ADVERTISEMENT

Best Husker Win that Wasn't a Natty

Dec 9, 2017
Time to bring back some good memories. Memories of our greatness, or memories you can recall that bring a smile to your face.

While all of our Natty wins were exceptional (Especially shoving it down Spurrier and the SEC in 1995 was special), what was your greatest memory of a monumental Husker win?

I'm sure 1978 will get many a vote as we took down the mighty Sooners and Billy Sims as they fumbled like 100 times and we finally stole one from them.

My vote? My vote is for 1997 Washington on the road. Scott Frost was just booed off the field the week prior when we played UCF and future NFLer Daunte Culpepper. We were 5.5 to 6 point underdogs, and many had written us off as pretenders. Udub was #2 in the country, and they were going to put a whipping on us has beens. 27-14 later and, the Huskers were legit again.

Time to bring back some good memories. Memories of our greatness, or memories you can recall that bring a smile to your face.

While all of our Natty wins were exceptional (Especially shoving it down Spurrier and the SEC in 1995 was special), what was your greatest memory of a monumental Husker win?

I'm sure 1978 will get many a vote as we took down the mighty Sooners and Billy Sims as they fumbled like 100 times and we finally stole one from them.

My vote? My vote is for 1997 Washington on the road. Scott Frost was just booed off the field the week prior when we played UCF and future NFLer Daunte Culpepper. We were 5.5 to 6 point underdogs, and many had written us off as pretenders. Udub was #2 in the country, and they were going to put a whipping on us has beens. 27-14 later and, the Huskers were legit again.

I remember some fat tub of lard national commentator say this before the game...."Washington is going to win and it may not even be close folks" Wanna say it as Tony Barnhart??

That's tough question. 2 games come to mind for me. The 78 OU game which was mentioned and Nebraska's win at home over an Alabama/Bear Bryant team in Lincoln in the 70's was pretty good.

Nice.

Made me recall the 1973 Orange Bowl win over Notre Dame.

40-6, and I believe Johnny Rodgers played all 22 positions in his Heisman season.

Many may believe he won the trophy during our Championship seasons in 1970 or 1971, but he won the trophy in the 1972 season. 9-2-1 and lost by a collective 6 points that year. That team was great.

Those are great choices, but my vote goes to 1994 Kansas State. There is no way we should have won that game against that opponent. The offensive line, Lawrence Phillips and Christian Peter's eye gouges willed the team to a win. And of course, without that win, no national title
Honorable mention: '78 OU just because of all the drunken debauchery post-game. What a day

I'll stick to Non-title winning seasons.... every game in those seasons are extra special.

I'll say 2001 Oklahoma and 1999 Texas.

2001 Oklahoma was really the last game of the dynasty and they were the undefeated defending national champions. It was a great game.

1999 Texas was extra sweet because we lost to them in 1996, 1998, and 1999 earlier in the year. We really took it to them.

As far as beating a great team with way more talent, the '78 OU game stands out.

But I'll toss out an odd one - the 1993 win at Kansas. Glen Mason could have ruined NU's unblemished season by kicking a game-tying PAT, but went for the win instead. If that game ends tied, there's no Orange Bowl showdown with Florida State - the game that put NU back on the map and created a lot of momentum for 1994.

In my lifetime, its an easy choice: 1992 Colorado. The only blowout I've ever been to where the crowd was excited the entire game. Just an amazing atmosphere.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I remember some fat tub of lard national commentator say this before the game...."Washington is going to win and it may not even be close folks" Wanna say it as Tony Barnhart??
Yes, it was Tony Barnhart who said that. Kirk Herbstreit had just done a feature story on Scott Frost and had said something about thinking he was going to bounce back from a rough performance. Tony Barnhart then proceeded to mock the story and said the question was could Frost go into a tough atmosphere at Washington and improve after a rough outing the previous week? "I don't think so!" he said-then said Washington was going to win and wouldn't even be close.

Reactions: tpmcg
As far as beating a great team with way more talent, the '78 OU game stands out.

But I'll toss out an odd one - the 1993 win at Kansas. Glen Mason could have ruined NU's unblemished season by kicking a game-tying PAT, but went for the win instead. If that game ends tied, there's no Orange Bowl showdown with Florida State - the game that put NU back on the map and created a lot of momentum for 1994.

I was a ball boy at that game. After KU scored that touchdown, you might notice the ref asking for a ball and not getting one. That was me, because I was having an internal temper tantrum.

I’m 39 so my memories really begins in the late ‘80’s/early 90’s. But 2001 OU has to be up there. That throw from Stuntz to Crouch pretty much sealed the Heisman for Crouch.

2009 OU would be up there too. That game propelled us to the CCG that year.

Reactions: scarletred
Tie between Bo Pelini's final game and Frank Solich's final game because we fire guys after beating scrubs like Iowa and Colorado.

Reactions: mel mains
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT