ADVERTISEMENT

Betts - not signing early but “on path”

Academics. Believe me, you have to try really hard to flunk out of Bellevue West. Lets just say he has been, well, lackadaisical with academics. Sometimes the lightbulb doesn't kick in until it is too late and kids start realizing the $$$ they are laying on the table by not taking care of the grades.

Hey looks the the kid is prioritizing things, get his grades in line and sign in February. Hopefully everything works out for him and Nebraska

he said he had to retake a few classes and hit his ACT right. And I have no doubt in mind he he will make it. None in my mind.

Maybe someone like @Tuco Salamanca knows the academic rules better than me, but even if Betts fails to graduate in the Spring, he can still take summer school and pass and still graduate. I think he could still enroll at UNL and be on the team. The summer classes are mainly by computer and if you work hard and get your stuff together, you can pass in a couple of weeks.

Maybe someone like @Tuco Salamanca knows the academic rules better than me, but even if Betts fails to graduate in the Spring, he can still take summer school and pass and still graduate. I think he could still enroll at UNL and be on the team. The summer classes are mainly by computer and if you work hard and get your stuff together, you can pass in a couple of weeks.

dead on. We see a few players do that exact thing too. It’s definitely possible and Betts is doing what ever it takes to make it.

Academics. Believe me, you have to try really hard to flunk out of Bellevue West. Lets just say he has been, well, lackadaisical with academics. Sometimes the lightbulb doesn't kick in until it is too late and kids start realizing the $$$ they are laying on the table by not taking care of the grades.
Well he clearly isn’t “flunking out of Bell West”. So I’m going to go ahead and take your assessment of his academic standing with a grain of salt.

I really doubt it’s a matter of him not graduating. It’s a sliding scale between ACT score and GPA to pass the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe if you retake a class the original grade still counts toward your GPA. If you go from a D to a C in the same class both grades are still figured into the GPA.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe if you retake a class the original grade still counts toward your GPA. If you go from a D to a C in the same class both grades are still figured into the GPA.
I'm not sure. I suppose the University could have a different policy than the school? I happened to have been on Academic Probation at one point in my UNL career. My retake grades were taken over my original failing grades. One of my kids failed some classes at Bellevue West and had to retake in the summer. I don't know that I looked at the GPA to see how they figured it.

I really doubt it’s a matter of him not graduating. It’s a sliding scale between ACT score and GPA to pass the NCAA Clearinghouse.
Fair enough. He has some grade issues. I just equate that to not graduating. My son at West had some of the same issues. Of course, you can graduate with a D average in this day and age but not qualify for college at the same time.

Reactions: headcard
Chalk up another 4 star that never signs with us
Wow your really pessimistic. We’re pulling for the kid to make grades, which it sounds like that’s exactly what he’s going, so your basically saying the kid isn’t to bright and will end up at some juco or won’t ever enroll. Might be better to encourage the young man or just don’t post negative stuff

I don't get how these kids don't get it. All the camps and testing they do doesn't mean squat if you don't get acceptable grades. Are they not told this by recruiters, high school coaches, rivals, camps???

Wow your really pessimistic. We’re pulling for the kid to make grades, which it sounds like that’s exactly what he’s going, so your basically saying the kid isn’t to bright and will end up at some juco or won’t ever enroll. Might be better to encourage the young man or just don’t post negative stuff
Pessimistic aka douche.

I don't get how these kids don't get it. All the camps and testing they do doesn't mean squat if you don't get acceptable grades. Are they not told this by recruiters, high school coaches, rivals, camps???
Year ago when I played high school football you had to keep your grades up or you didn’t play, same went for baseball and wrestling. Do the high school today not have any rules like that or do they just no enforce them?

Reactions: huskerfan66
Year ago when I played high school football you had to keep your grades up or you didn’t play, same went for baseball and wrestling. Do the high school today not have any rules like that or do they just no enforce them?
Typically you have no pass no play rules. But as been discussed on here before, passing and graduating get you a diploma but does not qualify you to play college football.

