ADVERTISEMENT

Best #4 in Husker history

NU's had some other good #4s, but David stands out for me. One of the top half-dozen LBs the program has ever had, in my opinion.

Stepping outside the lines for a moment, Venson Hamilton won a Big 12 POY award wearing #4 and it's been a good number for Husker baseball. Alex Gordon wore it, as did one of my favorite NU players - John Cole. I think Cole had a shot at the majors as a utility man, had he not wrecked his knee.

Lavonte David is as good of a linebacker as we have ever had. He was truly phenomenal. He burst on the scene and set the all time record for tackles in a season. The next year he played even better and kept a shaky defense from totally falling part in our first year of the Big 10. He stole the ball from Braxton Miller and started our comeback. He also stuffed Penn State's running back on 4th down when they were trying to win the game for JoePa right after his firing.

If he played for the Cowboys or Patriots, he would be a household name to all NFL fans. Since no one cares about Tampa and since the team hasn't done anything for his whole career, he isn't a big star. Maybe that will change since Brady and Gronk are down there now.

Honorable mention to Cory Ross, who had a great career and saved our butts a number of times.

LB Lavonte David. Not bad for a guy Pelini was convinced wasn't sound in his assignments.

Honorable Mention...
- SAM Troy Dumas. The image of Dumas's interception of Chad May 1994 at Kansas State and Dumas pumping up the Husker fans in the end zone before the 1995 Orange Bowl against Miami as two moment's I won't forget.
- IB Cory Ross after he transformed from "Pork Chop" to "Little Chopper".
- FB and Urologist Judd Davies.
- WR/OF/Pinch Runner Ty Kildow. Did you get a runner on late and need a run? Put Ty on the basepaths. Sorry, wrong sport.
- Rover/WLB Octavious McFarlin.
- DE Randy Gregory (for a year).
- QB Tommy Armstrong Jr. Strange for someone to be a team captain as a junior (2015), then not a captain as a senior (2016).

Which reminds me: What do Joe Dailey and Adrian Martinez have in common? Both were captains as sophomores.

What could have been...
- IB DeAngelo Evans

Memories...
- The 2009 game at Missouri, Thursday night in a downpour, scored 27 unanswered after falling behind 12-0. The game was great, and a lot of players got sick leading into the game. Anyone listen to Schick and Nick? There was a "best of all time" clip called "Garbage Pail Huskers". The ones I remember were "John Pa-pooped-his-pants" (DC John Papachis), "Menonucleous Holt" (WR Menelik Holt), and ma-Larry Asante (malaria). Holt wore #4 before changing to #18, Asante wore #4 as well.
- Lavonte David's strip that saved the season...

Futures Consideration...
- WR Alante Brown
- DT Keem Green

Craig Bohl!
And Larry Valasek was a pretty good #4

Larry held the state speed record for a stupid amount of time from what I understand.

Worked with him quite a bit on the railroad some years ago. Nice guy, used to love to play dice while waiting for track and time watching steel gangs all day.

Reactions: saluno22
Larry held the state speed record for a stupid amount of time from what I understand.

Worked with him quite a bit on the railroad some years ago. Nice guy, used to love to play dice while waiting for track and time watching steel gangs all day.
Did he ever make the world series?

Reactions: Sinomatic
That 96 KSU game, DeAngelo Evans shows some things for a true freshman RB that are off the charts. What a shame the way it all turned out, he had gifts that cannot be taught.

LD is one of the most instinctual linebackers we've ever had. Comparisons to Terrel Farley and rightly so, wasn't always "by the book" but he just flat out got there and made plays. Dude was a tackling machine and has done himself proud in the NFL as well even though he's undersized for the traditional 4-3 WILL role in an NFL defense.

Didn't Ed Stewart wear 4 as well? Hell of a player as well, underrated guy on those defenses. Or maybe I'm thinking of Dumas.

That 96 KSU game, DeAngelo Evans shows some things for a true freshman RB that are off the charts. What a shame the way it all turned out, he had gifts that cannot be taught.

LD is one of the most instinctual linebackers we've ever had. Comparisons to Terrel Farley and rightly so, wasn't always "by the book" but he just flat out got there and made plays. Dude was a tackling machine and has done himself proud in the NFL as well even though he's undersized for the traditional 4-3 WILL role in an NFL defense.

Didn't Ed Stewart wear 4 as well? Hell of a player as well, underrated guy on those defenses. Or maybe I'm thinking of Dumas.

Ed Stewart wore 32, and yes it was Dumas that was 4. Irregardless, we all loved those defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT