ADVERTISEMENT

Best RB's at NU that were back ups

Benning and Childs for sure. Smith was a 2nd team All American so I wouldn't classify him as a career backup.

Its kind of amazing to think about, actually. Go back to 1977 and we had an amazing string of great backs. The backups either became the next guy on that list or really weren't much to remember. Short of a dry spell between 2005 and 2008, and our current one that started after Ameer graduated, that is an amazing run of memorable running backs.
Understood, but he was injured for part of the 84 season (after backing up Rozier/Craig his So/Jr years) and Doug DuBose exploded onto the scene. Amazing - they were both 1st Team All Big 8; Smith 2nd Team All American and DuBose HM All American (even though he actually out-rushed Smith and was the only 1000 yd rusher). Those were some good times indeed!

I know he may not qualify but Ozigbo kept being relegated to backup status and that guy just always got yards. He ran hard and took advantage of his opportunities. The true sign of a guy who didn’t throw in the towel and was finally rewarded.

I know he may not qualify but Ozigbo kept being relegated to backup status and that guy just always got yards. He ran hard and took advantage of his opportunities. The true sign of a guy who didn’t throw in the towel and was finally rewarded.

Made it to the big league...if you can call the Jagwires big league.

Imani Cross racked up 1600 yards and 28 TD’s despite never really being the man ahead of Craig, Buckhalter, D . Brown, Diedrick, Lucky, Hipp, Alexander in TD’s despite fewer carries.

Reactions: bigredhunter
I've watched a lot of Youtube videos of old Husker games lately. Man we had a lot of great backs that didn't get to see much time. A few that stood out to me were:

Jay Sims - Dude had speed & vision, just had way too much firepower in that room.

George Achola - I realize it was in mop up time, but man he looked the part and broke off quite a few good runs on some of the videos I watched. Didn't really remember him until I watched a few games

Roger Craig hands down not even close! Osborne tried Craig at FB just to get him on the field but a great, great player.

Roger Craig and Doug DuBose would be my top 2..

Dubose rushed for over 1,000 averaging 7 yards/carry as a soph backing up Jeff Smith, started his junior year, and would have been a clear-cut starter his senior year, but he blew out his knee before the season started. He had a ton of talent, and could have been special had he avoided the knee injury and off the field drug/booster money issues. The '85 backfield, with him and Rathman, ranks up there with the best NU has had.

No, no, no ! Not true !

Yes he did to start the season Orduna ended up being injured during the middle of the season by the time the season ended we had 2 I-backs that were exchangeable.
Joe Orduna also lead the team in rushing with 897 on 200 carries and Kinney had 694 yards on 159 carries..

Orduna also lead the team in scoring!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT