ADVERTISEMENT

Benning and Severe

It's too early to discount Smothers as a passer. Crouch was not a very good passer when he took over the reins at QB, but developed into one. Smothers is a little bigger than Crouch and probably just as fast. You've got to give him the back-up role for AM at this time just to see how he performs in game action. He's too talented a runner not to, and he knows the offense better than HH. To pass over him, without giving him a chance, would sour his feelings about being here and cause him to move on.
Also, there's no QB in the portal that would necessarily be an upgrade over Smothers when you consider familiarity with the offense. This year LS should be second on the depth chart starting the season and the first to take over in a game if AM goes down.

Didn't Crouch have more INT's than TD's when he won the Heisman?? Never considered him much of a passer personally and todays game dictates you have to be able to throw it around a bit.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I've already mentioned that I like Haarberg but Smothers has many similarities as Milton did at UCF. In fact he's even a better runner. Not quite the thrower but not far off at this point. Game situations matter more than throwing to open WRs running half ass routes in practice. He makes quick decisions which is being overlooked compared to AM who takes forever.
Good point hope your right. Until the game is real and live and fast no one knows. Milton is one of kind real time decision maker with accuracy. Milton made Frost big bucks.

It's funny how things can change in just a few months, lol.

I'm hanging my hopes on a quarterback that we will get from the transfer portal that everyone agrees is the next Dan Marino for 2 weeks. Then he'll be crap and the future will be in some high school senior that might sign next February.
I will remind you that Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield and Russell Wilson were all transfer QBs. It does work out sometimes.

Also, there's no QB in the portal that would necessarily be an upgrade over Smothers when you consider familiarity with the offense. This year LS should be second on the depth chart starting the season and the first to take over in a game if AM goes down.

I'm not worrying bout a transfer QB being better than Smothers, I need him to be better than Martinez.....

I think it's important for us to not be married to Smothers' star ranking. I'll say this, if Haarberg's was a 4/5 star freshman from TX or CA and was throwing those same balls at practice the beat writers and huskers boards would be going nuts right now. The fact of the matter is he looked better than Smothers and on paper...he shouldn't have looked better. Still very early but I don't think thats a good look for Smothers that a 3 star kid from Nebraska looks way better than him in just his first couple months on campus. Hopefully this sparks the competitors in both of them and they both get better.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I think it's important for us to not be married to Smothers' star ranking. I'll say this, if Haarberg's was a 4/5 star freshman from TX or CA and was throwing those same balls at practice the beat writers and huskers boards would be going nuts right now. The fact of the matter is he looked better than Smothers and on paper...he shouldn't have looked better. Still very early but I don't think thats a good look for Smothers that a 3 star kid from Nebraska looks way better than him in just his first couple months on campus. Hopefully this sparks the competitors in both of them and they both get better.
Once they get to campus and start training together, the 'stars' mean less and less to me. From that point on, it's about development and competing. Some guys have huge ceilings. Other guys peak early. Athleticism in HS against so-so competition does not always translate to great things in college.

It's too early to discount Smothers as a passer. Crouch was not a very good passer when he took over the reins at QB, but developed into one. Smothers is a little bigger than Crouch and probably just as fast. You've got to give him the back-up role for AM at this time just to see how he performs in game action. He's too talented a runner not to, and he knows the offense better than HH. To pass over him, without giving him a chance, would sour his feelings about being here and cause him to move on.
Eric Crouch was a 51% passer on 606 career attempts, averaged about 1000 yards passing a season, had 29 TD and 25 Int for his career. He didn't develop into a passer, which is he was drafted as a WR.

Haarberg is never going to be a sub 11 sec 100 m guy. Smothers doesn’t have to throw a better ball than Haarberg, but he has to be able to operate the passing plays in the playbook. Frost’s offense operates with the QB involved in the run game to some degree, not just scrambling to an open lane.

As the conductor of the Logan Smothers Hype Train I am not happy that he seems to be struggling, HOWEVER let me say this:

I think the stuff they've given media access to lately has been very "pure passing" oriented. I don't think anyone has accused him of being a pure passer as 6-foot-nothing and fast as hell. So he might be doing better overall than just what shows when they're chucking crowd-pleaser-deep-ball time in practice.

I will keep right on beating my drum that the NU QB1 should be logging 20-25 attempts per game. If Smothers is a smart decision maker there is a world where he could be the best QB1 for the offense even if he's not the best thrower. That was McCaffrey's issue, he was making atrocious decisions in addition to having mediocre-to-poor arm talent.

I really don't know what Frost and Verdu's mindset is any more with their QB decisions to prognosticate who your late 2021 or 2022 starter is. I think Adrian's feet and potential got him the starting job in 2018 even though mayyyybe Gebbia was ahead in that competition if that's just an objectively measured QB battle.

But now the noise you hear is that we're all about arm talent even though Smothers is definitely the fastest and most dangerous runners of the QBs. So who knows, it will be Martinez to start the year but it's going to matter who the QB2 is because that guy has needed to start multiple games lately.

Haarberg is never going to be a sub 11 sec 100 m guy. Smothers doesn’t have to throw a better ball than Haarberg, but he has to be able to operate the passing plays in the playbook. Frost’s offense operates with the QB involved in the run game to some degree, not just scrambling to an open lane.
Haarberg did run a 11.1 sec 100 meters as a 10th grader. I think there is a good chance he could have gone sub 11 secs if he would have had a junior track season.

Reactions: Dharry
Frost was a horrible passer that benefited tremendously from an insane run game and Tom's play calling. Ditto that for Frazier. I have no doubt that Frost thinks if we can get our run game rolling that a marginal passer who can smoke a D with his feet will be more than adequate for his offense. It's pretty pathetic the way this board tears young QBs apart. I've said all along though that we need another scholarship worthy QB on the roster. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Masker getting some playing time, but our QB room needs another D-1 QB.
Totally agree... but isn’t the real issue that in the transfer portal era it’s incredibly difficult to convince that many QBs to stick around on your roster?

As the conductor of the Logan Smothers Hype Train I am not happy that he seems to be struggling, HOWEVER let me say this:

I think the stuff they've given media access to lately has been very "pure passing" oriented. I don't think anyone has accused him of being a pure passer as 6-foot-nothing and fast as hell. So he might be doing better overall than just what shows when they're chucking crowd-pleaser-deep-ball time in practice.

I will keep right on beating my drum that the NU QB1 should be logging 20-25 attempts per game. If Smothers is a smart decision maker there is a world where he could be the best QB1 for the offense even if he's not the best thrower. That was McCaffrey's issue, he was making atrocious decisions in addition to having mediocre-to-poor arm talent.

I really don't know what Frost and Verdu's mindset is any more with their QB decisions to prognosticate who your late 2021 or 2022 starter is. I think Adrian's feet and potential got him the starting job in 2018 even though mayyyybe Gebbia was ahead in that competition if that's just an objectively measured QB battle.

But now the noise you hear is that we're all about arm talent even though Smothers is definitely the fastest and most dangerous runners of the QBs. So who knows, it will be Martinez to start the year but it's going to matter who the QB2 is because that guy has needed to start multiple games lately.
I feel like in 2018 AM was named QB1, yes due to is legs, but also because frost was playing the long game that year one was gonna be ugly no matter what and getting AM all that game exp would pay off in years 2-4. Hopefully his gamble pays off this year

I used to hang on every word out of Benning's mouth. He's been so wrong on so many things over the past 10 years that I kind of quit putting much stock in his takes. I LOVE listening to break down game tape but his opinion on QBs, RBs etc doesn't mean much to me anymore.
My question is how can you really tell what Benning actually thinks? Benning hints around a lot and goes back and forth with double talk. He doesn't have a strong take until after the smoke has cleared.

My question is how can you really tell what Benning actually thinks? Benning hints around a lot and goes back and forth with double talk. He doesn't have a strong take until after the smoke has cleared.
I haven't listened to him for at least a year. 1620 used to come in where I'm at and it doesn't now. Several years ago he was more apt to make bold pronouncements about players and he got burned. I have listened to a podcast or two of his over the last year or so when somebody posted about something he had said on the radio. I used to listen to him a lot several years ago when I could get him on my truck radio.

Totally agree... but isn’t the real issue that in the transfer portal era it’s incredibly difficult to convince that many QBs to stick around on your roster?
It doesn't help in one way. In another way though we COULD potentially benefit from it by landing a guy like Fields some day. We have to demonstrate some success at developing a QB though before we'll land guys like that IMO. Kind of a Catch22.

I will remind you that Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield and Russell Wilson were all transfer QBs. It does work out sometimes.

I’ll remind you that none of those guys transferred to schools that were conference bottom feeders

But he is right. They also didn't go to schools where there was a three year returner as QB1.
jlb didn't make that point. At SOME point in the near future we won't have a 3 year returner at QB. Several B1G schools have taken transfers who have beaten out returning starters at QB. Wisconsin wasn't exactly a national title contender when Wilson transferred there either. I think OU has some very highly ranked QB recruits when Mayfield transferred there.

Reactions: RedLegion
jlb didn't make that point. At SOME point in the near future we won't have a 3 year returner at QB. Several B1G schools have taken transfers who have beaten out returning starters at QB. Wisconsin wasn't exactly a national title contender when Wilson transferred there either.
You also gave him a very limited list of Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield and Russell Wilson. Which of those players went to "conference bottom feeders"?

You also gave him a very limited list of Justin Fields, Baker Mayfield and Russell Wilson. Which of those players went to "conference bottom feeders"?
I'm sorry but I think Nebraska's status is a temporary situation. JLB is rooting that it is permanent. IF you read my post, you will note that I was saying that AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, Nebraska MIGHT benefit from a transfer QB like Fields etal. I don't expect it to happen this year. Hell IF Martinez should suffer a serious injury this spring or over the summer, it could happen as early as next fall.

I'm sorry but I think Nebraska's status is a temporary situation. JLB is rooting that it is permanent. IF you read my post, you will note that I was saying that AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE, Nebraska MIGHT benefit from a transfer QB like Fields etal. I don't expect it to happen this year. Hell IF Martinez should suffer a serious injury this spring or over the summer, it could happen as early as next fall.
Maybe, I don't know that he is rooting for anything. I think he just has opinions and takes that question blind loyalty. Some don't like his opinions because he make us honestly answer questions that are based on something other than optimism or because we are Nebraska.

Maybe, I don't know that he is rooting for anything. I think he just has opinions and takes that question blind loyalty. Some don't like his opinions because he make us honestly answer questions that are based on something other than optimism or because we are Nebraska.
Geezus. Go read all of his posting history. He's a troll who has only one take and that is to point out things that put Nebraska in a negative light. He has admitted to being a fan of another B1G team.

I'm not worrying bout a transfer QB being better than Smothers, I need him to be better than Martinez.....
YES!!!

Nebraska needs the starting QB to be SOOOO much better than the starting QB last year, because the starting QB last year was dogsh!t!

Geezus. Go read all of his posting history. He's a troll who has only one take and that is to point out things that put Nebraska in a negative light. He has admitted to being a fan of another B1G team.
I read all of his posts, many of which I agree with, and I am a Husker fan. Like I said, he makes you question stuff. Most of which has been ingrained in our brains as youngsters. I would ask you to read his posts with an open mind and not read them as some sort of attack on your fandom or him being a troll.

I read all of his posts, many of which I agree with, and I am a Husker fan. Like I said, he makes you question stuff. Most of which has been ingrained in our brains as youngsters. I would ask you to read his posts with an open mind and not read them as some sort of attack on your fandom or him being a troll.
I have a long history with this pos and all he wants to do is stir the pot and pit Husker fans against each other.

I have a long history with this pos and all he wants to do is stir the pot and pit Husker fans against each other.
Only because you let him pit Husker fans against each other. Tell me what he wrote in this thread, or any other, that is factually inaccurate. Please do so without including some sort of story about a family member, friend of the family or someone you once knew who was involved in a similar situation.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Only because you let him pit Husker fans against each other. Tell me what he wrote in this thread, or any other, that is factually inaccurate. Please do so without including some sort of story about a family member, friend of the family or someone you once knew who was involved in a similar situation.
The FACT that I have a family member who tried these kinds of cases for several decades and the fact that I've spoken to him about how prosecuting them works is relevant to me being able to discuss this topic. You don't have to read it if you don't like it. You assume guilt because the case was taken to court. Hell the prosecutor might not have even thought the guys were guilty of the charges.

I had assumed that the Nebraska AG's office tried the case but in fact it was the Lancaster County Attorney who did. I'm a little surprised by that but I'm sure that the Lancaster County Attorney has sufficient staff and expertise to try a case like this.

Last edited:
The FACT that I have a family member who tried these kinds of cases for several decades and the fact that I've spoken to him about how prosecuting them works is relevant to me being able to discuss this topic. You don't have to read it if you don't like it. You assume guilt because the case was taken to court. Hell the prosecutor might not have even thought the guys were guilty of the charges.

I had assumed that the Nebraska AG's office tried the case but in fact it was the Lancaster County Attorney who did. I'm a little surprised by that but I'm sure that the Lancaster County Attorney has sufficient staff and expertise to try a case like this.
wrong thread. your name dropping belonged in the Legrone thread

wrong thread. your name dropping belonged in the Legrone thread
YOU in FACT stated IN THIS Fing thread "please do so without a story about a family member, friend of the family or someone you once knew". You're on a roll tonight Tuco. YOU were the one who mixed up the threads amigo.

YOU in FACT stated IN THIS Fing thread "please do so without a story about a family member, friend of the family or someone you once knew". You're on a roll tonight Tuco. YOU were the one who mixed up the threads amigo.
No, I am acutely aware of what I posted and where I posted.

You stated that @jlb321 is a troll and just wants to pit Husker fan against Husker fan. I asked you to share with me what @jlb321 wrote in this thread or any other that was factually inaccurate. I then asked you to do so without name dropping, or including a family member or friend of the family to add some sort of supposed credibility to your post, as you are prone to do.

No, I am acutely aware of what I posted and where I posted.

You stated that @jlb321 is a troll and just wants to pit Husker fan against Husker fan. I asked you to share with me what @jlb321 wrote in this thread or any other that was factually inaccurate. I then asked you to do so without name dropping, or including a family member or friend of the family to add some sort of supposed credibility to your post, as you are prone to do.

When are you going to realize that jlb is a troll and quit always defending him.

When are you going to realize that jlb is a troll and quit always defending him.
I will ask you , like I did @dinglefritz , what has he written that was/ is factually inaccurate?

You not liking what he writes doesn't count as inaccurate. Troll or not, I don't care. He, rarely if ever, posts stuff that is out right false. Hell, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything he posts that could have been construed as an opinion.

I will ask you , like I did @dinglefritz , what has he written that was/ is factually inaccurate?

You not liking what he writes doesn't count as inaccurate. Troll or not, I don't care. He, rarely if ever, posts stuff that is out right false. Hell, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything he posts that could have been construed as an opinion.

You can write all the negative stuff you want fact or no fact, but his main objective is to stir the $&it towards Husker fans on this board are you too 😎seeing this very fact?

You can write all the negative stuff you want fact or no fact, but his main objective is to stir the $&it towards Husker fans on this board are you too 😎seeing this very fact?
Again, does the stuff he writes on this message board upset you because it is factually inaccurate or does it piss you off because it is actually very much accurate and you hate that what he writes is so accurate?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT