ADVERTISEMENT

Benhart, Corcoran and now Prochazka

Larry Hagman's Liver

Defensive Coordinator
Nov 18, 2004
In Transit
Prochazka's commit seems to have gotten lost somewhat in the macabre that followed last night, but what a huge get in every kind of way. Nationally ranked (#55) player at a major position of need and a critical in-state recruit.

That's three years in a row that we've landed a truly elite O-lineman. Skill position guys get the splash headlines but everything starts up front. More guys like these and the Polar Bear please. More transfers like Darrion Daniels and Jahkeem Green too.

Recruiting isn't the only issue. Lots of other things to work on and fix too but I'll leave that dissection to other threads. Just think we should celebrate the good news as it comes. And this was very good news for the third year in a row.

Teddy Prochazka 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 282 lbs
National Rank: 55th

Turner Corcoran 4* (6.0)
6'6'' | 270 lbs

Bryce Benhart 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 301 lbs
National Rank: 139th

Prochazka's commit seems to have gotten lost somewhat in the macabre that followed last night, but what a huge get in every kind of way. Nationally ranked (#55) player at a major position of need and a critical in-state recruit.

That's three years in a row that we've landed a truly elite O-lineman. Skill position guys get the splash headlines but everything starts up front. More guys like these and the Polar Bear please. More transfers like Darrion Daniels and Jahkeem Green too.

Recruiting isn't the only issue. Lots of other things to work on and fix too but I'll leave that dissection to other threads. Just think we should celebrate the good news as it comes. And this was very good news for the third year in a row.

Teddy Prochazka 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 282 lbs

Turner Corcoran 4* (6.0)
6'6'' | 270 lbs

Bryce Benhart 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 301 lbs
When you have to start a freshman center who has never played the position before AND you have to start a walk on soph at guard....well, you're not in a very good place. Frost and Austin are fixing it. It's going to take more than 2 years to fix the mess that Riley and Cavanaugh left us on our O line.

It will be interesting to see who eventually moves inside. We have landed a bunch of OT types the last year or so. Teddy P, Corcoran, Benhart, Anderson, Fritzche (sp?).

Conn, Lynn, Banks (who was a Dawson pick for DL), Piper move inside with Cam---Bando MAY move back inside as well...W Farniok, Sichterman and Hixson stay inside if course

The players you listed will stay at OT for a 2-deep plus 1 IMO

Unfortunately, in regards to our line I fear we're going to need alot more than what we've been recruiting. This is going to be at least a 4-5 year process and that's only to fix talent which has nothing to do with coaching which I'm still not completely convinced doesn't have it's own issues.

It will be interesting to see who eventually moves inside. We have landed a bunch of OT types the last year or so. Teddy P, Corcoran, Benhart, Anderson, Fritzche (sp?).
Look at OSU's starting 5. They all looked like NFL tackles to me. They were huge. Our OGs and Center have to be able to run to play in Frost's offense. We're a little short on quickness right now at RT and one guard spot.

Conn, Lynn, Banks (who was a Dawson pick for DL), Piper move inside with Cam---Bando MAY move back inside as well...W Farniok, Sichterman and Hixson stay inside if course

The players you listed will stay at OT for a 2-deep plus 1 IMO
Could be, but if three of those guys end up being too good not to play and the guys inside aren’t as talented or developed or whatever, someone would probably move inside.

Could be, but if three of those guys end up being too good not to play and the guys inside aren’t as talented or developed or whatever, someone would probably move inside.
I could see a couple of guys who start this year, not playing nearly as many minutes next year. There's going to be competition for a couple of spots.

Teddy Prochazka 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 282 lbs

Turner Corcoran 4* (6.0)
6'6'' | 270 lbs

Bryce Benhart 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 301 lbs

You sir, speak the truth.

Possibly, but I think you will see that group if OTs stay long and leaner for quicker footwork (when this offense gets clicking Frost likes to pull his tackles and even his center)

How many of them can play defensive line? Or are we still just planning on trying to get every game in to the 40’s?

How many of them can play defensive line? Or are we still just planning on trying to get every game in to the 40’s?
Our D line wasn't our problem last night. Our backers didn't look great. I don't know what they're plan is for our D line BUT I really like what we recruited there this last cycle. We got a couple of studs. Look at what Frost left UCF when he left. They're loaded with talent for that level of a program. I trust he'll build a similar roster at NU.

J Green (Juco) and Big Bro Daniels as a transfer

Green will RS...keep an eye out for his old Highland teammate Travis Geiger as a Juco for this year

I didn’t account for Green because he was a transfer...

He played in 4thQ last night so he can play in 3 more games..

Reactions: TheBeav815
Our D line wasn't our problem last night. Our backers didn't look great. I don't know what they're plan is for our D line BUT I really like what we recruited there this last cycle. We got a couple of studs. Look at what Frost left UCF when he left. They're loaded with talent for that level of a program. I trust he'll build a similar roster at NU.

I don’t think it was an issue last night. But it will surely be used as an excuse next year when the twins and Darrion Daniels are gone.

Teddy Prochazka 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 282 lbs

Turner Corcoran 4* (6.0)
6'6'' | 270 lbs

Bryce Benhart 4* (5.9)
6'9'' | 301 lbs

And I hope people remember that OL is probably the position that you have to wait the longest for them to develop and be ready to play.

I don’t think it was an issue last night. But it will surely be used as an excuse next year when the twins and Darrion Daniels are gone.
There is not question that our roster was a mess when Frost took over. It's going to take a couple of years to get the roster distribution and quality rebuilt. The O line is just a mess. There's no way we can hang with teams like OSU while being forced to play some of the guys we're playing on the O line right now. Yes a walk on can start but not as a soph. Freshman center who's never played center before? Franiok is just a guy as a tackle. It's going to take time to recover from Riley, Cav and Hank Hughes. We've got a ginormous hole in our recruiting of linemen that is getting filled but those kids will be a couple of years away.

IF we could get better linebacker play to go with them, I think we might be okay. Green is a stud. Damion Daniels will still be here. We've got some kids that look good at DE. We'll be young.

The D-line may not have been the major problem against the Bucks offense, but for the most part, they did nothing when it mattered.

Reactions: huskerfan66
The D-line may not have been the major problem against the Bucks offense, but for the most part, they did nothing when it mattered.
OSU was able to double team where they wanted on our D line because we wasted on backer spying Fields much of the game and then we made lots of bad reads. I noticed Barry himself completely out of multiple plays with bad fits. OSU had too many weapons and Day attacked our weaknesses mercilessly. Even on some of the pass plays they hit we had very good coverage and their WRs made plays on perfectly thrown balls. Our only hope was to get some breaks and then play clean on offense with some big plays of our own. Opposite.

It's all about athletes and speed, speed, speed at every single position on the field. Of course the lack of athleticism is most noticable on the OL. I think we have some really good talent developing within the program as well as committed now. It would also help to have QBs that are not turnover machines. Seems like that problem has been around NU for decades!

Stille, Damian Daniels, and Thomas play just shy of the snaps the starters get..behind them are Rogers Green and Robinson coming along (Tate has had the injury bug but still plenty of time plus Newsom from last year's class at DE) so I feel comfortable with the direction the DL is heading, plus Hutmacher at NT

Couldn't agree more. This will start changing everything. Keep it going. Watching Farniok getting owned on almost every down made me sick.
Honestly, would our line be any worse if they went ahead and moved Farniok to guard and then let someone like Benhart or Bando play tackle? I’m at a loss for words on how bad this line is.

Honda’s is average at best as is Barry. Davis and tanner are below average. Miller is decent. No real playmakers.

It's all about athletes and speed, speed, speed at every single position on the field. Of course the lack of athleticism is most noticable on the OL. I think we have some really good talent developing within the program as well as committed now. It would also help to have QBs that are not turnover machines. Seems like that problem has been around NU for decades!

I think that's mostly because our qbs like AMart & TMart were/are essentially almost one man teams. Neither had even remotely the OLines that were annually excellent under TO.

The only issue worse than the o line was the d line last night. They got pushed around and mauled most of the night

Unfortunately, in regards to our line I fear we're going to need alot more than what we've been recruiting. This is going to be at least a 4-5 year process and that's only to fix talent which has nothing to do with coaching which I'm still not completely convinced doesn't have it's own issues.

The process concerns the next game. Not 4-5 years down the road. You could very well say the same thing ... 4-5 years from now.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT