ADVERTISEMENT

Best #9 in Husker history

Tough.

Tony Veland the ex-Benson Bunny was as tough as they come.

Steve Taylor was a bad ass player as well.

Gotta go with Stevie Taylor. Some call him Turner-lite, but he didn't have the same cast of characters around him like Turner Gill did. His game against South Carolina in 1986 as a Soph on the road was pretty damn special.

Taylor. At his best, he ran the option better than any qb we've ever had. Too bad he couldn't do that every week.

Tough.

Tony Veland the ex-Benson Bunny was as tough as they come.

Steve Taylor was a bad ass player as well.

Gotta go with Stevie Taylor. Some call him Turner-lite, but he didn't have the same cast of characters around him like Turner Gill did. His game against South Carolina in 1986 as a Soph on the road was pretty damn special.
Bad ass player or badass player

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
Taylor. At his best, he ran the option better than any qb we've ever had. Too bad he couldn't do that every week.

C'mon.

Tommie ran it better than any player in CFB history. He was the selection at QB for SI and FWAA for their 1900's All-Century team.

Tommie was a 50% passer at best with receivers more open than Paris Hilton.

Reactions: TheBeav815
C'mon.

Tommie ran it better than any player in CFB history. He was the selection at QB for SI and FWAA for their 1900's All-Century team.

Tommie was a 50% passer at best with receivers more open than Paris Hilton.
Tommie was the best qb of all time, because he was consistently competitive. Week in, week out, he was a game changer. I'm saying that if Taylor could have maintained his best like Frazier, its not even close. Taylor was incredible when he wasn't being a headcase.

Tommie was the best qb of all time, because he was consistently competitive. Week in, week out, he was a game changer. I'm saying that if Taylor could have maintained his best like Frazier, its not even close. Taylor was incredible when he wasn't being a headcase.

We really going with the "its not even close" argument?

Steve Taylor was amazingly good. He played for TO in the hey-deys and nearly led 3 teams to a Natty. Those teams were all closer than the shave I'll have tomorrow.

Tommie was simply better because he changed the culture. He entered the game, and a switch was hit. '92 Colorodo and '92 Kansas. And the most important, the impossible obstacle of what was Florida State. A game we lost 27-14, but maybe home to the play that brought our greatness of '93-'97.

4th and 2. Game likely over, Tommie pivots back out of an option and gets a 1st down in the 4th quarter. I'll never forget that moment. That was a player that never accepted defeat.

All-American QB Steve Taylor. Two rushing yards away from becoming a 1000 run/1000 pass player in 1988.

FS Tony Veland, National and Super Bowl Championm, deserves mention ahead of the rest but below Steve Taylor.

Honorable Mention...
- DE Jason Ankrah
- SE and part-time Nebrasketball Forward Wilson Thomas
- OLB Mark Vedral

What could have been...
- WR Sam Burtch. Walk on had a solid sophomore season, then derailed by injuries.
- IB David Horne. Huge spark as a freshman, then playing time diminished with injuries and he transferred to Northern Iowa.

Moments...
- The Sam Keller season.
- QB, 3-time National Champion, and current Omaha Anesthesiologist Monte Christo getting the start against Texas on Halloween in 1998 (the game that ended our 47-game home winning streak) after leading a comeback win against Missouri the previous week.
I tried to find the "Count Monte Christo" ABC clip, but the 1998 Nebraska-Texas game is no longer on the bmboldt 1998 season playlist and the version by utexgrad is a chopped up version that doesn't include it.

Also, Beach Boys founder Bryan Wilson. Sorry, wrong spelling.

I'm going with the late Russell Gary, who unfortunately passed away last year. Outstanding DB for the Huskers and a solid career with the Saints. Nothing against Taylor or Veland, who were great. I just have to put Gary at the top of the list.

Still think Godwski ended up being a better QB than Taylor for us..
Gdowski was a good QB but check out NU's schedule the year he started vs. the teams Taylor had to face. Very weak non-conference schedule and the first year of the Gary Gibbs era at OU.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I'm going with the late Russell Gary, who unfortunately passed away last year. Outstanding DB for the Huskers and a solid career with the Saints. Nothing against Taylor or Veland, who were great. I just have to put Gary at the top of the list.
Russell Gary died? Any details?

Anyone care to post Steve Taylor’s passing stats?

He was not a good passer, probably somewhere in the 45% range and close to even on TD/INT maybe 20 TDs

He wasn't close to being a 1000/1000 guy, I think his best year for rushing the ball was a little over 800 yards and he only threw for 1000 yards once and it was barely over 1000.

He was not a good passer, probably somewhere in the 45% range and close to even on TD/INT maybe 20 TDs

He wasn't close to being a 1000/1000 guy, I think his best year for rushing the ball was a little over 800 yards and he only threw for 1000 yards once and it was barely over 1000.
I stand corrected, I was only looking at his rushing yards "gained" and not his net for 1988.

Steve Taylor Huskers.com Profile

I always thought Taylor would have benefited greatly from the shotgun formation, which TO didn't employ until a few years later. The shotgun wouldn't have turned him into a 60% passer or anything like that, but his footwork when playing under center always seemed a bit off.

Reactions: TFrazier
Steve Taylor was a very good quarterback. I will always remember him for being a tremendous athlete, carrying the football like a loaf of bread and this quote heading into the 1987 Oklahoma game...

“The flat-out truth is, Oklahoma can’t play with us. They are not good enough. Let me tell you, it might not even be close, and I mean that.”

I wish he could have backed up his comments in the most important games.

I will give it to Taylor as the best player to wear #9. I can’t think of anyone else to wear that number that was better and I have tried. Winking

Last edited:
I got your back. Agreed ... Gary.

Taylor. Part of TOs highest ranked recruiting class and Steve was Toms QB of choice that class. Could have signed Rodney Peete instead but TO went with Taylor. Peete went on and finished 2nd in the Heisman his SR year behind a so-so RB no one remembers. Winking

Taylor. Part of TOs highest ranked recruiting class and Steve was Toms QB of choice that class. Could have signed Rodney Peete instead but TO went with Taylor. Peete went on and finished 2nd in the Heisman his SR year behind a so-so RB no one remembers. Winking

Oklahoma State never started him till his Senior year.

Reactions: spinner4
Doesn’t matter the recruiting ranking. Taylor was good no doubt but recruiting ranking doesn’t matter. Baker Steinkuhler was a 5 star. And the best #9 per his recruiting ranking is Brett Clark by far. He was a stud on one of Nebraska’s best D’s statistically.

Doesn’t matter the recruiting ranking. Taylor was good no doubt but recruiting ranking doesn’t matter. Baker Steinkuhler was a 5 star. And the best #9 per his recruiting ranking is Brett Clark by far. He was a stud on one of Nebraska’s best D’s statistically.

Which is it Gary or Clark? You don't get two votes, and you don't get to count the mail in ballot for your third either.

Which is it Gary or Clark? You don't get two votes, and you don't get to count the mail in ballot for your third either.
Gary all things being equal. If you consider recruiting hype Brett Clark. From Neb City he didn’t get much but was a fantastic AA safety.

ADVERTISEMENT