ADVERTISEMENT

Benning and Severe

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
just listened to their show today and they were not very complimentary about Smothers. And they think Masker would be QB2 if the season started today. Just curious was this a common feeling from anyone there watching? Or did other media types express a similar POV?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
just listened to their show today and they were not very complimentary about Smothers. And they think Masker would be QB2 if the season started today. Just curious was this a common feeling from anyone there watching? Or did other media types express a similar POV?
Everyone I’ve heard in the media that saw that 30 minutes of practice a week or two ago and then the practice on Saturday said Smothers is no bueno at throwing the ball.
I stated last season when people started clamoring for Smothers, that if you watch his film he’s not a good passer. I was told I’m an idiot and that every big name school in the country was clamoring for him.

Everyone seems very impressed with Haarberg’s arm though. Everything I’ve heard is that he just needs to learn the offense and he’d be a potential #2 QB.

Everyone I’ve heard in the media that saw that 30 minutes of practice a week or two ago and then the practice on Saturday said Smothers is no bueno at throwing the ball.
I stated last season when people started clamoring for Smothers, that if you watch his film he’s not a good passer. I was told I’m an idiot and that every big name school in the country was clamoring for him.

Everyone seems very impressed with Haarberg’s arm though. Everything I’ve heard is that he just needs to learn the offense and he’d be a potential #2 QB.
Only as a casual glance observer from the videos released, Haarberg’s stroke looks better to me also. We’ll see what happens.
A true frosh backup is not typically ideal, esp. with a QB run first offense.

@Wyldcard would disagree. He saw Smothers play in HS and said that he will be the future of Nebraska football.

Last edited:
I was at the practice and it's hard to argue with Severe and Benning. Smothers struggled throwing the ball. He doesn't have a strong arm. After seeing the practice, it makes sense to me why the coaches have hinted at taking a transfer quarterback after spring ball. That should have been a red flag to all of us. If the coaches knew Smothers would be a serviceable back up, they wouldn't have been thinking about picking up a transfer.

On a positive note, HH looked very good. He's big, quick, and has a cannon for an arm. He isn't a finished product, but I was pleasantly surprised by what he showed. He looked like a future star, but I'm not sure he's ready to be the top backup yet.

Masker looked okay, but he didn't blow me away. From what I saw, I expect Nebraska to take a transfer quarterback if they can find one with experience and that fits they system.

Not sure why anyone would care what Severe or Benning have to say neither knows squat about squat.

It's funny how things can change in just a few months, lol.

I'm hanging my hopes on a quarterback that we will get from the transfer portal that everyone agrees is the next Dan Marino for 2 weeks. Then he'll be crap and the future will be in some high school senior that might sign next February.

Why do we keep recruiting QB's that are missing 50% of the skillz required to do the job?

Makes me wonder how does Verduzco evaluate high school QB’s.. Not counting Martinez..

McCaffery- only had one year of starting at QB but athletic and fast.
Smother- Very fast one of the top sprinters in Alabama.
Harrburg- best available after first option turn Nebraska down to go to Utah..

Makes me wonder how does Verduzco evaluate high school QB’s.. Not counting Martinez..

McCaffery- only had one year of starting at QB but athletic and fast.
Smother- Very fast one of the top sprinters in Alabama.
Harrburg- best available after first option turn Nebraska down to go to Utah..

I'll admit this is just a guess, but I think all these QBs are Frost's picks.

I wouldn't let my future ride on Verduzco's "expertise"

I'll admit this is just a guess, but I think all these QBs are Frost's picks.

I wouldn't let my future ride on Verduzco's "expertise"
Wouldn’t you think that is Verduzo’s top priority is recruiting and evaluating high school QB’s..

SF most likely has to check off on the individual their going after but what is the sense of having a QB coach when he is involved during games?

Wouldn’t you think that is Verduzo’s top priority is recruiting and evaluating high school QB’s..

SF most likely has to check off on the individual their going after but what is the sense of having a QB coach when he is involved during games?

I agree and disagree - My comment is based in nothing but a guess.
If there was 1 thing I would micromanage as a HC - it would be the quarterback recruiting. (I guess that's why i'm not a coach)

Reactions: stucknks
I've already mentioned that I like Haarberg but Smothers has many similarities as Milton did at UCF. In fact he's even a better runner. Not quite the thrower but not far off at this point. Game situations matter more than throwing to open WRs running half ass routes in practice. He makes quick decisions which is being overlooked compared to AM who takes forever.

I've already mentioned that I like Haarberg but Smothers has many similarities as Milton did at UCF. In fact he's even a better runner. Not quite the thrower but not far off at this point. Game situations matter more than throwing to open WRs running half ass routes in practice. He makes quick decisions which is being overlooked compared to AM who takes forever.
Guess we’ll see in a few weeks

I heard Dawson and Fisher made comments about former HS QB Cam Taylor Britt still being able to sling it. Then Fisher mentioned he’s just trying to focus on teaching him defense.
I kid, but maybe CTB needs to get a look back there?

The transfer option could be there after spring, but hard to bring someone in that late to have them be ready.
The transfer options seemed more viable at season’s end.

I’m not discounting Smothers yet, but if he’s not making a splash already, then I’d say odds are not in his favor.

Already comparing Smothers to Milton and he hasn't played a single snap in a game? Amazing

Not sure why anyone would care what Severe or Benning have to say neither knows squat about squat.
I used to hang on every word out of Benning's mouth. He's been so wrong on so many things over the past 10 years that I kind of quit putting much stock in his takes. I LOVE listening to break down game tape but his opinion on QBs, RBs etc doesn't mean much to me anymore.

We shouldn’t be giving up on any of our Freshman QB‘s, but only having 4 QB is a concern SF needs to get a transfer portal QB after the spring..
Frost was a horrible passer that benefited tremendously from an insane run game and Tom's play calling. Ditto that for Frazier. I have no doubt that Frost thinks if we can get our run game rolling that a marginal passer who can smoke a D with his feet will be more than adequate for his offense. It's pretty pathetic the way this board tears young QBs apart. I've said all along though that we need another scholarship worthy QB on the roster. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Masker getting some playing time, but our QB room needs another D-1 QB.

Frost was a horrible passer that benefited tremendously from an insane run game and Tom's play calling. Ditto that for Frazier. I have no doubt that Frost thinks if we can get our run game rolling that a marginal passer who can smoke a D with his feet will be more than adequate for his offense. It's pretty pathetic the way this board tears young QBs apart. I've said all along though that we need another scholarship worthy QB on the roster. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Masker getting some playing time, but our QB room needs another D-1 QB.
I’ve said before half of the Big Ten defenses are in the top 50 in rushing defense, 3 of the top 10. You have to be able to throw the ball in order to win this division and league. Getting a marginal quarterback that can make routine throws isn’t the key.

I heard Dawson and Fisher made comments about former HS QB Cam Taylor Britt still being able to sling it. Then Fisher mentioned he’s just trying to focus on teaching him defense.
I kid, but maybe CTB needs to get a look back there?

The transfer option could be there after spring, but hard to bring someone in that late to have them be ready.
The transfer options seemed more viable at season’s end.

I’m not discounting Smothers yet, but if he’s not making a splash already, then I’d say odds are not in his favor.

I bet he will get some snaps at QB to switch things up in the Wildcat.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Unless Cam can do some special thing special in the Wildcat, I doubt they will risk playing him there.

I was at the practice and it's hard to argue with Severe and Benning. Smothers struggled throwing the ball. He doesn't have a strong arm. After seeing the practice, it makes sense to me why the coaches have hinted at taking a transfer quarterback after spring ball. That should have been a red flag to all of us. If the coaches knew Smothers would be a serviceable back up, they wouldn't have been thinking about picking up a transfer.

On a positive note, HH looked very good. He's big, quick, and has a cannon for an arm. He isn't a finished product, but I was pleasantly surprised by what he showed. He looked like a future star, but I'm not sure he's ready to be the top backup yet.

Masker looked okay, but he didn't blow me away. From what I saw, I expect Nebraska to take a transfer quarterback if they can find one with experience and that fits they system.
It's too early to discount Smothers as a passer. Crouch was not a very good passer when he took over the reins at QB, but developed into one. Smothers is a little bigger than Crouch and probably just as fast. You've got to give him the back-up role for AM at this time just to see how he performs in game action. He's too talented a runner not to, and he knows the offense better than HH. To pass over him, without giving him a chance, would sour his feelings about being here and cause him to move on.
Also, there's no QB in the portal that would necessarily be an upgrade over Smothers when you consider familiarity with the offense. This year LS should be second on the depth chart starting the season and the first to take over in a game if AM goes down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT