ADVERTISEMENT

Better hire? Rhule or Sanders?

I have a bad feeling that Colorado will have a better coaching staff and add a bunch of talent.

I guess if you call this better. Right now it looks like at least 5 coaches from his Jackson St. staff.
His DC with several years in the NFL, 2 who have cut their teeth at the lower levels and two who followed Deion from Trinity Christin H.S. to Jackson St. Also his director of player personnel, who’s experience prior to JSU was a community college.

https://coloradobuffaloeswire.usato...sist-of-a-number-of-jackson-state-assistants/

(great cultural fit)
I think rhule is a better hire, more of a cultural fit..
rhule gets hired and in couple of days he's hitting the streets of omaha to scottsbluffs for recruits...
on one hand, and on the other hand, he's pulling in coaches from all over bringing in recruits from all over.
basicly a master mind at work, thinking about the run game constantly, with some passing.
and getting the players to block and tackle in practice instead of dancing.

(terrible cultural fit)
then you have , neon deon and cu...
we all know how bad cu is, blown out in 11 games with cal as their superbowl..
then deon turns his back on jackson state, for the above????
there's been a fire storm about that...good luck starting with tcu, before a NU pounding.
but we will be gracious and leave a portal door open for that 5 star travis guy, if he comes to his senses.
or deon as a db coach...

the biggest winner in this besides trev, is the NU fan...
we finally thought about a coaching hire based on logic and not hype.
This. Listen to DS's announcement presser and his player meeting. Basically Frost 2.0.

I think Rhule for the long term, Sanders for the immediate term. I think Prime can turn Colorado around in a couple of years, but when he does, he’ll get cherry picked for a different job. I think Rhule’s rebuild will be more methodical, but I think he’ll stick around longer.

Colorado has a lot of catching up to do the next year, play TCU on the road first game, their last 4 games are on the road, a mid schedule that has them home 4 straight but two tough ones in that stretch. We’ll see how prime the buffs are early and often.

Last edited:
If CU "doesnt have the money for Deion himself", how much money could there be for an assistant coaches salary pool... Looks like he will be taking a large portion of the JSU staff????

*edit* Seen a tweet suggesting Willie Taggert will be joining his staff...

Neon will bring in the better recruits year 1 and 2. But long term Rhule is the better hire. He will stick around while Neon will be looking for an SEC or FSU by year three.

What is Colorado’s NIL potential? If it isn’t top 20, he’s gonna have to sell them on the program and expect them to forego a crap ton of NIL money for the possibility he could get them to the NFL. I just don’t see them being able to compete consistently for the 4 and 5 star recruits he’s gonna want to bring in.

Unless CU has an extensive NIL budget I guess.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Lane Kiffin would have been a nice compromise between the two

Good mix of zany high jinks and professionalism

Last edited:
I do hope Sanders fails.

1. It's sCUm.
2. Maybe it will be the end of those commercials where he and Nick Satan are jakking each other off, fighting over the first reach around and chasing goats.

Reactions: bshirt73
Gut feeling: As much as I think he’s an incredibly solid guy, recruiting may struggle with Rhule—have to rely on player development and that will take 2-3 years. Sanders will get top recruiting classes and transfers immediately—probably better Jimmy’s and Joe’s…..key word = probably. Buffs may have a shorter climb to success with Prime vs. Huskers with Rhule. This reminds me of the talk a few years ago when we were going to go in to Boulder and mop up…..not going to happen, folks.

Recruiting wise Sanders....Coaching wise Rhule. Sanders won immediately at JSU as he had elite athletes playing against sub par competition. Being at CU, other teams will have similar talent to play against. Then we will see how good of a coach he is. He is obviously one of the best recruiters ever.

Last edited:
I think that both teams got their best option. I don't think Sanders fits at NU. I think he will do great at CU and leave in two years. I think in 5 years Rhule will look like the better choice
Everybody seems to think Sanders will be some experimental, flash-in-the-pan coach and not a “good fit” here. I don’t think so….CU may have hit it out of the park, but time will tell.

Last edited:
Deion hires Kent State HC Sean Lewis to run the offense... Lewis will be accompanied by former Chadron St HC and current Kent St OL coach Bill O Boyle...

If he gets better football players he's a better recruiter. And why would Deon Sanders be a celebrity? Do you consider Zac Taylor a celebrity? Is Dabo Sweeney a celebrity? No they are former football players who coach.
One of these three coaches is different... one has been in numerous hip-hop videos, has his own CD, appeared in numerous TV and reality shows, and has been in a whole bunch of commercials for various major corporations... Deion Sanders is very much a celebrity...

I expect a mtv cu reality tv show, the neon buffs, there will be daily drama..

I’m gonna ask the question again… will recruits forego NIL to play at CU simply because of Deion? I’m sure some will, but if they don’t have NIL lined up, not enough will go there to help him win. My opinion only.

Edit: they don’t even have the money to pay sanders without some fundraising going on…

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/12/05/colorado-ad-deion-sanders-contract-money
Deion is a celebrity. So with him, CU players are open to a national market not just regional. This was the case ar JSU. Bet if Buffs are any good in the future we will see them on fansville commercials etc.

Shedeur is already in national commercials

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Shows a difference in maturity and I think it will pay off with stability and guys wanting to work hard and grow under Rhule’s staff. As for which is the better hire, we'll find that out over the next couple of years. There's no excuse to lose to Colorado though, they're starting from a worse position than even we are.

This. Everyone will follow him and then it’ll be the dumpster fire it usually is. With that said, he would have put us on the map again. I think he could have gotten us over the 8 win hump. I don’t think Rhule will. He’s a safe and very good hire but not going to get us to 10 wins unless we keep up with our D-II schedules.
Well, I'll say this - if Rhule's ceiling is unranked 8 win seasons, then we massively overpaid for him - you don't have to pay $9 million/year for that.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
CU doesnt even know how they are going to pay Deion.
It astounds me some people in this thread are so worried about him. As we have found out the hard way, the more fractured an AD/Football Department is on the inside, the more the wounds will be showcased on the field in the form of mediocre/lackluster performance.

Would you feel more comfortable with the coaches switched?

Rhule has more of a sample size even if thats not saying a whole lot. His experience is better short term.

If Sanders doesn't flame out like Frost and actually learns to be a fantastic gameday coach and manager of assistants, I see Sanders better long term.

I will say the one advantage I believe Nebraska HC Rhule has over CU HC Sanders is NIL money to spend on great talent. At the moment CU is going to have to come up with some way of financing Sanders contract because they don't have it at the moment.

Colorado athletic director Rick George said as much when he hired Sanders as the school’s next football coach, it came with a total cost the school couldn’t pay quite yet if it had to.

Kids will take cash over love of a personality most every time and NIL cash is the great equalizer.

Last edited:
Remember when Scott Frost was a sure thing, slam dunk, best coach in the country hire? And then won 3 games a whole bunch of times?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT