ADVERTISEMENT

Benning Says Nebraska Needs To Accept They Are A Developmental Program

did your team even play for a conference title 2/3 years ago?

listen, if you want to pound your chest for "almost matching Kansas's best season", that's up to you. I'll never stop making fun of it & calling it what it is (pathetic).

in order to say you've won something, you have to, you know, actually win something.

"Welcome to minnesota, where we once won the capital one bowl!" LOL
We were 10-1 (7-1) and in sole-possession of 1st place in the West going into the last game of the season.

You guys denigrate that, say it's nothing, and say it's not in contention for anything. It seems like Nebraska's plan is to tear the Big Ten down rather than bring Nebraska up.

Reactions: Ree4
This. It would be like saying Nebraska didn’t accomplish anything in 2001 because they didn’t win/play for a conference title and didn’t win the national title.

Iowa has averaged almost 9 wins a season the last 8 years (not including 2020 when they probably would have won 10). Being 6-1 in Kinnick in the last 7 games against top 10 teams is an accomplishment. Handing Urban Meyer the largest defeat in his career is an accomplishment. Being inches away from the CFP is an accomplishment.

I’m also 100% positive that Bennings comments are being completely missed here. His point was nothing about Nebraska being in Iowa’s head. He was pleading with the Husker coaches to have a better culture. The example of the Husker game last year was exactly what he was talking about.

Look no further than Scott Frost in post game saying “we knew the game was over after the blocked punt”. How the hell can you think that when you’re at home with the ball and the lead in the fourth quarter? It’s not bad luck that Nebraska sucks in close games.
How is inches away from the CFP is an accomplishment? Nebraska was inches away from the National Title in 1983 and that wasn’t an accomplishment..

It was a great season where we fell short but it wasn’t accomplished not converting the two point conversion…

1983 team was one of the best teams in college football history to not win a National championship..

We were 10-1 (7-1) and in sole-possession of 1st place in the West going into the last game of the season.

You guys denigrate that, say it's nothing, and say it's not in contention for anything. It seems like Nebraska's plan is to tear the Big Ten down rather than bring Nebraska up.
And finished the season 10-2 (7-2). Who cares?

And finished the season 10-2 (7-2). Who cares?
Exactly, nice season that should be celebrated on the minn homeboard only.

let’s say a team plays 14 games and of those 14 games, there’s 6 pretty good opponents, of those 6 pretty good opponents said team loses 4 of those games, said team finishes 10-4, but lost to 2/3 of the pretty good teams they played. Definitely not an accomplishment that should be posted on another teams board.

We were 10-1 (7-1) and in sole-possession of 1st place in the West going into the last game of the season
And then what happened?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

As with much of the B1G’s claim to competitiveness, it seems we require a caveated compromise so you can feel better

I will accept a meaningless 11-2 season as an “accomplishment” when put thusly:

“An 11-2 season where we didn’t even play for a league championship is something to be proud of… if you’re minnesota” (or purdue, illinois, indiana, Rutgers, maryland, iowa, northwestern, etc.)

careful you don’t hurt your elbow patting yourself on the back for nearly matching Kansas’s best season! what an accomplishment (for minnesota)!

And then what happened?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

As with much of the B1G’s claim to competitiveness, it seems we require a caveated compromise so you can feel better

I will accept a meaningless 11-2 season as an “accomplishment” when put thusly:

“An 11-2 season where we didn’t even play for a league championship is something to be proud of… if you’re minnesota” (or purdue, illinois, indiana, Rutgers, maryland, iowa, northwestern, etc.)

careful you don’t hurt your elbow patting yourself on the back for nearly matching Kansas’s best season! what an accomplishment (for minnesota)!
At least you got our final record right (11-2) and didn't short us.

But it's a fact that we were in Playoff contention until the last regular season game. You and others who say we didn't contend are wrong. And I highly disagree that a season like that is no better than a Nebraska-type season. Not everyone is a failure like you say.

