ADVERTISEMENT

Better hire? Rhule or Sanders?

Well, I'll say this - if Rhule's ceiling is unranked 8 win seasons, then we massively overpaid for him - you don't have to pay $9 million/year for that.
I'd say his ceiling is higher than that 8 wins... Just might not be this year or next.. Get over the 6 game mark/bowl game next year and continue to build up from there (disclaimer: I DONT have 6 games as the mark for success next season, just saying we averaged 3/4 games last 5 years)

Reactions: BleedRed78
Harbaugh, Saban, Day, Dikes, Smart, Swinney, Brian Kelly, Fickell, Orgeron - more Rhule than Sanders.

These are the coaches that have coached their teams to the CFP the last few years. Lincoln Riley is the only one that seems to be a little more flash and celebrity than the rest.

Last edited:
The circus in Colorado is going to be damn fun. Could be a lot of words saying nothing or a true peak at the new way of things in college football. Either way, having Prime be Prime is great for college football and I’m here for it.

I will tell you 12 months from now. I think we will be able to tell quite a bit after one season. I am not talking wins, but style of play and structure. Game management, etc. . It seems to me Rhule is gettting a pass by many fans because of Mickey. The program can either flounder as a result of Mickey’s meltdown or it can move on and become better. I believe Rhule is getting paid millions and millions of dollars to right the ship and get our team moving forward in a positive direction. No excuses

Reactions: king_kong_
except he's telling everyone he's going to work them so hard he wants them to quit
That and he actually seems to be getting legit interest from top tier recruits. He still needs to sign these guys, but the response for Prime is way different. It's also interesting because you are going to have to be a mega brand HOF guy like Deion to get that kind of response and it just makes me curious who else would fit that criteria. He's kind of a unicorn as most guys like him go to TV or kind of just fade away.

I'd say Rhule hands down over sanders. I see Sanders as a SF type hire that could go either way. Had he been our hire I'd have been pretty disappointed going forward. I'm sure CU would have preferred a Rhule type hire but flashy was the only option available willing to take the job. Granted our team sucks but money Rhules the day so we got the more proven.

The far more interesting hire is Sanders of course, impossible to determine right now who got the better end of this though. IMO

We'll find out week 2 next season...
I hope to be there. My cousin who was born and has lived in Denver his entire life is a huge CU and Bronco fan. He and I use to go to Denver Bears baseball games back when we were kids. I took him to the last Husker game in Boulder and I hope to take him next September as well. He found out this fall that he has esophageal cancer. He doesn’t drink nor smoke and is pretty bitter about the situation. Sports has been his whole life. He has never been married. His three siblings are all very supportive and I do everything I can for him. I am just waiting for a call from his youngest sister for a date and time to move him into her house and I will fly out to help the process. He works at Costco in Parker and he always has a story to tell about talking to a former Bronco he sees there. His all-time favorite player is Bobby Anderson.

My goodness people are absolutely terrified of this game next year and what it may or may not say about our hire

Already people hedging in case of a loss

Cant wait for the game

My goodness people are absolutely terrified of this game next year and what it may or may not say about our hire

Already people hedging in case of a loss

Cant wait for the game
I personally don't get the worry over DS and the game next year. sCUm was so unbelievably bad this year. They lost by an average of 15-44. I don't care who the coach is in Boulder, that's an incredibly steep climb to get them back to being competitive.

I'm sure he'll bring in a bunch of guys who couldnt hack it at big time programs but look at OU this year. A team full of portal players doesn't mean DS well be instantly successful.

Lastly, is been said 100 times already but DS is massively inexperienced. Color me skeptical that sCUm will be competitive in week 2 of a complete overhaul.

I will say it is a great case study and if it works, I bet it encourages more of it.
We have to define “works”.
Colorado is so freaking bad. Sanders wouldnt necessarily be a good hire for a team with something going for it. Well, at
least he hasnt proven yet that he would be.
But for a bad program that isnt winning games and hasnt in years? And for a program that even nick saban would struggle to bring championships to? Its a good hire. As Ive said before I dont expect sanders to win national titles there (nor would I most coaches), but he will improve the program.
Other programs? Jury is out.

Reactions: timnsun
I’m gonna ask the question again… will recruits forego NIL to play at CU simply because of Deion? I’m sure some will, but if they don’t have NIL lined up, not enough will go there to help him win. My opinion only.

Edit: they don’t even have the money to pay sanders without some fundraising going on…

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/12/05/colorado-ad-deion-sanders-contract-money
He was bringining in 5 star players to Jackson State and paying them $1,000,000. At CU there will be 30 5 star guys lining g up. If you think CU album don't have billions of dollars you're crazy

He was bringining in 5 star players to Jackson State and paying them $1,000,000. At CU there will be 30 5 star guys lining g up. If you think CU album don't have billions of dollars you're crazy
You’ve got me curious, so I decided to check.

Sanders brought in 1 5 star player to JSU. No small accomplishment, to be sure… but still, just 1.

Colorado better get their NIL figured out, otherwise you’re gonna look silly. And considering they have to do a little fundraising to pay the coach, I’m gonna guess they don’t have NIL all figured out yet either.

Edit: my source was 247, so I figure that’s a fair source.

Theoretically, Boulder is littered with multi-millionaires, that is a fact. However, a large percentage have prolly never watched a single down of football...care way more about driving Priuses while they look down their noses at, everyone who doesn't.....etc etc. We'll see if that place turns into an NIL lottery for CFB players. I have my doubts...Prime will make em better though. This was a home run for Colorado, but that doesn't mean tbey're suddenly going to have 4 and 5 stars lined up around the corner waiting to cash their check. I would go so far as to say a lot of the wealth in that town resents star athletes. Having said all that, I can't wait to watch this play out.

The hype around Sanders hiring reminds me so much of the hype and bravado of the Scott Frost hiring at Nebraska. It’s the CU version of “We’re going to make them adjust to us.”
There's a big difference between Sanders and Frost. One can recruit elite athletes and the other can't.

I personally don't get the worry over DS and the game next year. sCUm was so unbelievably bad this year. They lost by an average of 15-44. I don't care who the coach is in Boulder, that's an incredibly steep climb to get them back to being competitive.

I'm sure he'll bring in a bunch of guys who couldnt hack it at big time programs but look at OU this year. A team full of portal players doesn't mean DS well be instantly successful.

Lastly, is been said 100 times already but DS is massively inexperienced. Color me skeptical that sCUm will be competitive in week 2 of a complete overhaul.
CU football really fell off the cliff after Barnett exited in 2005. However since then, we've played them 7 times, only winning 4 time with the losses all to CU teams with losing records. Granted, 2022 was probably their worst season in modern history, but they always get up for NU, and they will be highly energized for their first home game under Sanders. Rhule also has his own challenges re-establishing a culture where NU knows how to finish teams off once they have the lead. That's been a problem for years, and thinking Rhule will have that cured by week 2 also seems highly optimistic. Anyway, those are my reasons for worry over a Sanders-lead CU team.

Last edited:
I'm

CU football really fell off the cliff after Barnett exited in 2005. However since then, we've played them 7 times, only winning 4 time with the losses all to CU teams with losing records. Granted, 2022 was probably their worst season in modern history, but they always get up for NU, and they will be highly energized for their first home game under Sanders. Rhule also has his own challenges re-establishing a culture where NU knows how to finish teams off once they have the lead. That's been a problem for years, and thinking Rhule will have that cured by week 2 also seems highly optimistic. Anyway, those are my reasons for worry over a Sanders-lead CU team.
If Rhule doesn’t win that game - he shouldn’t be allowed on the plane heading back

Just kidding ….. (maybe)

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I would go so far as to say a lot of the wealth in that town resents star athletes. Having said all that, I can't wait to watch this play out.

This article was written by a CU faculty member.

https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/why-is-the-university-of-colorado

“This is no revelation. In a 2020 report the Education Trust gave the University of Colorado Boulder an “F” for Black student access. CU Boulder is overwhelmingly inaccessible to Black students, that is just a fact.”

Another article from the Denver Post.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/...oulder-for-decades-do-you-believe-us-now/amp/

This article was written by a CU faculty member.

https://rogerpielkejr.substack.com/p/why-is-the-university-of-colorado

“This is no revelation. In a 2020 report the Education Trust gave the University of Colorado Boulder an “F” for Black student access. CU Boulder is overwhelmingly inaccessible to Black students, that is just a fact.”

Another article from the Denver Post.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/...oulder-for-decades-do-you-believe-us-now/amp/

Never saw those articles before but will check 'em out.....I also know there was a time when that University screwed it's very own citizens by accepting to many outsiders so-as to collect the extra tuition and rejected their own citizens living in their back yard...now maybe a lot of schools do it, but it was next level there. That University is just whack....just like most of the people living there. Haha.

Never saw those articles before but will check 'em out.....I also know there was a time when that University screwed it's very own citizens by accepting to many outsiders so-as to collect the extra tuition and rejected their own citizens living in their back yard...now maybe a lot of schools do it, but it was next level there. That University is just whack....just like most of the people living there. Haha.
The preferred slant to out of state students still exists.

After NU blew the game against CU in Boulder in 2019, we encountered some CU college kids heckling Husker fans saying go back to Nebraska. I told them to go back to California, and the look on their faces was almost like "how did you know"

This is very common amongst the top tier public schools - admit the bare minimum of instate applicants in favor of out of state candidates who will pay the jacked up out of state tuition cost

Reactions: yankeesgiants
Basically for Sanders it comes down to how will he "cut it" in the P5 at Colorado? Will he be able to "cut the mustard" and be a big success? Or, will he just "cut the cheese" and stink up Boulder? :)

Reactions: timnsun
Theoretically, Boulder is littered with multi-millionaires, that is a fact. However, a large percentage have prolly never watched a single down of football...care way more about driving Priuses while they look down their noses at, everyone who doesn't.....etc etc. We'll see if that place turns into an NIL lottery for CFB players. I have my doubts...Prime will make em better though. This was a home run for Colorado, but that doesn't mean tbey're suddenly going to have 4 and 5 stars lined up around the corner waiting to cash their check. I would go so far as to say a lot of the wealth in that town resents star athletes. Having said all that, I can't wait to watch this play out.
The majority of CU alums are out of staters. They go to that school because it's a great school in a gorgeous setting and it's a really fun place to go. They don't donate to the school, they don't support athletics, and the don't cheer on the Buffs. They will tune in if the Buffs are in a conference title game. I have a real hard time believing they are going to be able to bankroll this for Sanders. Tucker left after a year.

probably worth noting for those blind Deion haters:

FjVNfSCX0Ags7vt

Prime is becoming a bit of a Paul Bunyon story. He has only ever coached 3 seasons at the lowest level of D1 football. He recruited one 5 star. He used his own money to give his team an advantage in facilities. He was a rockstar hanging out at the local pub using his own money to buy everyone drinks.

P5 is a whole other world. The cold, snowy Rocky Mountains is a whole other world. Plenty of other rockstars in nicer pubs in warm climates with more money to throw around.

Who knows if he'll succeed, but their isn't much besides his ability to promote himself to go off of yet.

I think Rhule is better choice.

The fact that there’s even a thread and lots of opinions about this probably gives us our answer.

Sanders won't be in Boulder five years from now. What is to follow will be a great circus act but little else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT