ADVERTISEMENT

Best Gameday Restaurants in the B1G

It has tradition, is in a good spot, and isn't fast food. I get it, but also agree that others are good too: Lazlo's, Leadbelly's, Phat Jacks, Dish are equal if not better in their own ways (are also in the area of the stadium & aren't fast food).

GBR

leadbelly's is awful and has no tradition. Phat Jacks and Dish are not "game day restaurants" IMO and I'm not sure what's so great about the Havelock area as that spot is not close to the stadium or game day atmosphere.

I was thinking of the Misty's downtown and yes, I realize it's not the "historic" Misty's...

I'd had solid food at Leadbelly's in the 10 or so times I've been there..but it's ok if your experience differs and you're not a fan. To each their own.

So what's a "gameday" restuarant? Runza? Val's? That's stadium concession food as we all know. I was thinking of places in the area of the stadium that aren't fast food, serve standard tailgating items, and are actual restuarants.

I see your post included no suggestions so maybe you have no idea (but you didn't attack Lazlo's so maybe that's one)??

GBR

leadbelly's is awful and has no tradition. Phat Jacks and Dish are not "game day restaurants" IMO and I'm not sure what's so great about the Havelock area as that spot is not close to the stadium or game day atmosphere.
What would be on your list? Personally it's been a very long time that I've spent time in a restaurant on game day. I would probably list Brewsky's, or Buzzard Billy's with Sparky's Wing Wagon coming in a close 3rd. Winking

I guess I will go to my grave never understanding the massive appeal of Misty's.
The times I've been there the prime rib was pretty dang good. A lot of the mystique is about the night before a game. It's a tradition.

What would be on your list? Personally it's been a very long time that I've spent time in a restaurant on game day. I would probably list Brewsky's, or Buzzard Billy's with Sparky's Wing Wagon coming in a close 3rd. Winking

The N-Zone has tradition, location, and good wings (no idea how they stack up to yours) 104.1 the Blaze is there doing promotions on game day a lot. Barry's is a go-to spot, so tradition and location, idk if you can count it as a restaurant on game day though and it is often so packed that it is pointless to go. Bison Witches is great, but idk if it is a traditional game day spot but it's close enough to the action. Buzzard Billy's is a good one. Jack's in the Haymarket is good too, but it is more bar even though they have food. Knickerbockers has tons of tradition and prime location as well... Brewsky's is definitely one, Lazlo's would be too.

Couple places that don't get enough credit: Single Barrel and the restaurant inside Embassy Suites. I'm sure all the other restaurants in the new hotels in the Haymarket will fall into this category soon enough.

Reactions: sparky62
The N-Zone has tradition, location, and good wings (no idea how they stack up to yours) 104.1 the Blaze is there doing promotions on game day a lot. Barry's is a go-to spot, so tradition and location, idk if you can count it as a restaurant on game day though and it is often so packed that it is pointless to go. Bison Witches is great, but idk if it is a traditional game day spot but it's close enough to the action. Buzzard Billy's is a good one. Jack's in the Haymarket is good too, but it is more bar even though they have food. Knickerbockers has tons of tradition and prime location as well... Brewsky's is definitely one, Lazlo's would be too.

Couple places that don't get enough credit: Single Barrel and the restaurant inside Embassy Suites. I'm sure all the other restaurants in the new hotels in the Haymarket will fall into this category soon enough.
Good list here. Of all of those, Lazlo's should probably be considered the #1 choice over Misty's.

I would not toss Twin Peaks in this list but I would imagine that place is packed on game day.

But really, who goes to the game to eat at a restaurant? If I am not eating/munching at a tailgate I usually just grab something at a bar or hit Lazaries for a slice.

I would not toss Twin Peaks in this list but I would imagine that place is packed on game day.

But really, who goes to the game to eat at a restaurant? If I am not eating/munching at a tailgate I usually just grab something at a bar or hit Lazaries for a slice.
I used to think that was kind of weird too, got some buddies that like to do that. But it's still a cool atmosphere, just being down in the middle of everything.

I was thinking of the Misty's downtown and yes, I realize it's not the "historic" Misty's...

I'd had solid food at Leadbelly's in the 10 or so times I've been there..but it's ok if your experience differs and you're not a fan. To each their own.

So what's a "gameday" restuarant? Runza? Val's? That's stadium concession food as we all know. I was thinking of places in the area of the stadium that aren't fast food, serve standard tailgating items, and are actual restuarants.

I see your post included no suggestions so maybe you have no idea (but you didn't attack Lazlo's so maybe that's one)??
I have had very good food at Leadbelly the dozen or so times I have been there.

Keep forgetting about the N-Zone. I've never eaten there but heard good things. Personally I have a hard time going to Lazlos on a game day. I reserve them for a more quiet atmosphere & if I go in there on game day my red & white dreadlocks or knitted corn hat might not fit in. Cool

You walk all the way to lazaries for a slice of pizza?

Keep forgetting about the N-Zone. I've never eaten there but heard good things. Personally I have a hard time going to Lazlos on a game day. I reserve them for a more quiet atmosphere & if I go in there on game day my red & white dreadlocks or knitted corn hat might not fit in. Cool
Now that would be a sight...

Reactions: sparky62
In the future I'm sure they will just say the entire Railyard/Haymarket area. With the sheer volume all of those places should be there a long time and I'm sure that will become a "traditional" spot.

You walk all the way to lazaries for a slice of pizza?
I LOVE O street on game day! Are you kidding me? I hit The Bar Bar, Brothers, The Rail, Bodegas, Sandy's, Cliffs, you name it. It is a blast. You don't hit O street ever?

I LOVE O street on game day! Are you kidding me? I hit The Bar Bar, Brothers, The Rail, Bodegas, Sandy's, Cliffs, you name it. It is a blast. You don't hit O street ever?
I have not been in an O street bar in at least 5 years

They are a lot of fun on game day. Tons of fans from the other school and all ages of people.
I don't doubt it. I just don't get down there. I like my set-up with shade and any channel on the big screen that I control. I spend more than enough on a tailgate spot, that way drinks are cheap on gameday! Haha

I don't doubt it. I just don't get down there. I like my set-up with shade and any channel on the big screen that I control. I spend more than enough on a tailgate spot, that way drinks are cheap on gameday! Haha
I hear that! We were in Lot 7 last year...I loved it but we did not renew it. I kind of wish we did. What lot/spot are you guys in?

I have, but that is a lot different than walking to lazaries for pizza... so you do the downtown area rather than the haymarket area. That's cool.

I have, but that is a lot different than walking to lazaries for pizza... so you do the downtown area rather than the haymarket area. That's cool.
Well, Lazaries is just right by the Rail, its not so bad. I sometimes check out my old frat house and we will sometimes park in that area so its easy.

I do like the Rail Yard area too.

ADVERTISEMENT