Yes, my experience is that it is the test score that they need to improve. After 4 years of high school, the difference in 2 or 3 classes doesn't affect the GPA all that much. Also remember that only core classes count for eligibility clearinghouse. Depending on what classes the player is taking in the summer and what classes they are looking to replace, it can be an uphill battle. As someone mentioned above I think the first 7-10 classes taken are locked in, so they are not replaced. Rather the new grade goes in, in addition. So if a player got a D in freshman math, retakes it as a senior and gets an A, both grades count. So 4 point and 1 point is 5 points. Divided by 2 and you get 2.5. which is barely above the minimum GPA needed to be eligible.

Long story short, it is just sometimes much easier to improve the test score, so the GPA on the sliding scale can still be on the lower end.

Sorry if that is confusing.

I hope he pulls through. But how often do you see a top 100 recruit get next to no attention from big programs? How come Notre Dame Tennessee Michigan et cetera were recruiting Watts but weren't giving Betts the time of day? His GPA is abysmal. From what I have heard it's below a 2.0. He has a long way to go to qualify so excuse me if I seem a little pesimistic because I know his commitment has always been an empty one.

I hope he pulls through. But how often do you see a top 100 recruit get next to no attention from big programs? How come Notre Dame Tennessee Michigan et cetera were recruiting Watts but weren't giving Betts the time of day? His GPA is abysmal. From what I have heard it's below a 2.0. He has a long way to go to qualify so excuse me if I seem a little pesimistic because I know his commitment has always been an empty one.
“What I heard”.. Get out.

I am sure I have a reputation for being a bit on the negative side of things, but I have a hard time believing his GPA is below a 2.0 and the coaches are telling him that there is a path to being a full qualifier.. If his GPA was below a 2.0 you would have to score in the 26 range on your ACT. Even with a 26ish score you would come in as an academic redshirt. He must be able to get the GPA up to the 2.3 needed, which would require him to get 23ish score and still be a full qualifier. JMHO

If he qualifies, gonna have to see if any new niceties or amenities go up around Bellevue West campus :p With all the budget cuts around Offutt the schools were down to rationing TP and cutting the sh*t out of programs left and right.

I am sure I have a reputation for being a bit on the negative side of things, but I have a hard time believing his GPA is below a 2.0 and the coaches are telling him that there is a path to being a full qualifier.. If his GPA was below a 2.0 you would have to score in the 26 range on your ACT. Even with a 26ish score you would come in as an academic redshirt. He must be able to get the GPA up to the 2.3 needed, which would require him to get 23ish score and still be a full qualifier. JMHO
Don’t use your fancy math and common sense here.

In different threads we have had posters claim to have “heard” that Betts has below a 2.0 gpa and that he scored a 12 on the ACT. That must be some creative plan NU came up with to get him eligible.

Well, just hope he figures it out. He looks so good out there at times. TBF, it is hard for me to judge though because the competition just isn't that good around him and he takes plays off.

Well I think he has point. This continues to happen to the program, and he's calling it out for what it could be.
I doubt the kid is reading this site, and the world doesn't need more fake sunshine pumpers.. certainly not in Huskerland. It amazes me how 'fans' can complain about the results on Saturdays, but a week later they can't stand anything negative pointed out about their dear program.

I think it's a great point.. Frost and Co seem to be investing a lot of time on guys who may never make.. whom the rest of the college football world isn't ready to invest time into, and maybe it will pay off someday, but top 20 programs don't recruit like this, so why are we?

From what I can tell, we have 1 good recruiter, and Frost can only promise the starting job to only so many recruits, and we have seen how well that has worked out so far.

From my perspective, they keep doing the same things, and getting the same results. Don't be surprised if we don't go to a bowl game next year either. Sorry, that is prob a bit too negative for you.

This was anticipated. He would be foolish and it would be bad for us to sign him until he's fully qualified. I think he'll be fine when it's all said and done.
I know it was anticipated. But “anticipated” or not, it is not a good sign that he is still struggling with grades. Glad he is not signing. I don’t want him taking up a scholarship that could go to someone who will, you know, actually show up here. I am not opposed to taking a chance on the kid, but let’s not be blinded by his talent either. Too many recruiting busts at that position. We need solid, reliable recruits right now at that spot. We don’t need anymore drama.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT