ADVERTISEMENT

Best Non-National Championship Husker teams of all time

Mar 4, 2009
Who is your top ten husker teams to never win a national championship? I will have to admit that I did not watch much pre-1990s.. so I only have to go by what i've heard and seen in highlights.

1. 1999 team - maybe our best defensive unit ever (gets the nod because we avenged our only loss)
2. 1983 team - maybe our best offensive unit ever
3. 1982 team - one blown call in an early game prevented a national championship
4. 1996 team - maybe our best defensive unit ever (until Terrell Farley was kicked off the team).
5. 1993 team - refuse to lose
5. 2000 team - this team underachieved but was much better than the next season's team
6. 2001 team - this team was lucky to make the national championship but had the biggest win of the post championship era

[Here is where my lack of insight into pre-1992 kicks in... i can't fairly compare the 70s and 80s teams]

7. 2010 team- Best team of Bo's run... but Martinez went down the offense was rough at the end.
8. 2009 team- Suh's defense was great but that offense was rough.
9. 2012 team - best offense of Bo's run... Martinez, Abdullah, and a crazy streak of comeback victories before getting killed in the BIG championship.
10. 2006 team - best team of the Callahan era. Good offensive balance and a decent defense... couple crappy close losses to Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn.

Who is your top ten husker teams to never win a national championship? I will have to admit that I did not watch much pre-1990s.. so I only have to go by what i've heard and seen in highlights.

1. 1999 team - maybe our best defensive unit ever (gets the nod because we avenged our only loss)
3. 1982 team - one blown call in an early game prevented a national championship
4. 1996 team - maybe our best defensive unit ever (until Terrell Farley was kicked off the team).
5. 2000 team - this team underachieved but was much better than the next season's team
6. 2001 team - this team was lucky to make the national championship but had the biggest win of the post championship era

[Here is where my lack of insight into pre-1992 kicks in... i can't fairly compare the 70s and 80s teams]

7. 2010 team- Best team of Bo's run... but Martinez went down the offense was rough at the end.
9. 2012 team - best offense of Bo's run... Martinez, Abdullah, and a crazy streak of comeback victories before getting killed in the BIG championship.
10. 2006 team - best team of the Callahan era. Good offensive balance and a decent defense... couple crappy close losses to Texas, Oklahoma, Auburn.
Good list except I'd put 2006 ahead of 2012. That 2012 schedule wasn't very tough and we had all of those comebacks against teams where those games shouldn't have been that close in the first place.

EDIT: Looked at the 2006 schedule. It was pretty pud too. Big12 wasn't very good especially the North.

Holy cow we are now giving Pelini and Callahan some endorsements for losing 4 games and never winning a conference title...RollingLaugh

Hell Devaney is even laughing in his grave.

1983. Full Stop. It's why that loss to Miami still haunts those of us that witnessed it.

'82, '83, '93, & '99. Every one of those teams were National Championship caliber. Tom should've had 6 titles!

You forgot 1981. With a healthy Turner Gill in the OB against Clemson, win that game with the way the other bowls went, TO would have had his first MNC.

Reactions: baseball31ne
1983...worst loss in my lifetime, was devastating..that was an amazing team..will hate the Canes til the day i die...

Reactions: HuskerDana
72, 69 was good, 81 would have been nc if they had beaten clemson, wouldn't they?

If, in 78, they had beaten misery, I think they would have won the nc.
the '78 team would have gotten a shot at the title, likely facing Penn State in the Orange Bowl. No slam dunk that they win, though. The '78 Huskers, in my opinion, were a very-good-but-not-great team that rose to the occasion and pulled off one of the great upsets in program history. But I don't think their full body of work was up there with some of the other teams mentioned.

the '78 team would have gotten a shot at the title, likely facing Penn State in the Orange Bowl. No slam dunk that they win, though. The '78 Huskers, in my opinion, were a very-good-but-not-great team that rose to the occasion and pulled off one of the great upsets in program history. But I don't think their full body of work was up there with some of the other teams mentioned.

Side note: Penn St lost to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and Alabama beat Nebraska earlier in the year...

Would have been interesting if unbeaten Penn St went to the Orange Bowl and Oklahoma went to the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama, hard telling what would have turned out after those two bowl games.

1983 heads and shoulders numer 1 simply because of the two points conversion, our defense was less far from stellar
1999 poor running back coaching or else they win it all plain and simple hang on the the ball
1982 several bad call in sundusky valley
1981 turner was out and mark mauer I believe had a bad rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder couldn't throw more than 10 yards. Now please no bozo or Callahan teams

Reactions: SOHusker11
Side note: Penn St lost to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and Alabama beat Nebraska earlier in the year...

Would have been interesting if unbeaten Penn St went to the Orange Bowl and Oklahoma went to the Sugar Bowl to play Alabama, hard telling what would have turned out after those two bowl games.

I think ou probably had the most talented team that year, and I may be inaccurate, but I think switzer has said it was his most talented.

Reactions: Baxter48
I think ou probably had the most talented team that year, and I may be inaccurate, but I think switzer has said it was his most talented.

He did. He still says that game was his toughest loss because he thought the 1978 team was his best OU team.

Oh yeah, if OU doesn't stumble in Lincoln I think they roll to the title that year.

Oh yeah, if OU doesn't stumble in Lincoln I think they roll to the title that year.
I think that OU team had quite a few players make it in the pro, Looking back I'd venture to say Barry would have traded one of those earlier wins against tom for the 78 game

Some pretty damn good teams from the 60s being forgotten.

1965 team was undefeated before they lost to the Bear in the Orange Bowl.
1966 team was undefeated heading into the regular season finale against the Sooners losing a 1 point heart-breaker
1969 team really set the stage for the 1970 National Title team. Lost a couple of tough games early, but were rolling late beating Oklahoma and Georgia by 30+ each to end the season.

In the end, the 1983 team is the answer. Gill, Rozier, Fryar. The Triplets. The Scoring Explosion. Purely insane that team lost to an upstart 'Canes team. If Rozier doesn't opt for the USFL money, it is very likely the 1984 NFL draft starts off with 3 Huskers. (Started off with Fryar/Steinkuhler the way it was).

Toss up 99 or 83, probably 83.

2010 Nebraska before Taylor got hurt.

We easily go 12-1 IMO if he doesn't get hurt against Missouri.

There was a stretch of several if not all years where we were either playing for the nc or one loss away and team that beat us won. It definitely went through our season and we controlled our own destiny, except for a little help from zebras

There was a stretch of several if not all years where we were either playing for the nc or one loss away and team that beat us won. It definitely went through our season and we controlled our own destiny, except for a little help from zebras
Yeah and I think the late 80s early 90s teams we had were underrated and not appreciated as much as they should have been. We played some great teams during that stretch and even though it was one of the worst stretches for Osborne record wise, we weren't more than a step or two away from the national title conversation even during those years.

The 1986 team deserves consideration. Maybe TO's most complete non-championship team along with the '93 squad. If Doug DuBose doesn't tear his ACL in fall camp, I think they are the best team in the nation. The season opener domination of FSU was national championship caliber. The defense, when focused, was probably among our Top 5. The D throttled OU for 55 minutes before they wore down because the O kept turning the ball over. They beat LSU by 15 in the Sugar Bowl in a game that wasn't that close. Noonan, Neil Smith, Spachman, Broderick Thomas across the D-Line, Munford at LB and future pros Brian Washington and Brian Davis in the secondary. I always thought NU would have been a better match up with Miami that year because our D-Line could generate a pass rush. OU's D-Line was great at stopping the run but was not good at rushing the passer against top teams. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Actually 7 maybe 8 NC teams 81,82,83, 93,96
It would've been simply amazing to win 5 in a row. '93 - '97

Of course if we would have won '93 - '96 the Coaches Poll probably doesn't vote for us over Michigan. But 4 in a row would still be sweet.

1915: Ex post facto national champs, according to the Billingsley Report.

10/02 #Drake Lincoln W 48-13
10/09 #Kansas State Lincoln W 31-0
10/16 Washburn Lincoln W 47-0
10/23 Notre Dame Lincoln W 20-19
10/30 #Iowa State Ames W 21-0
11/06 Neb. Wesleyan Lincoln W 30-0
11/13 #Kansas Lawrence W 33-0
11/20 Iowa-HC Lincoln W 52-7

Turned down an invitation to play Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

1915: Ex post facto national champs, according to the Billingsley Report.

10/02 #Drake Lincoln W 48-13
10/09 #Kansas State Lincoln W 31-0
10/16 Washburn Lincoln W 47-0
10/23 Notre Dame Lincoln W 20-19
10/30 #Iowa State Ames W 21-0
11/06 Neb. Wesleyan Lincoln W 30-0
11/13 #Kansas Lawrence W 33-0
11/20 Iowa-HC Lincoln W 52-7

Turned down an invitation to play Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

Which was a crying shame.

Crouch. Close to our 3 year GOAT dynasty.

No?

83 defense sucked, which makes me want to eliminate 82, by definition.

We play in another major bowl and we destroy the canes.

I don't live in an Alternative Universe.

That being said, maybe.

Our defense sucked. 83 played a bunch of fruitcakes and got exposed.

Honestly, it could be 93. 99. But not 83. No way. Defense got shredded.

ADVERTISEMENT