what is going on, often don't.

So yes, these kids take their freshman algebra class and either fail a semester or a year and or pass with a D and think things are OK, hey I passed. I used to hear this stupid saying "a D stands for Diploma." Someone tells them they need to get their GPA up and they always think there is time. Like the kid who screws around all semester and then starts turning in work the last week, too little too late,

If, the grades are in the 2.0 or below area, that makes it a very high hill to climb. It is a combination mess of not only having a terrible GPA to raise, but you also missed the core elements of the class to help you get a qualifying score on the ACT. You don't get upper 20's ACT scores with low level math and science classes and by taking classes intended to just get you to pass (on-line) rather than focus on learning the skills you need for English, Science Reasoning, Math and others.

Here is a good link that lays it out. It is rather complicated when you start looking at the sliding scale and core classes. https://www.athleticscholarships.net/academic-requirements.htm

yall will get him in and as everyone knows
once he gets there he will always be eligible . Cant recall anyone becoming ineligible after they get to Lincoln ..no one
I heard no one has seen that California running back either that has a trial going on , still enrolled, not going to practice or classes, but I am sure he is still eligible

Well I think he has point. This continues to happen to the program, and he's calling it out for what it could be.
I doubt the kid is reading this site, and the world doesn't need more fake sunshine pumpers.. certainly not in Huskerland. It amazes me how 'fans' can complain about the results on Saturdays, but a week later they can't stand anything negative pointed out about their dear program.

I think it's a great point.. Frost and Co seem to be investing a lot of time on guys who may never make.. whom the rest of the college football world isn't ready to invest time into, and maybe it will pay off someday, but top 20 programs don't recruit like this, so why are we?

From what I can tell, we have 1 good recruiter, and Frost can only promise the starting job to only so many recruits, and we have seen how well that has worked out so far.

From my perspective, they keep doing the same things, and getting the same results. Don't be surprised if we don't go to a bowl game next year either. Sorry, that is prob a bit too negative for you.
If what you’re saying is that Frost should have hired one or two more proven big time recruiters for his staff, I agree. But I don’t see him doing that any time soon, if ever.

I doubt the kid is reading this site, and the world doesn't need more fake sunshine pumpers.. certainly not in Huskerland.

Yes, I am always thinking to myself. The world needs more negativity, more pessimism, more conspiracy theories, more personal attacks and baseless accusations. Thank god we have you around to make sure we can come up with enough things to get outraged about.

Last edited:
If what you’re saying is that Frost should have hired one or two more proven big time recruiters for his staff, I agree. But I don’t see him doing that any time soon, if ever.
Sure, I would like to see that too. But that’s not what he’s saying. He’s accusing Frost of promising players starting positions which is ridiculous and completely baseless, Heck we almost lost Wandale Robinson because Coach Frost wouldn’t do just that. He is also saying we shouldn’t have recruited Betts at all, which is also ridiculous. The kid is one of the best WR prospects in the country and lives in our own backyard, I guarantee this same poster would be losing this mind if we didn’t recruit him and the kid verbaled to Minnesota. We didn’t let him sign, so we aren’t out anything right now, it’s sucks he has academic issues, but our staff didn’t create that problem this guy just looks for new and creative things to bitch about everyday.

Someone call Lori Laughlin. She knows how to get this done.
OGC.0cc739d4a3159da15fd7c130f336fe30

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe if you retake a class the original grade still counts toward your GPA. If you go from a D to a C in the same class both grades are still figured into the GPA.
How the heck can that be. You would never qualify ...

once he gets there he will always be eligible . Cant recall anyone becoming ineligible after they get to Lincoln ..no one
I heard no one has seen that California running back either that has a trial going on , still enrolled, not going to practice or classes, but I am sure he is still eligible
Why are you so butthurt? Mom or Dad or an Uncle?

Dude. Iowa meth is strong. Be careful with that stuff.

Exhibit A: Nathan Gerry

Washington is suspended indefinitely. Is he still eligible? Who knows? But the odds he plays again in a Nebraska uniform are minimal...

That’s 2 strikes... care for a third swing?

If we dont go after betts, heres the vultures:
“Kid is a generational talent with size we need right in our backfield...and we don't even go after him in the chance he makes grades?? I can see if he’s from California, but worth the risk since he’s homegrown. Cant let guys like this end up elsewhere in case he makes it. Of all the things I can be critical about this year, I need to find other ways to crap all over this board so everyone knows just how expert, badass, and pissed off I am.”
And you will deny this but deep down you know its true.
You people literally cannot be pleased.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT