ADVERTISEMENT

Better hire? Rhule or Sanders?

Short term - Sanders, long term - Rhule. Sanders will have CU fans operating on maximum hopium as long as he's there.
This. Everyone will follow him and then it’ll be the dumpster fire it usually is. With that said, he would have put us on the map again. I think he could have gotten us over the 8 win hump. I don’t think Rhule will. He’s a safe and very good hire but not going to get us to 10 wins unless we keep up with our D-II schedules.

We won't know that answer for a few years until we accumulate results on the field. But on first blush I'd say each hire was appropriate for the school that hired them. Colorado needs to take a chance on a flashy up and comer from a smaller school to be able to compete in the PAC. Nebraska needs a lower risk, longer term program builder to compete in the B1G. Different situations require different hiring strategies. Neither are guaranteed to work though until we see the results on the field.

P.S. I'd also add Fickell to that question. I think Wisconsin did a good job getting him away from Cincinnati. A more meaningful question would be whether Nebraska or Wisconsin made the better hire. And I don't know that answer - it's a toss up to me right now.

Last edited:
Colorado is just a stepping stone for Sanders. He'll be looking for a better gig in a couple years. Whatever he accomplishes there will evaporate as soon as he leaves. We need someone to rebuild the foundation and for that I think Rhule is a better hire. Maybe Rhule leaves in 5 years but I think what he builds here will be more lasting.

I think there are a lot of wins on the schedule next year but apparently using Colorado who just hired a SWAC coach as a measuring stick is too much of an ask

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
I think there are a lot of wins on the schedule next year but apparently using Colorado who just hired a SWAC coach as a measuring stick is too much of an ask
Yep next year's schedule is easier than this year's was, probably the easiest schedule Rhule will have as a head coach. Hopefully he takes advantage of it.

NU went with the safer hire. CU is taking a big gamble. CU is paying less but way too much based on experience. I am conservative so prefer Rhule.
It isn't really a gamble though. Colorado has been a dead program for almost 20 years. Sanders will immediately improve them based on the talent he'll bring in. His contract as you point out isn't much compared to other big time programs. Even if he bombs, it isn't like they haven't been bombing with their last several coaches.

My prediction is he'll do well there, but leave before he does "that well." He gest them to a few winning seasons and he'll get an SEC job or the Florida State job if Norvell can't get them over the hump. It was a good year for Florida State, but they are still Florida State. If he can't beat Clemson and win the ACC, they'll call Deion home.

Short term - Sanders, long term - Rhule. Sanders will have CU fans operating on maximum hopium as long as he's there.
Yeah I would go with this. Rhule will be at Nebraska longer. I don't know if Rhule is going to win national titles at Nebraska, but he is a competent coach that will get us back to Pelini level with hope of actually winning the big games from time to time.

Deion in the short term will elevate Colorado into a team that has winning seasons and goes to bowl games. He won't be there long though if he has success. I just don't see Boulder, Colorado as his destination job.

Sanders has been successful at what he chooses to do. He may be a great hire. He will win plenty of games while he is where ever he is. However long he stays is a different story.
Can't wait to see how many wins Colorado has next year.

(great cultural fit)
I think rhule is a better hire, more of a cultural fit..
rhule gets hired and in couple of days he's hitting the streets of omaha to scottsbluffs for recruits...
on one hand, and on the other hand, he's pulling in coaches from all over bringing in recruits from all over.
basicly a master mind at work, thinking about the run game constantly, with some passing.
and getting the players to block and tackle in practice instead of dancing.

(terrible cultural fit)
then you have , neon deon and cu...
we all know how bad cu is, blown out in 11 games with cal as their superbowl..
then deon turns his back on jackson state, for the above????
there's been a fire storm about that...good luck starting with tcu, before a NU pounding.
but we will be gracious and leave a portal door open for that 5 star travis guy, if he comes to his senses.
or deon as a db coach...

the biggest winner in this besides trev, is the NU fan...
we finally thought about a coaching hire based on logic and not hype.

Last edited:
I feel Rhule is a better hire for our situation. 2 successful program resurrections at G5 then P5. Even though he failed in the NFL. It speaks volumes of what the market thought of him.

This post will probably age like a bad gas station sandwich or how the B1G was supposed to adapt to crotch rot.

Reactions: headcard
I have a bad feeling that Colorado will have a better coaching staff and add a bunch of talent.
I think Trev made the traditional conventional hire. 5 years ago it would have been a great hire and still might be. NIL and the transfer portal have drastically changed the college football landscape. An unconventional flash hire like Sanders may actually be what is best in the modern era we operate in now. Time will tell.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT