ADVERTISEMENT

Better coach: BO Pelini or Tim Miles?

It’s a no wonder you didn’t include Darin Erstad too.
He did win a conference title so there is that. I just wonder how people keep making excuses for Miles while it was obviously ok for BO to get let go.

(NOTE: THIS DOES NOT MEAN IM A BO-NER OR STILL WANT HIM AS COACH OR OTHER 1ST-GRADE LOGIC)

Is it that our expectations are that much lower? Is it just because he's nicer? Is it because we are just so ambivalent for the hoops program?

He did win a conference title so there is that. I just wonder how people keep making excuses for Miles while it was obviously ok for BO to get let go.

(NOTE: THIS DOES NOT MEAN IM A BO-NER OR STILL WANT HIM AS COACH OR OTHER 1ST-GRADE LOGIC)

Is it that our expectations are that much lower? Is it just because he's nicer? Is it because we are just so ambivalent for the hoops program?
Hoops got a reprieve with the new AD. Said AD has also not extended Miles, which was a big point of butthurt last year.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
Simple fact football is Nebraska bo was or decided to be a embarrassment to the program regardless of him winning 9 10 games a year he needed to go, Nebraska basketball is not on anyone's national radar never has probably never will Tim miles fits the bill, once coach frost get the football team rolling again NU basketball will be just a filler for after the bowl game till spring practice

Let’s say making the CCG in FB on par with making the Dance in BB. In equivalence, BP makes 3 appearances.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow

Not many are making excuses for him, are they?
We’re a blue blood in football and we’re an after thought in Basketball...

I have faith in Moos and his direction on what he and all of us want in the future..

Fact: Pelini had a good winning record but was an embarrassment.. Miles has a losing record and well liked for the most part.

It would be ridiculous to hold Miles to the same performance standards as the NU football coach, so comparing him to Bo is kind of an apples-to-bowling balls kind of thing.

On the other hand, there are the Miles fanboys who are convinced that he's their Great Guy BFF, and don't want him held to any performance standards at all. Just let Timmy make millions to finish in the bottom third of the conference year after year, as long as he's funny on Twitter. Oh, and be sure to point out that if NU hires a different BB coach, he might be worse.

Last edited:
It would be ridiculous to hold Miles to the same performance standards as the NU football coach, so comparing him to Bo is kind of an apples-to-bowling bowls kind of thing.

On the other hand, there are the Miles fanboys who are convinced that he's their Great Guy BFF, and don't want him held to any performance standards at all. Just let Timmy make millions to finish in the bottom third of the conference year after year, as long as he's funny on Twitter. Oh, and be sure to point out that if NU hires a different BB coach, he might be worse.
I have not seen a single "Miles fanboy" suggest Miles should be kept if we finish in the bottom third of the conference this year. Not one. We were certainly picked at the bottom but I think results this far and the remaining schedule make it necessary for him to finish in the top half if not top 6. My expectations with this talent are at least top half of the conference and that should be very doable. Glynn and Copeland have to stay healthy.

Pelini wasn't a complete loser as a coach. He did have 9 win seasons which is something most college football programs would enjoy but he was far from a great coach. He was never going to have a statue of himself in Lincoln.
How long did it take before Tom broke through?
I wonder if they said the same thing about him before that?

Simple fact football is Nebraska bo was or decided to be a embarrassment to the program regardless of him winning 9 10 games a year he needed to go, Nebraska basketball is not on anyone's national radar never has probably never will Tim miles fits the bill, once coach frost get the football team rolling again NU basketball will be just a filler for after the bowl game till spring practice
Could I get a little bit of punctuation? It really would be easier to read. Thank you.

It's probably safe to say Osborne was able to feed the monster often enough to separate the two from one another. I do know people had problems with Osborne at the time though.

Reactions: scarletred
It's probably safe to say Osborne was able to feed the monster often enough to separate the two from one another. I do know people had problems with Osborne at the time though.

Especially when it came to Oklahoma took him to his 6 season before he beat the Sooners...

Of course fans had a problem with Devaney too after losing to K-State at home and OU 44-0 in Norman before he handed the keys on Offense to Osborne in 1969.

Especially when it came to Oklahoma took him to his 6 season before he beat the Sooners...

Of course fans had a problem with Devaney too after losing to K-State at home and OU 44-0 in Norman before he handed the keys on Offense to Osborne in 1969.

Comes with being coach at a major program I guess. Some OU fans wanted to run Bob Stoops off.

or do we just not care?
I'll go with Bo.

As a Coach, I would have to easily go with Bo. He got beyond his ability to handle the HC items off the field, but did get pretty well on the field coaching and won some games and got us into a Championship Game.

Coach Miles, who I really like, has been here long enough that we know what we are going to get each year. A ray of hope here and there, a transfer in and transfer out, and at the end of the year, we will be a middle level or below team in the Big 10. That just isn't good enough. It can't be. At some time there has to be a commitment to Basketball, and the acceptable standard has to be higher than that.

I supported and really liked MR, and would have given him another year. Look how nutty that sounds now after having SF on the scene for a month or so.

There is the right HC for Nebraska Basketball out there.

In the end, Bo had to go, and now, it's TM's time...that's my vote.

or do we just not care?

Miles - by a very slight margin.

Pelini had the tradition, history, facilities, and roster in place when he started. He basically achieved about the minimum in terms of expectations. He won 9 or 10 games each year, but that is what is expected at a place like Nebraska for the football program.

Miles had very little in terms of tradition, history, facilities, and a roster when he started. Expectations are much lower, and Miles has achieved about what has been expectations for the basketball program.

Both Pelini and Miles had 1 season that would be considered beyond expectations for the program - Pelini when he had Suh and Miles when he had Petteway. Both seasons they peaked at the end of the year, only to crash. Both tended to get crushed against much better competition, although we did see the occasional upset with each program.

Slight edge goes to Miles because it appears he has things moving upward, whereas it appeared Pelini was static or slightly downward when he was fired. Miles wants to be here and seems to be doing what he can to make it work. Pelini did not want to be here (or didn't care as much to be here). Miles is a good ambassador for the university and BB program and gets good news coverage. Bo, not so much in that regard.

The win over OU in 1978 went a long way in saving Osborne from possibly getting fired. Had he not won that game, I doubt he survives the next two years as they lost to the Sooners in typical Sooner Magic endings. Osborne was on the hot seat prior to beating OU in 78, the wolves would have been tearing the door down had Nebraska lost.

The win over OU in 1978 went a long way in saving Osborne from possibly getting fired. Had he not won that game, I doubt he survives the next two years as they lost to the Sooners in typical Sooner Magic endings. Osborne was on the hot seat prior to beating OU in 78, the wolves would have been tearing the door down had Nebraska lost.

That’s blasphemy to be talking bad about TO like that. Winking

T.O. and staff never had a team out of the top 25, and only out of the top 16 once. Regularly went to big bowls.

Bo was no where near that...unfortunately.

Reactions: FeelingFrosty
Pelini wasn't a complete loser as a coach. He did have 9 win seasons which is something most college football programs would enjoy but he was far from a great coach. He was never going to have a statue of himself in Lincoln.
As a coach he was okay, as a person, total loser!

Total ****ing BS statement!!!

Bo was an above average coach. I would say a better coach than Tim Miles. Problem with Bo is that he was a below average recruiter and a complete asshole.

It would be ridiculous to hold Miles to the same performance standards as the NU football coach, so comparing him to Bo is kind of an apples-to-bowling balls kind of thing.

Why shouldn't we hold the head basketball coach to the same standards as the football coach? That's why we're always going to suck at basketball is because we have a loser mentality that says we'll never be good so why try. Kansas, another program in the middle of the country has had a lot of success. There's no reason we couldn't approach that level of success if we brought in the right guy and committed to being a top basketball program as well.

Bo was an above average coach. I would say a better coach than Tim Miles. Problem with Bo is that he was a below average recruiter and a complete asshole.

How can Bo be an above average coach when he only beat the teams he should easily beat and was destroyed by the teams who had a pulse and good coaching. He was average at best.... An above average coach could make in game adjustments to stop the bleeding.. Not being able to figure out how to stop what he knew was coming at him shows he was not an above average coach.... And a lunatic with no self awareness.

Why shouldn't we hold the head basketball coach to the same standards as the football coach? That's why we're always going to suck at basketball is because we have a loser mentality that says we'll never be good so why try. Kansas, another program in the middle of the country has had a lot of success. There's no reason we couldn't approach that level of success if we brought in the right guy and committed to being a top basketball program as well.
Well you can hire a basketball coach with the expectation that he's going to win a conference championship or the equivalent of a division title every 3-4 years, but it's a cycle you will repeat often.

But I also don't think NU can just keep a coach who wallows in the bottom half of the conference year after year - not with the resources that have been invested in the program.

As for your Kansas comparison - do you really think a coach who's reached the Sweet 16 and the Elite Eight at a place like Illinois is going to leave for Nebraska? I think the chances of that happening are about as likely as the time-to-bring-Dana-Altman-home pipe dream that's repeated here every couple of weeks. I do think Nebraska can attract a good coach, but not from those ranks.

Now we have punctuation nazis.
im so sry that punkuatshun and spelling is so terible to do rite and that if u do it makes u a notsee go ahead and rite becuz we all now that as long as peeple can understand yor stuf thats all that matters and it is cool to sleep thru english classes and comparing basic english skills with people who commited genocide makes a lot of cents

Not a fair comparison. Give Miles 7 years at Kansas and Pelini 7 years at Vanderbilt. Love to see how that would shake out.

Not a fair comparison. Give Miles 7 years at Kansas and Pelini 7 years at Vanderbilt. Love to see how that would shake out.

I'd have to agree but there are coaches out there who change things for the better. I don't think Pelini or Miles are those types of coaches..

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
or do we just not care?
Miles bought himself a lot of time and good will with the tourney berth. That said, he is not a good coach. If he can't get this team in the top 5-6 of this weak B1G and a NIT berth this year with his "most talented roster" in years, he needs to go. He has had more than ample time to make this a better program than when he took over.

As for Blo, there were numerous pros and cons. At the end of the day, I feel like he stabilized the program, but would never get them "over the hump". I feel like some of the commentary about him being an embarrassment to NU is a little overblown, but I don't know what some "insiders" do or what all happened behind the scenes. I know some can harp on his record vs certain teams and recruiting, but the real embarrassment was MR. Some say it is very telling how he is still at Youngstown and I have also heard he is laying low for a few years until the buyout runs out. I have no clue, but in my mind; he is the far better coach than Miles.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT