ADVERTISEMENT

Benning on the QBs

too early now, of course, but when do you need to have some semblance of a depth chart?

at some point you need to get your 2 top QBs more reps - probably by start of fall camp you need to start concentrating on getting your top 2 QBs ready for game day

Correction - maybe it isn’t too early

POB, TG and Martinez are all highly rated QBs that have the capacity to start for a D1 program at some point in their career. They all cannot start here. And Frost's plan is to recruit another scholarship QB next year and Vedral will be available for 3 years in 2019. Somebody is changing Zip codes. My money is on POB.

POB, TG and Martinez are all highly rated QBs that have the capacity to start for a D1 program at some point in their career. They all cannot start here. And Frost's plan is to recruit another scholarship QB next year and Vedral will be available for 3 years in 2019. Somebody is changing Zip codes. My money is on POB.

If it is him, I'll feel bad for him since he has already redshirted.

Correction - maybe it isn’t too early

A putative depth chart at QB is emerging. It won't be set in stone, but there will be a 1-2 or at least a 1a and 1b by end of Spring.
TG-presumptive favorite
Bunch-surprisingly in it
Martinez-green and probably still rounding into form from an injury, most upside of the group
POB-hardest to make a case for in the QB race, probably the square-est peg of the four for round hole that Frost wants in a QB

Reactions: huskerssalts
Before we go crazy with the speculation, I'd just point out that Sean Callahan reported that POB didn't interview because he had a class conflict (cf. the Husker Online Practice Report video from today).

But we all know how this goes. Since at least one person has planted a rumor about POB receiving less reps in practice (whether true or not), that is now grounds for speculation that he is on the outside looking-in for the QB competition, and so that is the real reason he did not interview (because he is upset or the coaches didn't let him).

And since that line of thinking is way more interesting than he simply had a class conflict, that will become the generally accepted reason in the weeks and months ahead. As well as grounds for thinking POB is going to transfer, has not fully bought-in to Frost and Co., is not a good teammate, etc.

If it is him, I'll feel bad for him since he has already redshirted.
A bummer for sure. But, if it is the case if he is behind TG and Bunch, and with Vedral available next year (along with Martinez who was recruited for this offense), he would be buried on the depth chart.

Maybe a college degree is more important to pob than anything, just ask the terminator if he thought he was going to play in 94. Just like Ben miles let things play out and not jump to conclusions remember these are young men some just out of school some very impressionable and just might read this forum and others. Until coach frost names a number 1 just enjoy the spring training

I think Bunch will start

Nah, it said in practice notes that Bunch is doing good for a walk on. That could mean anything but that’s not saying he’s killing like a player on a scholarship. My guess Gebbia starts, Bunch will be the back up and Martinez will red shirt to get his shoulder back to 100%. No clue what’s up with OBrein. Him being the only one not doing interviews shows he possibly annoyed or mad at himself or something like that and didn’t feel like dealing with the press.

I have a feeling it's a battle. I like the competition.

HCSF offense demands the ultimate dual-threat signal caller like Mariota.

GBR

Then why would it be a battle? Should be a one man race if he is looking for a Mariota clone.

Could be a different version.

Look how we are drifting to a 4-3 this year.

Frost will play the best guy. My point was, Mariota was damn good in the same system.

And don't be surprised if we modify to play the right system with the right guy. Frost is that good. GBR

Then why would it be a battle? Should be a one man race if he is looking for a Mariota clone.
Would be psyched if there is a Mariota clone among the group. Martinez was recruited by Frost, so I assume he was judged to have the potential to get things done Scott's way. Bunch's HS experience gives him some comfort in an Oregon offense. The other two signed on for an offense that is a parsec or two away from the one Frost wants to run.

Frost has stated that there are some core things in a QB like being able to get some yards on the run when they are available, in addition to rapid processing of information. The QB has to be able to throw the ball, but a cannon for an arm is not necessary. So a Mariota clone is not needed, but a guy who can get the ball to his skill talent most consistently will win the job.

Would be psyched if there is a Mariota clone among the group. Martinez was recruited by Frost, so I assume he was judged to have the potential to get things done Scott's way. Bunch's HS experience gives him some comfort in an Oregon offense. The other two signed on for an offense that is a parsec or two away from the one Frost wants to run.

Again, one guy is even close to Mariota in terms of physical attributes. The others are no where near that level in both running and passing abilities.

Could be a different version.

Look how we are drifting to a 4-3 this year.

Frost will play the best guy. My point was, Mariota was damn good in the same system.

And don't be surprised if we modify to play the right system with the right guy. Frost is that good. GBR

You said his offense “demands the ultimate dual threat signal caller like Mariota”. We only have one guy that is even close to that level. Yet, he is only spoken about when asked about, and is only 90% 15 months post surgery.

I agree and well-said, but Frost prefers a pass-first QB like Milton, with weapons all over the field, who can "tuck it" and run. GBR

Reactions: stonesak
Again, one guy is even close to Mariota in terms of physical attributes. The others are no where near that level in both running and passing abilities.

You said his offense “demands the ultimate dual threat signal caller like Mariota”. We only have one guy that is even close to that level. Yet, he is only spoken about when asked about, and is only 90% 15 months post surgery.

Yea "demands" was stupid Tuco. Good catch. I'm tired.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Frost has stated that there are some core things in a QB like being able to get some yards on the run when they are available, in addition to rapid processing of information. The QB has to be able to throw the ball, but a cannon for an arm is not necessary. So a Mariota clone is not needed, but a guy who can get the ball to his skill talent most consistently will win the job.

Strike 2. You guys are good.

Mariota was the ultimate weapon, and Milton was a mini-version. Frost also knows the Osborne triple option like clockwork. Lots of heavier sets.

I can't wait to see what he figures out to do, and schemes for this year. Can't wait. He will figure it out.

Strike 2. You guys are good.

Mariota was the ultimate weapon, and Milton was a mini-version. Frost also knows the Osborne triple option like clockwork. Lots of heavier sets.

I can't wait to see what he figures out to do, and schemes for this year. Can't wait. He will figure it out.

I’m doubting lots of heavier sets. That sort of goes against the philosophy of a spread option offense.

Frost also said Gebbia was fast but needs to get bigger and stronger.
A lot bigger and stronger. I don't see how he gets there in the next 4 months. He should spend the summer practicing his running slides because he will get killed taking on 230lb LBs.

If it did not come out of one of the coaches' mouths, then pay
no attention to it. If sports writers were so good at evaluating
players, they would not be sports writers.

Reminds me of Bob Knight on sportswriters.

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."

Reactions: RebelHusker
I’m doubting lots of heavier sets. That sort of goes against the philosophy of a spread option offense.

Jesus Christ. I shouldn't have said "lots." Meant he can scheme heavier sets. It's in the playbook.

I feel like I'm being interviewed for a job at Goldman Sachs, and am going straight to the "rejected" pile.

Immediately

GBR

Reactions: huskerj12
Not with our roster. We lack OLB.

Again, a Goldman interview definer of base sets. You will see a lot of 4-3 this year, IMO. We are stout.

You are making this way more complex than it is. They will have a 4 man front vs numerous sets and personnel, as do most/all 3-4 defenses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT