ADVERTISEMENT

Benning on the QBs

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Said Vedral and Bunch are the two QBs who can best operate Frost's offense at present, with the others still "coming along". Vedral is not a surprise, but cannot play this season. I, along with many on the board, have been on the TG bandwagon. Could it be Bunch?

I would expect players with multiple years of playing in a similar system to be further along after 7 practices. That is like teaching a 4th grader 5th grade math vs teaching a 2nd grader 5th grade math. In the beginning, the 4th grader will be able to understand the concepts because they have experience, that doesn’t mean the 2nd grader isn’t or won’t be the better math student after the first quarter or semester.

I don't know why these writers and sports talk guys keep wasting their time telling us about how Vedral looks the best in this offense. Well no crap, it's his second year in the system and he can't play so talk to us about the ones who can..

Reactions: steelclaw
I don't know why these writers and sports talk guys keep wasting their time telling us about how Vedral looks the best in this offense. Well no crap, it's his second year in the system and he can't play so talk to us about the ones who can..
If it did not come out of one of the coaches' mouths, then pay
no attention to it. If sports writers were so good at evaluating
players, they would not be sports writers.

If it did not come out of one of the coaches' mouths, then pay
no attention to it. If sports writers were so good at evaluating
players, they would not be sports writers.

Benning has only seen 2 practices, all the others he is on 1620 radio, so let’s wait for Verduzco opinion on the QB situation.

This is what happens when those guys don't get to see practice...I totally get it and I understand why Frost has it set up that way but I (like all of us) would rather have more access and more information...Oh well, not the end of the world!

Said Vedral and Bunch are the two QBs who can best operate Frost's offense at present, with the others still "coming along". Vedral is not a surprise, but cannot play this season. I, along with many on the board, have been on the TG bandwagon. Could it be Bunch?
It most likely won't be decided until the second half of Fall practice. AND I'd take any judgments made by the media with a HUGE grain of salt. They don't have access to the practices like they used to have under Riley. Even the media who are former players.

That said, may the best man for the job become the starter - whoever that might be.

Reactions: scarletred
too early now, of course, but when do you need to have some semblance of a depth chart?

at some point you need to get your 2 top QBs more reps - probably by start of fall camp you need to start concentrating on getting your top 2 QBs ready for game day

Reactions: huskerj12
too early now, of course, but when do you need to have some semblance of a depth chart?

at some point you need to get your 2 top QBs more reps - probably by start of fall camp you need to start concentrating on getting your top 2 QBs ready for game day
You are correct! However, "we" do not need to know every decision
Coach Frost makes before it is announced. Coach Frost has slammed the door on media-types that profess to know more than him. Thank goodness!

You are correct! However, "we" do not need to know every decision
Coach Frost makes before it is announced. Coach Frost has slammed the door on media-types that profess to know more than him. Thank goodness!

No arguments from me. I don’t expect open access

Reactions: ZaneHickey
It most likely won't be decided until the second half of Fall practice. AND I'd take any judgments made by the media with a HUGE grain of salt. They don't have access to the practices like they used to have under Riley. Even the media who are former players.

That said, may the best man for the job become the starter - whoever that might be.

Why would post such a silly thing? You know the coaches are choosing a starter sometime this week, or at latest, sometime early next week.

As the process plays out for the QBs this Spring, I think one is going to realize that the offense isn't a fit for them.

Reactions: huskerfan66
It's relevant because it shows the level of progression made by the others.

POB was basically shown the door today. POB didn't get any reps from what I've heard.

dang, so much for wishfull thinking. Frost also said Gebbia was fast but needs to get bigger and stronger. Looks like Martinez as true freshman.
The only QB I've heard consistently positive comments about from Frost has been Bunch. Granted that's just been I think 2 or 3 mentions, but he's been a pleasant surprise for them....not so much of a surprise for me. Watching him in the spring game last year in hindsight I thought he would be a great fit for Frost's offense. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Bunch start the home opener. JMHO without seeing a single practice.o_O

The only QB I've heard consistently positive comments about from Frost has been Bunch. Granted that's just been I think 2 or 3 mentions, but he's been a pleasant surprise for them....not so much of a surprise for me. Watching him in the spring game last year in hindsight I thought he would be a great fit for Frost's offense. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Bunch start the home opener. JMHO without seeing a single practice.o_O

strange, Bunch ran a 4.94 40 yard dash for HS recruiting. Which was fast enough for Riley.

strange, Bunch ran a 4.94 40 yard dash for HS recruiting. Which was fast enough for Riley.
I don't really care what they show for a high school 40 time. Roy Helu was listed at 4.7 coming out of high school. Bunch has very good speed and escapability for a QB. He may be the quickest QB on the roster.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
I think it likely will play out like it did at UCF. Unless someone gets hurt, Martinez is the chosen one (similar to Milton). But Gebbia will likely start the season until Martinez is ready to take over and his arm strength is fully back (probably mid season). Just my guess, no inside info. POB will transfer out sometime before next Fall and therefore not be a factor.

As I have been saying for months, a graduate transfer is almost certainly going to occur.

I think it's best to just watch the press conference. Listen to what the coach says, and also what he doesn't say. Look at what he brings up without being asked. Look at the order in which he addresses the players. There is inherent psychology in those things. It doesn't mean everything, but that's called reading the tea leaves, and it isn't so difficult

I was super impressed with Adrian Martinez's interview. I have come to expect boring, player-speak type answers (which is totally how players should play it), but I thought he provided insight, showed an ability to think on his feet, and really seemed comfortable in the spotlight. And this is a kid that should be finishing up high school right now.

Reactions: jeans15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT