ADVERTISEMENT

Best public high school(s) in Lincoln?

So once LPS builds that new high school that's actually south and east of something, does it become Southeast and LSE get re-named?

So once LPS builds that new high school that's actually south and east of something, does it become Southeast and LSE get re-named?
If that was the case they would've renamed it South Central a long time ago.

Waverly is meh, Norris is very good.
I don't follow it too closely, but I cannot remember the last time Norris beat Waverly in football. Not sure that Norris has been "very good" at any particular sport although they have decent teams on occasion.

I don't follow it too closely, but I cannot remember the last time Norris beat Waverly in football. Not sure that Norris has been "very good" at any particular sport although they have decent teams on occasion.
Ha! Well, the question was primarily about academics, which is what I was responding to, but regarding sports, historically, Norris has been much better than Waverly.

I think baseball is kind of a Norris thing. I think Norris is kind of like Southwest in that you have a bunch of kids play high level club sports, but when you put them on the field or the court they are soft.

Sure teachers can make a difference. But so does the quality of the administrators at a school. But IMO, the biggest factor in the quality of a school is the students who go there, and the emphasis their partent(s) put on education. That factor can be heavily influenced by income. You see it every year in the average ACT scores by high schools. In the Omaha area, its no secret that the suburban schools achieve at a higher academic level, and its no secret that income is higher in those districts. Below is the most recent data I can find.

https://www.omaha.com/omaha-area-hi..._1e4a1a5a-ed60-5150-aa63-5164149d5114.html#18

I can't find the data for this year for Lincoln Schools, but I believe Lincoln East has usually been the highest ACT scoring school in Lincoln, and one of the highest public schools in the state. I don't live in Lincoln, but I have a lot of family who do, and some extended family members who currently go to East. If I were to move to Lincoln, I'd move so that my last kid could go to East. There's no guarantee the education might not be better at another school, but the odds say East would be the best choice.

Fight, fight, fight-fight-fight!
Blue and White!

Bet that online K-12 school that's been advertising this spring is getting a lot of business

Jeezus, just pick a school. It's not rocket science. Unless your kid is a superstar athlete don't pick SW or Norris, you're not gonna climb above the kids already there in this lifetime.
Lol. If you think it takes a superstar to be a varsity player at either of those two schools you haven’t gotten out much

Lol. If you think it takes a superstar to be a varsity player at either of those two schools you haven’t gotten out much
I don't recall saying it had anything to do with talent or ability. Besides, what you said applies equally to every high school in Lincoln. It's not exactly Miami.

ADVERTISEMENT