Iowa stands strong on their own merits. You know it too-- which is why it's created the reactions from you and others here...a program that's done well a long time and you wondering why you can't. I'd be troubled by it too. This entire thread started about Nebraska needing to recognize there are a developmental program according to Benning-- but many of you instead couldn't help turning it into an opportunity to try bashing your school of envy.

And yes, Iowans hammer on Nebraska's plight just because much of the NU fanbase is some of the worst anywhere. This has been shared by numerous Wisconsin and Minnesota fans too-- even Iowa State fans going way back. You reap what you sew and ultimately it comes back around.
It’s so funny to hear people say things and not think it can happen to them.

If this is true, then it can and certainly will come back around for you. The level of “success” that Iowa had will be followed by down years. The difference is the drop off between the two programs. Nebraska fell off of a mountain top and Iowa fell off of an anthill.

How is inches away from the CFP is an accomplishment? Nebraska was inches away from the National Title in 1983 and that wasn’t an accomplishment..

It was a great season where we fell short but it wasn’t accomplished not converting the two point conversion…

1983 team was one of the best teams in college football history to not win a National championship..
What? You literally said “10 win season are still pretty special and accomplishment…”

Are you really that frail minded that you change your mind when a Hawk fan agrees with you? Unless you meant that 10 wins seasons are still accomplishments but 12 wins seasons aren’t. 😂

What? You literally said “10 win season are still pretty special and accomplishment…”

Are you really that frail minded that you change your mind when a Hawk fan agrees with you? Unless you meant that 10 wins seasons are still accomplishments but 12 wins seasons aren’t. 😂
12 win season is accomplishment never said other wise, can’t you comprehend that missing the CFP by inches isn’t accomplishment?

Comparing a season is one thing but you were comparing one play that you failed in getting into the Playoffs just like Nebraska missing by inches of winning the national title that wasn’t accomplishment...

Never said either one of those seasons wasn’t accomplishment…

Your best win last year (best season in iowa history) was over an unranked, 8-win Penn st team without their quarterback

the media gifted you with your highest ranking ever and your god kurt ferentz promptly shit his britches and got stuffed in a locker by purdue while all those sick kids watched

congrats (on being a pathetic loser)

Last edited:

Lol……at least be honest about which fan base is obsessed. The Iowa fans obsession with Nebraska football is well established and the proof is constantly on the first page of the Iowa board. There’s an entire thread talking about how Nebraska fans were nice when winning and crappy when losing. Hello Iowa fans, you were total a$$holes when you were losing and you are total a$$holes while winning.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...ebraska-or-western-iowa.396798/#post-10340332

Last edited:
Lol……at least be honest about which fan base is obsessed. The Iowa fans obsession with Nebraska football is well established and the proof is constantly on the first page of the Iowa board. There’s an entire thread talking about how Nebraska fans were nice when winning and crappy when losing. Hello Iowa fans, you were total a$$holes when you were losing and you are total a$$holes while winning.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...ebraska-or-western-iowa.396798/#post-10340332
He's the biggest two faced liar of the bunch. The loser lives on this board.

It's a historic trophy with a real origin.

The 1934 game between the Hawkeyes and Golden Gophers had been filled with controversy over the treatment of Iowa star halfback Ozzie Simmons. Simmons was also one of the few black football players of that era, and several rough hits by the Gophers on Simmons forced him to leave the game multiple times in Minnesota’s 48–12 victory. “What it amounted to was that they were piling on – late hits,” Simmons recalled. “I had bruised ribs...they came at me with knees high, and some of it was pretty obvious.”[2]

The following year, Coach Bernie Bierman’s Gophers were 5–0, and Coach Ossie Solem’s Hawkeyes were 4–0–1. Before the 1935 Iowa–Minnesota contest in Iowa City, Bierman received a flood of threatening letters from Iowa fans. He requested and received special police protection for the team when it detrained in Iowa a couple of days before the contest.[3]

The day before the game, Iowa Governor Clyde L. Herring told reporters, "If the officials stand for any rough tactics like Minnesota used last year, I'm sure the crowd won't."[4] Herring’s message was clear. “What he was saying was, ‘If you treat Ozzie like you treated him last year, we’re coming out of the stands,’” Simmons said.[5]

The news quickly reached Minnesota. Coach Bierman threatened to break off athletic relations. Minnesota Attorney General Harry H. Peterson practically accused the Iowa governor of thuggery. "Your remark that the crowd at the Iowa–Minnesota game will not stand for any rough tactics is calculated to incite a riot," said Peterson. "It is a breach of your duty as governor, and evidences an unsportsmanlike, cowardly and contemptible frame of mind."[3]

To lighten the mood, Minnesota Governor Floyd Olson sent a telegram to Governor Herring on game-day morning, which read, "Minnesota folks are excited over your statement about Iowa crowds lynching the Minnesota football team. I have assured them you are law abiding gentlemen and are only trying to get our goat...I will bet you a Minnesota prize hog against an Iowa prize hog that Minnesota wins."[4]

The Iowa governor accepted, and word of the bet reached Iowa City as the crowd gathered at the stadium. The situation calmed, and the game proceeded without incident. Minnesota won 13–6, and Iowa star Ozzie Simmons played an injury-free game. Afterward, Minnesota players went out of their way to compliment Simmons, and Simmons praised the Gophers for their clean, hard-fought play. Minnesota went on to win their second straight national championship.

Governor Herring obtained an award-winning prize pig which had been donated by Allen Loomis, the owner of Rosedale Farms near Fort Dodge, Iowa. Dubbed Floyd after Minnesota Governor Olson, the pig was the brother of Blue Boy from Will Rogers' movie State Fair. A few days later, Governor Herring collected "Floyd of Rosedale" and personally walked him into Governor Olson’s carpeted office.[4]

Iowa social crusader Virgil Case swore out a criminal warrant in Des Moines against Governor Herring, alleging that the bet violated Iowa gambling laws.[6] Herring jokingly stated that he had retained Governor Olson as his attorney, who argued that it was not a true bet because Herring did not have a chance of winning it.[6] However, an assistant Iowa attorney general convinced a judge to dismiss on jurisdictional grounds because the bet had been made in Minnesota and Iowa City, beyond the local court's jurisdiction.[6] The Case also argued that the governors were guilty of violating federal gambling laws because the pig had been placed into interstate commerce when Herring made good on the bet, but the U.S. Attorneys declined to prosecute.[6] President Franklin Roosevelt's former son-in-law, Curtis Dall, who attended the 1935 game as a guest of the governors, suggested that they name the pig "New Deal." Herring vetoed that proposal.
Seriously? Ffs

Iowa has stood quite well on their own for the past 20+ years under Ferentz and did most of Fry's 20-year tenure too.

The biggest take-a-way here are two things:

1) Benning is quite envious of a program that he sees clearly has a much clearer vision than does his own alma mater and that really bothers him- and that translates to on-the-field success.

2) Nebraska still wants to believe they are a top tier program when they aren't. Benning was emphatic that Nebraska needs to embrace who they are-- and in his words, they are just like Iowa and most schools-- a developmental program.

Sadly Nebraska has been an after thought for Iowa on the field having won the last 7 straight. Whatever methods and means necessary to win and clearly Iowa has had the huge edge over Nebraska.

Same number as your last five coaches.

Like I've said before. Fish in a barrel!

Just curious about a couple items from the Iowa board:

1. There is a constant gripe about husker fans on that board, yet I rarely read any posts by husker fans over there, please explain….

2. A favorite term to describe husker fans by Iowa fans is “delusional”. Is it more delusional to expect or hope your team can get back to the top where they were as recently as 2001 or to expect a team that no one under 70 remembers being at the top to get there for the first time in 60 plus years??? Are both delusional???

Just curious about a couple items from the Iowa board:

1. There is a constant gripe about husker fans on that board, yet I rarely read any posts by husker fans over there, please explain….

2. A favorite term to describe husker fans by Iowa fans is “delusional”. Is it more delusional to expect or hope your team can get back to the top where they were as recently as 2001 or to expect a team that no one under 70 remembers being at the top to get there for the first time in 60 plus years??? Are both delusional???
I guess I should have Nebraska in my screen name.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaHogeyeDoosh
I guess I should have Nebraska in my screen name.
How very hawkeye fan of you not to answer any of the questions directly.

There are very few husker fans that care about Iowa football and would prefer to not discuss them at all on this board and that is why I will limit my daily “Husker update from the hawkeye board” to this thread that was started by an Iowa fan.

Here’s an instant classic, btw there was a thread entitled “Nebraska’s sh$t” over there, but it was deleted by a mod…..

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/nebraska-superlatives-is-it-any-wonder.396912/#post-10345409

More husker highlights from the hypocrites to the East:

1. Evidently we are arrogant and wouldn’t give Iowa credit even if Iowa won a NC.

2. We hold husker historical dominance in football over Iowa fans, evidently unlike most Iowa fans do to clone fans.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...either-nebraska-or-western-iowa.396798/page-2
They do make some valid points. Like no matter how well another team does, Husker fans don't give them any credit. No credit is ever given except to Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State. Everybody else stinks.

And Nebraska fans did think that they would waltz in and dominate in the Big Ten. That is the truth.

Last edited:
They do make some valid points. Like no matter how well another team does, Husker fans don't give them any credit. No credit is ever given except to Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State. Everybody else stinks.

And Nebraska fans did think think that they would waltz in and dominate in the Big Ten. That is the truth.
Lol…..Nebraska was fine the first four seasons. No Nebraska fans I know thought or said Nebraska would dominate the bigten. Nebraska wasn’t dominating the Big12 and the Big12 was at least as good if not better than the bigten at the time.

I will continue to point out the hawkeye obsession with Nebraska football, but I will keep it to this one thread.

Reactions: BleedRed78

And Nebraska fans did think think that they would waltz in and dominate in the Big Ten. That is the truth.

Thanks for telling us what we thought. Even if it isn’t true.

Lol…..Nebraska was fine the first four seasons. No Nebraska fans I know thought or said Nebraska would dominate the bigten. Nebraska wasn’t dominating the Big12 and the Big12 was at least as good if not better than the bigten at the time.

I will continue to point out the hawkeye obsession with Nebraska football, but I will keep it to this one thread.
I mean you thought you would dominate all the West teams and only have to worry about Ohio State and just a couple others periodically.

It's much more difficult to win in the Big Ten. Look at Penn State too. And sure, Nebraska did fine in the first few seasons...but sustaining it becomes much more difficult.

Like I'm sure Gonzaga in basketball would do fine in the Big Ten for a couple years...but then they'd fall apart.

I mean you thought you would dominate all the West teams and only have to worry about Ohio State and just a couple others periodically.

It's much more difficult to win in the Big Ten. Look at Penn State too. And sure, Nebraska did fine in the first few seasons...but sustaining it becomes much more difficult.

Like I'm sure Gonzaga in basketball would do fine in the Big Ten for a couple years...but then they'd fall apart.
So now your story has changed. Yep Nebraska did dominate the west teams except Wisconsin and the teams Nebraska fans thought it would be competing with, not dominating were, in no particular order, tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan and PSU….to a lesser extent MSU. Guess what?? We were right. And no, the bigten in 2010 was not better than the Big12.

Reactions: leodisflowers

is it not the B10 teams obligation to fall apart when it counts...in march usually?

I personally hope Nebraska wins all its games and the literal worst things possible happen to every other team

It’s called being a fan
It’s funny how Iowa, Minnesota and purdue fans have a certain level of behavior they expect from Nebraska fans that they themselves don’t need to adhere to….hypocritical jacka$$e$….

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT