ADVERTISEMENT

Best #12 in Husker history

Turner Gill was on a poster on my bedroom wall as a teenager. FYI, I went to the same high school as his sister, Jackie. She was in my English class. She goes, "You know of my brother?" Duhhhhhh. :D

Reactions: saluno22
I'm going QB and Nebraseball Infielder Turner Gill. Second-round draft pick by the Chicago White Sox out of high school.

Honorable Mention...
- QB/WB Bobby Newcombe.

- IB Jarvis Redwine. I didn't know he transferred to Nebraska from Oregon State.
- QB and NFL Referee Clete Blakeman.
- QB Joe Ganz was a gamer. Too bad Callahan didn't play him until Keller broke his collarbone in 2007.
- Safety-turned-OLB and current Dallas Cowboy Luke Gifford.

Moments...
- Newcombe single-handedly winning the 1999 game at Kansas.
- Rutgers transfer Mike Fullman's punt return against Kansas State in 1995 (at about 8:50 if it doesn't just there immediately)...

... Mike Fullman was not listed in the 1995 media guide. Dude came out of nowhere.
- Courtney Osborne's roughing the passer penalty at Texas A&M, a game in which we had 16 penalties for 145 yards, both school records...

Also, I did not realize PK Tom Sieler was 6'5.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Didn't Bobby Reynolds wear #12? I would go with Gill at the top, followed by Reynolds. Humm definitely in the conversation, with Newcombe and Redwine also deserving of a mention.

Never forget the first time I saw Gill run out on the field. He was so smooth and graceful. What an incredible athlete and person.
I had something kinda similar happen. I happened to be standing near the tunnel where the team exited the locker room under the south stadium when Gill and the other captains led the team out for the '82 Iowa game. You'll recall that we'd lost to Iowa 10-7 the previous year. I had never seen, and to this day never have again, a look like Gill had in his eyes as he headed for the field. I wish I could describe it better -- all I can say is that he was laser focused and pissed off. My buddy saw it too and mentioned that, if he was a gambler, he'd put a million dollars on Nebraska right now. You could just tell that Gill was not going to let this game be lost. Iowa came out onto the field in that stupid amoeba formation and Nebraska won something like 58-0. What a stud of a player.

I will respectfully disagree. Bobby Reynolds is the single best player to ever wear this number. In my opinion, this is the most celebrated number in the history of the program: Gill, Humm, Redwine, Sorley, Newcombe. Wow.

Yes, Reynolds broke his leg and separated his shoulder cut his career short but had rushing and scoring records for his first year..

That is why I have Gill and Reynolds together those are at the very top.

Joe Daily

Take a few laps. :)

And do some stadium steps in the afternoon heat when you are done!! Winking

Memorial_Stadium.jpg

Going with Newcombe. The most versatile player we have ever had other than Johnny Rodgers. Starting qb, starting WR, starting punt returner. Probably can't say that about anybody else.

I had something kinda similar happen. I happened to be standing near the tunnel where the team exited the locker room under the south stadium when Gill and the other captains led the team out for the '82 Iowa game. You'll recall that we'd lost to Iowa 10-7 the previous year. I had never seen, and to this day never have again, a look like Gill had in his eyes as he headed for the field. I wish I could describe it better -- all I can say is that he was laser focused and pissed off. My buddy saw it too and mentioned that, if he was a gambler, he'd put a million dollars on Nebraska right now. You could just tell that Gill was not going to let this game be lost. Iowa came out onto the field in that stupid amoeba formation and Nebraska won something like 58-0. What a stud of a player.

Reactions: HuskerJack95
Have a Turner Gill story. Older fans may remember that Gill suffered a nerve injury to his leg in a game against, IIRC, ISU in 1981. There was some talk that he was done with football, as the swelling in the nerve casing might have permanently damaged the nerve. Flash forward to summer, 1982. Gill and Nate Mason played pickup basketball most nights at the courts on South St. by Junior Golf Course. I played there many nights as well. One night I was back on defense on a 3 on 1 fast break. Mason had the ball in the middle, Gill was on my left. I faked a move at Mason to make him pick up the dribble, which he did. I assumed he would pass the ball to his buddy, Gill, rather than the other guy on the right, so as soon as Mason picked up his dribble I cut to where I expected the passed ball to be. Again, I was right. Unfortunately, Gill cut hard toward the basket for some reason. He and I hit going full tilt. I got up with a skinned elbow and split lip. But there was Gill, rolling around the court holding his leg. It turned out that he had just tweaked his ankle. But for about 30 seconds I was sure I had reinjured his surgically repaired leg, some 4 weeks before the start of fall camp. I was well into my plan on how to escape Nebraska and the howling mob, using the back roads, before Gill popped back up, ready to play.

Have a Turner Gill story. Older fans may remember that Gill suffered a nerve injury to his leg in a game against, IIRC, ISU in 1981. There was some talk that he was done with football, as the swelling in the nerve casing might have permanently damaged the nerve. Flash forward to summer, 1982. Gill and Nate Mason played pickup basketball most nights at the courts on South St. by Junior Golf Course. I played there many nights as well. One night I was back on defense on a 3 on 1 fast break. Mason had the ball in the middle, Gill was on my left. I faked a move at Mason to make him pick up the dribble, which he did. I assumed he would pass the ball to his buddy, Gill, rather than the other guy on the right, so as soon as Mason picked up his dribble I cut to where I expected the passed ball to be. Again, I was right. Unfortunately, Gill cut hard toward the basket for some reason. He and I hit going full tilt. I got up with a skinned elbow and split lip. But there was Gill, rolling around the court holding his leg. It turned out that he had just tweaked his ankle. But for about 30 seconds I was sure I had reinjured his surgically repaired leg, some 4 weeks before the start of fall camp. I was well into my plan on how to escape Nebraska and the howling mob, using the back roads, before Gill popped back up, ready to play.
Good story. I played a lot of pickup basketball with and against Gill too. He was fun to have on the court - unselfish player who moved without the ball and rewarded you if you did the same.

But a couple of times I got tangled up with him, and once he landed on my foot and tweaked his ankle a little bit. Each time I briefly pictured myself on a WANTED poster.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Good story. I played a lot of pickup basketball with and against Gill too. He was fun to have on the court - unselfish player who moved without the ball and rewarded you if you did the same.

But a couple of times I got tangled up with him, and once he landed on my foot and tweaked his ankle a little bit. Each time I briefly pictured myself on a WANTED poster.

Lol. I agree. Gill was great to play with. Mason was also great to play against, because he was such a competitor, he would go nuts if you were beating him. One game I was especially hot from 20-22 feet. He finally grabbed the guy guarding me, threw him aside and started covering me. The next time I got the ball I faked, he went up, and I ducked under his arm and shot the ball coming out of a crouch. Swish. Or actually rattle, since the nets were chain. I couldn't have made that shot again for a million bucks. But it was so fun watching him almost explode.

Reactions: schuele
Van Brownson made my dad's 102nd birthday in Council Bluffs by showing up at the request of his friend from Shenandoah. Van talked with dad and I for a half hour regarding Husker football. What an enjoyable conversation we had!!! Van was all-state in both football and basketball in Iowa at the same time I was in high school. Van and Jerry Tagge shared starting games during the 1969 and 70 seasons with Van starting most of the time. That all changed when Van slammed into a team bench on a running play in Boulder against Colorado the latter part of 1970. The team benches were closer to the sideline because Folsom Field is smaller than most stadiums. Van banged his elbow real hard against the bench and said most of his right arm turned black and blue. Tagge took over and the rest is history.

Van Brownson made my dad's 102nd birthday in Council Bluffs by showing up at the request of his friend from Shenandoah. Van talked with dad and I for a half hour regarding Husker football. What an enjoyable conversation we had!!! Van was all-state in both football and basketball in Iowa at the same time I was in high school. Van and Jerry Tagge shared starting games during the 1969 and 70 seasons with Van starting most of the time. That all changed when Van slammed into a team bench on a running play in Boulder against Colorado the latter part of 1970. The team benches were closer to the sideline because Folsom Field is smaller than most stadiums. Van banged his elbow real hard against the bench and said most of his right arm turned black and blue. Tagge took over and the rest is history.

Nice story..Up until the Colorado game Brownson and Tagge were pretty even during the 1970 season similar to Frazier and Berringer. One always came in for the other when the team needed them the most and never missed a beat..

Last edited:
Reactions: heywoodhusker
Lol. I agree. Gill was great to play with. Mason was also great to play against, because he was such a competitor, he would go nuts if you were beating him. One game I was especially hot from 20-22 feet. He finally grabbed the guy guarding me, threw him aside and started covering me. The next time I got the ball I faked, he went up, and I ducked under his arm and shot the ball coming out of a crouch. Swish. Or actually rattle, since the nets were chain. I couldn't have made that shot again for a million bucks. But it was so fun watching him almost explode.
Nate Mason was the forgotten quarterback. Anyone know what he’s doing today?

I'm going QB and Nebraseball Infielder Turner Gill. Second-round draft pick by the Chicago White Sox out of high school.

Honorable Mention...
- QB/WB Bobby Newcombe.

- IB Jarvis Redwine. I didn't know he transferred to Nebraska from Oregon State.
- QB and NFL Referee Clete Blakeman.
- QB Joe Ganz was a gamer. Too bad Callahan didn't play him until Keller broke his collarbone in 2007.
- Safety-turned-OLB and current Dallas Cowboy Luke Gifford.

Moments...
- Newcombe single-handedly winning the 1999 game at Kansas.
- Rutgers transfer Mike Fullman's punt return against Kansas State in 1995 (at about 8:50 if it doesn't just there immediately)...

... Mike Fullman was not listed in the 1995 media guide. Dude came out of nowhere.
- Courtney Osborne's roughing the passer penalty at Texas A&M, a game in which we had 16 penalties for 145 yards, both school records...

Also, I did not realize PK Tom Sieler was 6'5.
Every time I see Newcombe highlights I'm reminded how very special that kid was.

Reactions: Baxter48
Can't believe I forgot this moment: Joe Dailey running out of bounds after about a 10-yard gain on 4th and 15 with 37 seconds left and down 21-17 vs. Southern Miss in 2004.

Can't believe I forgot this moment: Joe Dailey running out of bounds after about a 10-yard gain on 4th and 15 with 37 seconds left and down 21-17 vs. Southern Miss in 2004.

80,000 people all groaned at once.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT