ADVERTISEMENT

Best public high school(s) in Lincoln?

Okhusk

Jul 1, 2013
Potentially moving to Lincoln in August and have two high school aged kids. Which do you consider to be the best (academically speaking) public high school in Lincoln? Also welcome input regarding sports quality for both girls and boys’ athletics.

Eh, it really depends. I'll just lay it forward in advance. I'm a Lincoln East '06 Grad with a couple letters.

Since my time, I think there has been a sizable shift. You would never go wrong with Southwest. They tend to be the best for football and some other sports.

If your kids like volleyball or women's basketball, East is your target.

Southeast used to be a huge juggernaut in football. Not so sure lately.

Based on statistics I have read I think in terms of academics the high schools in Lincoln would be ranked as follows:
1. Southwest
2. East and Southeast ... about the same really
3. Lincoln High
4. Northeast
5. Northstar

Lincoln High and Northeast are about the same I think. But as a Lincoln High grad I had to give them a nod.

Based on statistics I have read I think in terms of academics the high schools in Lincoln would be ranked as follows:
1. Southwest
3. Lincoln High
4. Northeast
5. Northstar

Lincoln High and Northeast are about the same I think. But as a Lincoln High grad I had to give them a nod.
Statistically, they generally show Lincoln East as the top school.

Reactions: 9and4 and Crazyhole
Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Academically Lincoln High has the International Baccalaureate program, which is a pretty big deal. Now I think you have to apply to get in to the IB program before your freshman year, so I don't know if or how you transfer in to that program. You will get your fair share of bad teachers where ever you go, so if the kids are good students, they may have to do some self teaching.

I don't know where you are moving from, but I would say Southwest and East are very cliquey. Probably the two higher income public schools in Lincoln so you have a lot of kids that have done club sports, so their sports team are pretty good. Most of the parents of kids at these schools are insufferable, and would have you believe their kid is the best thing to hit the court since sliced bread.

Don't know what sports you are looking at, but for the most part the boys sports are fairly event between Southeast, Southwest, East and maybe Northstar for the time being. Granted it shifts a little from year to year.

Girls sports are about the same maybe minus Northstar. There has been some weird stuff going on at East the last couple of months, but I think overall they probably have the best set of athletic coaches in the city.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
As far as athletics, it’s always gonna be year-to-year down there because of recruiting. They aren’t as bad as OPS, and no one in America is as bad as Bellevue West, but it still has a major effect.

Southeast is probably the best compromise. Unless you're a rich guy and your kids are used to uncultured rich kids, than Southwest is the choice. I went to Lincoln High than Northeast. Trashy LHS was trashy black LNE was trashy white

It's all about the teachers IMO

Sure teachers can make a difference. But so does the quality of the administrators at a school. But IMO, the biggest factor in the quality of a school is the students who go there, and the emphasis their partent(s) put on education. That factor can be heavily influenced by income. You see it every year in the average ACT scores by high schools. In the Omaha area, its no secret that the suburban schools achieve at a higher academic level, and its no secret that income is higher in those districts. Below is the most recent data I can find.

https://www.omaha.com/omaha-area-hi..._1e4a1a5a-ed60-5150-aa63-5164149d5114.html#18

I can't find the data for this year for Lincoln Schools, but I believe Lincoln East has usually been the highest ACT scoring school in Lincoln, and one of the highest public schools in the state. I don't live in Lincoln, but I have a lot of family who do, and some extended family members who currently go to East. If I were to move to Lincoln, I'd move so that my last kid could go to East. There's no guarantee the education might not be better at another school, but the odds say East would be the best choice.

Reactions: 9and4
Kids are going to excel when they are happy. Send them to the best school, if they have no connection with their peers, they may not excel for that reason alone

Sure teachers can make a difference. But so does the quality of the administrators at a school. But IMO, the biggest factor in the quality of a school is the students who go there, and the emphasis their partent(s) put on education. That factor can be heavily influenced by income. You see it every year in the average ACT scores by high schools. In the Omaha area, its no secret that the suburban schools achieve at a higher academic level, and its no secret that income is higher in those districts. Below is the most recent data I can find.

https://www.omaha.com/omaha-area-hi..._1e4a1a5a-ed60-5150-aa63-5164149d5114.html#18

I can't find the data for this year for Lincoln Schools, but I believe Lincoln East has usually been the highest ACT scoring school in Lincoln, and one of the highest public schools in the state. I don't live in Lincoln, but I have a lot of family who do, and some extended family members who currently go to East. If I were to move to Lincoln, I'd move so that my last kid could go to East. There's no guarantee the education might not be better at another school, but the odds say East would be the best choice.
When it comes to Omaha Public Schools, it is the last bastion of segregation. OPS funds their schools by immediate location. If a school is in a poor locale, the school will be poor. Lincoln PS instead taxes the shit out of the whole city and distributes it to all schools.

Southeast is probably the best compromise. Unless you're a rich guy and your kids are used to uncultured rich kids, than Southwest is the choice. I went to Lincoln High than Northeast. Trashy LHS was trashy black LNE was trashy white
LNE has always been trashy. I did band for 2 yrs in HS and they were the only school to hurl piss balloons and batteries at us.

Potentially moving to Lincoln in August and have two high school aged kids. Which do you consider to be the best (academically speaking) public high school in Lincoln? Also welcome input regarding sports quality for both girls and boys’ athletics.

East, and only East. They have a nationally-ranked speech and debate team, and generally offer more AP courses than the other schools. I thought Southwest would challenge East for the best reputation in the city, but it has not. The catholic high school, Pius, actually has a fairly good reputation academically, but I attended it for my freshman year and couldn't transfer fast enough, due to the insanely out-of-date disciplinary policies.

Lincoln High is by far the most diverse of the schools. Northeast and North Star tend to steer kids toward industrial arts, because that is the future for a lot of those students.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think Southwest uses a 4x4 block schedule. Not sure if other schools migrated to that or not. Some people like it, some don't.

Jeezus, just pick a school. It's not rocket science. Unless your kid is a superstar athlete don't pick SW or Norris, you're not gonna climb above the kids already there in this lifetime.

1. Southwest
3. Lincoln High
4. Northeast
5. Northstar

I lived in Lincoln when it did not have 2 of those...wow. Odd that the newest is the worst in academics. that is not usually the case.

It's freaking Lincoln. All the LPS high schools are good schools if the kid is focused and smart.

Back when there were only four high schools, they used to say... Northeast has no money, East has the old money, Southeast has the new money, and Lincoln High stole the money.

When it comes to Omaha Public Schools, it is the last bastion of segregation. OPS funds their schools by immediate location. If a school is in a poor locale, the school will be poor. Lincoln PS instead taxes the shit out of the whole city and distributes it to all schools.

I’m not sure how you think OPS is funded but they have plenty of money in comparison to other districts. They are opening 2 more high schools in the next few years. Just like Lincoln, the tax money that goes to each school doesn’t depend on the tax values of just what is in that schools attendance area.

Back when there were only four high schools, they used to say... Northeast has no money, East has the old money, Southeast has the new money, and Lincoln High stole the money.

I used to hear that from some cousins and friends who went to Lincoln High. Laughing

I have seen both Southwest and East at the top. Depends I guess on what metrics are being used.

One of my cousins is a principal with LPS, and based on our conversations, I wouldn’t be surprised if SW doesn’t overtake East in all the various rankings within the next few years, but they are both very good schools. Not saying SW will, just wouldn’t be surprised.

Back to the OPs original question, do you research and look at the attendance map. I don’t think any of the six are bad, but as a parent, you always want to do what you think is best for your kids.

high.pdf

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
East, and only East. They have a nationally-ranked speech and debate team, and generally offer more AP courses than the other schools. I thought Southwest would challenge East for the best reputation in the city, but it has not. The catholic high school, Pius, actually has a fairly good reputation academically, but I attended it for my freshman year and couldn't transfer fast enough, due to the insanely out-of-date disciplinary policies.

Lincoln High is by far the most diverse of the schools. Northeast and North Star tend to steer kids toward industrial arts, because that is the future for a lot of those students.

huh? what insanely out-of-date disciplinary policies would that be? wearing uniforms?

Reactions: WHCSC
ADVERTISEMENT