ADVERTISEMENT

Best #1 in Husker history

It’s Phillips but Westerkamp gave 4 seasons of highest level play.
ZNb2-SDPUnQloY3XKuD8gL3Ps-tQkiBAJLsctX9YtffOF1wTvpGyREL-fJVgSlEcmAzM5sRDvJxVlGP11x7L5u2-A3zRlRL7L1_SpVDQJA-tsRKFrj1MuppT145_LyFl

Wonder how many of those gals, Mains scored with? @HuskerDocCO any thoughts?

Reactions: WC_'sker
If we had let Frankie London play in 96, it would have been him.

Frankie London

Scott Frost was booed off the field at halftime in the 2nd game of the 1997 season against UCF. A team who was guided by a 1st round draft pick QB known as Daunte Culpepper.

In pure ironic redeeming quality, Scott ended up at UCF to turn that program around.

Us fans wanted Frankie London over Scott Frost. A week later Frost led us to a romp over #2 Washington on the road and all was well again.

But to answer the question. Yes. LP. All day. Every day. Most talented RB we have ever had. TO did his best to protect and help him. Man just had too many demons and a sordid, sordid childhood. I knew LP. He meant well. I can offer nothing more than just shaking my head in angst, disgust, and hope while fighting back tears. Damon Benning and Clinton Childs know him better. I can't even type what I'm thinking anymore about LP. I'll just say, he deserved better before he stepped on campus at Nebraska.

Lawrence Motherf*ckin' Phillips.
Another in a long line of I-backs who left after their junior season.
He WAS the offense at Kansas State in 1994. They knew what was coming and couldn't stop him.
Legend has it he had a broken thumb going into that game. Christian Peter knew this and was going easy on him in practice during the week. Lawrence essentially said "The hell with that, target my thumb because it's going to take a beating in the game."
Would have been great if he played in the first half of the 1994 Orange Bowl against Florida State.

I feel Academic All-American K Dale Klein deserves to be ahead of all the other Honorable Mention players.

Same for CB Zack Bowman on the defensive side of the ball. He was a shining light among a real turd of a defense under Cosgrove.

Honorable Mention...
- WR Jordan Westerkamp.
- WILL Eric Johnson. Had a blocked punt in a Super Bowl for Oakland as well.
- Oft-injured QB Mike Grant.
- CB Lornell McPherson.
- WR Chris Brooks. A better late than never player, and he hung around a couple seasons in the NFL.
- Touchback Machine Adi Kunalic.
- WR/OF Khiry Cooper. Well, a bit of a disappointment on the gridiron.

Couldn't quite put it all together...
- IB Thunder Collins.

Moments...
- Lawrence Phillips playing his way into a Top 10 NFL Draft Pick in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl.
- Warren Sapp using two fingers to bring down Lawrence Phillips by the horsecollar in the 1995 Orange Bowl.
- Dale Klein's 7-FG game at Missouri in 1985.
- Frankie London's drive against Central Florida in 1997. ;)
- Zack Bowmangiving up his Blackshirt.
- Adi Kunalic sending a kickoff out of bounds late in the 2009 Big 12 CCG against Texas.

Futures Consideration...
Wan'dale Robinson

Thanks for posting each day - I enjoyed this thread.

Just for fun I'll make tomorrow's entry by saying the NCAA will allow zero to be worn in the upcoming spring season, and Omar Manning will wear it while becoming the greatest spring football sensation since Frank Lockett... or at least since Wyatt Mazour.

Thanks for posting each day - I enjoyed this thread.

Just for fun I'll make tomorrow's entry by saying the NCAA will allow zero to be worn in the upcoming spring season, and Omar Manning will wear it while becoming the greatest spring football sensation since Frank Lockett... or at least since Wyatt Mazour.
I suspect we will someday have a player wear zero, but as of right now that number is vacant. Manning is wearing #5.

LP without a doubt. I never knew him but knew people who knew him well. I can't add anything to StoneTempHusker's eloquent post. He and Marcus Dupree are the 2 biggest "what could have been" RB's I ever saw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT