ADVERTISEMENT

Bench Teddy Allen?

Riled Up

Walk On
Oct 13, 2019
I feel like the offense flows better when he is off the court. Granted our offense never has much flow. Maybe it is time to put in a real ball handler who we go to when in a scoring slump to set up an offense.

Have to admit, I've thought the same thing....at the end of the game, he has 25 points, but does he have any assists? And we lose by 20? I know he has turnovers like mad (please please please don't dribble in the paint, usually results in a fast break the other way) and he doesn't really seem to make his teammates better. To be fair, the team has so many other issues, I can't put it all on Teddy, but I don't know how good we can really be if he is allowed to just street ball like he usually does. Great scorer at times, but honestly feels like we have so many self-inflicted wounds the more he handles the ball.

I feel like the offense flows better when he is off the court. Granted our offense never has much flow. Maybe it is time to put in a real ball handler who we go to when in a scoring slump to set up an offense.
And replace him with which other 6-5 guy who can get hot from the field? He's a black hole but he can score at times. I would like to see McGowens get more looks on offense but unless teams double Teddy when he gets the ball, the shot is going up.

In the sense he isn’t a great fit for hoiberg’s system thinking makes sense, but there is no one to replace him. Only player that can score in bunches. He needs to be on floor

Reactions: TheNewNU
The guy is a black hole. Once he gets the ball, you never see it again. He's easy to defend, because you know he's going to the hole. If he does shoot from the outside, it's that God awful release from 25'. He's lazy on defense, he never boxes out, and not even close to being a team player. Watch the other 4 guys stand around when he has the ball, they know it's going up, they know they won't see the ball again on that possession. So they don't move.

Reactions: Riled Up
Wow, some strong shade being thrown on our leading scorer in a few of these posts. Who is going to have open shots if we don't have an inside presence or people that can score off the bounce. We need Mcgowens to stay in "attack mode" and Teddy to keep his emotions in check. We are a better team when these guys are attacking defenses. I really hope Walker has an inside back to the basket scoring game. It will help everyone.

Regarding his shot. I will take ugly and in over attractive and out. Still talkin' basketball.

I would approve a concerted effort to get teddy double the shots vs benching him

how many rebounds would walker have grabbed amongst the trees @ purdue yesterday? 2?

Reactions: TerranPetteway
Not an Xs & Os bball guy, but it seems to me that our offense is much more pro-style with a lot of dribbling and attempts to create one-on-one match-ups. Watching the other B1G programs you seem much more and quicker ball movement than we have.

As far as him being a black hole, I will say that he has absolutely shown the ability to drive in the paint and make a nice dish. Has done it several times... but we literally have no one that can finish in the paint. I'd rather him put up a difficult shot in the paint than pass to Yvan or Shamiel. Now, him jacking up contested 3s is a whole different issue.

Wow, some strong shade being thrown on our leading scorer in a few of these posts. Who is going to have open shots if we don't have an inside presence or people that can score off the bounce. We need Mcgowens to stay in "attack mode" and Teddy to keep his emotions in check. We are a better team when these guys are attacking defenses. I really hope Walker has an inside back to the basket scoring game. It will help everyone.

Regarding his shot. I will take ugly and in over attractive and out. Still talkin' basketball.
Excellent post. All of it.

As far as him being a black hole, I will say that he has absolutely shown the ability to drive in the paint and make a nice dish. Has done it several times... but we literally have no one that can finish in the paint. I'd rather him put up a difficult shot in the paint than pass to Yvan or Shamiel. Now, him jacking up contested 3s is a whole different issue.
anyone do less with more than stevenson?

Reactions: Bart Man
And replace him with which other 6-5 guy who can get hot from the field? He's a black hole but he can score at times. I would like to see McGowens get more looks on offense but unless teams double Teddy when he gets the ball, the shot is going up.
I would rather play a guy who is worse, but swings the ball and gets everyone involved because that makes everyone around him better. Teddy is a majority of the offense because if he's on the court, he is the only one who he lets shoot.

If I shoot it every time I touch the ball, I'd be high scorer too LOL

Guess I'm just not a fan of garbage, drivewall, playground basketball. I am a big fan of boxing out, ball movement, motion, making the extra pass, wide open shots, and making free throws. Not sure how many of those boxes Teddy checks off.

Reactions: Riled Up
I would rather play a guy who is worse, but swings the ball and gets everyone involved because that makes everyone around him better. Teddy is a majority of the offense because if he's on the court, he is the only one who can shoot.
He is not the only one who can shoot. McGowens proved that this past week. That said, people tend to stand around and watch when Teddy has the ball in his hands. I can't blame them because unless he gets doubled he isn't giving it up. I don't like what I see as far as offensive movement at times. I don't see many if any screens away from the ball. I don't think we actually have set plays to run in the paint to try to get easy buckets. It's hard to say when we recruited some guys who clearly want to free lance and we don't have anybody better than them to make them sit.

If I shoot it every time I touch the ball, I'd be high scorer too LOL

Guess I'm just not a fan of garbage, drivewall, playground basketball. I am a big fan of boxing out, ball movement, motion, making the extra pass, wide open shots, and making free throws. Not sure how many of those boxes Teddy checks off.
Making the extra pass is over rated IMO. Take a shot if it's open. Teddy turns the ball over when he makes the "extra pass" but he forces too many shots too.

Teddy is the hot cheerleader you love to date, but you know she's going to fool around, treat you like crap and ignore you at times. But you still want to date her since she's hot. So you put up with everything for the good things involved and put up with the bad.

anyone do less with more than stevenson?

I just don't what you can do with Stevenson. Dude is a yoked up 6'6 guard who can't really defend on the perimeter and isn't quite tall enough to do much down low, plus little to nothing in the scoring department.

He is the perfect size for an outside backer in a 3-4.

I'm sure Matt has already contacted Oscar Tshiebwe. Former 5 star center from West Va. He would be a major upgrade in the front court for us.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Teddy is the hot cheerleader you love to date, but you know she's going to fool around, treat you like crap and ignore you at times. But you still want to date her since she's hot. So you put up with everything for the good things involved and put up with the bad.
Hmmmm let me think about that one.... You know a picture would help me decide whether to like your post or not. Winking

I’m hoping Walker gives us some help and improvement moving forward.. Will we find out on Sunday...
He averaged about 5 minutes per game in his two years at Tennessee. His playing time was actually reduced in his sophomore year. He may make some impact because Yvan is struggling, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up by expecting him to be great.

He averaged about 5 minutes per game in his two years at Tennessee. His playing time was actually reduced in his sophomore year. He may make some impact because Yvan is struggling, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up by expecting him to be great.

And I’m not expecting anything great just better improvement and another body with depth..

Teddy is one of about 3 guys on the roster that are currently B1G calibur basketball players so I'm absolutely not for benching him for a guy that isnt good enough to play at this level.

(please ignore W/L record when consuming this post, as those are tertiary results and therefore meaningless within the context of building a competitive program. thank you.)

banton, teddy and trey seem to belong. I'll give kobe a .5

3.5 B1G basketball players this year. that's, what, a 300% improvement over last year? going the right direction!

Reactions: nwualum
I doubt he gives us much of a look but Oscar Tshiebwe would make us ungodly better next year with the addition of brother McGowans.

We do however need to make McGowans our full time PG. Banton needs to play on the wing and down low. Teddy needs the ball less in his hands.

One thing about his game is how does he shoot a 3 off his right foot and lands on his right foot while flailing his left foot throughout the process? It is the oddest footwork for a shooter I have seen. It’s like a QB scissor kicking when he throws the football.

• Haha
Reactions: rags21
Have to admit, I've thought the same thing....at the end of the game, he has 25 points, but does he have any assists? And we lose by 20? I know he has turnovers like mad (please please please don't dribble in the paint, usually results in a fast break the other way) and he doesn't really seem to make his teammates better. To be fair, the team has so many other issues, I can't put it all on Teddy, but I don't know how good we can really be if he is allowed to just street ball like he usually does. Great scorer at times, but honestly feels like we have so many self-inflicted wounds the more he handles the ball.
There are guys like that in basketball. They can stuff stat sheets, but are energy vampires. Teddy Allen can score but he’ll also do stuff that you never see in real basketball like not running back on defense after missing a shot and just lazily trying to reach around a dribbler to get a steal. It’s losing basketball. Teddy Allen is a guy you want to play against, not with.

I doubt he gives us much of a look but Oscar Tshiebwe would make us ungodly better next year with the addition of brother McGowans.

We do however need to make McGowans our full time PG. Banton needs to play on the wing and down low. Teddy needs the ball less in his hands.
McGowans is our best player. He should always bring the ball up. The other guys need to be dialed back a bit.

Disagree. Teddy would be the dirty blond, kinda hot, with a bad reputation. You can dump your girl to date her and it will be fun for two weeks, but she’s psycho and will make your life a living hell if you let her.

There's little ball movement even when Teddy doesn't have the ball. No one can anticipate the open guy. There's guys cutting to the basket that are wide open, but by the time we realize it, it's way too late. No one else on this team can generate any offense. Teddy is not the problem.

And give his minutes to who? Thor? Laughing

Thor is a good enough role player who can give some decent minutes, but not in the offense they are using where they try to take a 3-point by passing the ball around the perimeter. If they could ever get more of a motion/screening offense going Thor wouldn't look as bad. He is better at cutting to the basket off screens and back door plays, but he doesn't do well trying to set up an outside shot or creating on his own.

Agreed, Teddy is not the problem. He can score, on a team that struggles to score. With that said, Teddy is a ball hog and I would not want to play with him. And who knows, maybe Hoiberg wants him to shoot a ton just to get points on the board (for the time being).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT