ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Stille Question........

GenevaWildcats

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 23, 2002
So earlier this year a big front page article was written on Stille by the OWH about how Stille was the future of our program. I will be honest I have had to try to watch our first 2 games while at work so I haven't been tuned in to every play. But it seems to me that Stille is not getting near as much playing time as he did as last year. Is he just not a good fit for Chin's defensive scheme? Is he still trying to adjust to all the added weight he put on during the offseason? Is he injured? Do we just have guys that have stepped up and beat him out for playing time? I was and still am really high on Stille's ability to be a game changer type of player so was hoping someone might be able to fill me me in. Thanks.

His position is one of the very few on the team where we have legitimate depth. He is playing a lot but rotating with other solid options

So earlier this year a big front page article was written on Stille by the OWH about how Stille was the future of our program. I will be honest I have had to try to watch our first 2 games while at work so I haven't been tuned in to every play. But it seems to me that Stille is not getting near as much playing time as he did as last year. Is he just not a good fit for Chin's defensive scheme? Is he still trying to adjust to all the added weight he put on during the offseason? Is he injured? Do we just have guys that have stepped up and beat him out for playing time? I was and still am really high on Stille's ability to be a game changer type of player so was hoping someone might be able to fill me me in. Thanks.

Honestly, you could "thin him out" and go WDE in a 4-3 as well.

Freedom is playing great football. Love that kid.

Agree.. good motor.. also where has Mick been? I mean i think the Davis twins and Daniels have been great but mick has been quiet as well?

Just wish our DEs would get in their heads their job to contain. Yet again, Stille crashed in on the running back on a quarterback read option and left the quarterback a clear lane for a 30 plus yard pick up. Had he stayed home on the play, he either drills the QB for a loss or the QB has to hand off and the play goes maybe a yard or so, since the middle was already stacked up. I haven't seen Freedom do that yet in the first two games this year, which gives me hope. He was the worst at losing contain at the worst times the last two years.

Just wish our DEs would get in their heads their job to contain. Yet again, Stille crashed in on the running back on a quarterback read option and left the quarterback a clear lane for a 30 plus yard pick up. Had he stayed home on the play, he either drills the QB for a loss or the QB has to hand off and the play goes maybe a yard or so, since the middle was already stacked up. I haven't seen Freedom do that yet in the first two games this year, which gives me hope. He was the worst at losing contain at the worst times the last two years.

In a 3-4 it isn’t always the DE that has contain responsibilities

it was Stille on that play. there is no LB outside of him on that play. The announcers even pointed it out on the replay. On the other hand, that also may help explain why I haven't noticed Freedom yet year.

Reactions: Lincoln100

Actually, in most cases containment isn't the job of the DE in the 3-4. Their job is similar to a D Tackle in a 4-3, to occupy the T and to a lesser degree the G, so the LBs can make tackles. The OLB has outside containment for the most part.

Actually, in most cases containment isn't the job of the DE in the 3-4. Their job is similar to a D Tackle in a 4-3, to occupy the T and to a lesser degree the G, so the LBs can make tackles. The OLB has outside containment for the most part.

I know the announcers were all over Stille on that play, but I think his read was the RB on that play. Does anyone have a video?

I know the announcers were all over Stille on that play, but I think his read was the RB on that play. Does anyone have a video?

I just remember the play, and even though it looked like Stille screwed up, I think the ILBs and DE would have the RB and OLBs would have outside containment. The front 3's responsibility first and foremost is to engage the front 5 of the OLine, so the LBs can make tackles. Depending on the scheme, sometimes the DE has the C gap (outside the OT) but ultimately the DE in a 3-4 plays inside out. I can't remember if that run was to the strongside or weakside.

At about the 2 minute mark is the play in question. Stille was in no mans land. I am not sure even if he had forced the hand off it would have mattered. Neal was the safety coming down in support, Mo Barry was slow to react and went inside the block instead of outside. Davis had already seen the handoff and was in pursuit when Barry decided to go inside the block.

I am not sure Barry wasn't the contain on that side, it could have been Young, but they had trips to the left and he was in coverage and he kept it inside.

Last edited:
At about the 2 minute mark is the play in question. Stille was in no mans land. I am not sure even if he had forced the hand off it would have mattered. Neal was the safety coming down in support, Mo Barry was slow to react and went inside the block instead of outside. Davis had already seen the handoff and was in pursuit when Barry decided to go inside the block.

I am not sure Barry wasn't the contain on that side, it could have been Young, but they had trips to the left and he was in coverage and he kept it inside.

Wow, that's a tough one. I don't think that would be Barry's responsibility. It doesn't look like we were in any sort of stunt from the front 3. Technically Stille would have the C gap, but I don't know that he would have responsibility for the QB in a zone read. That puts a lot of responsibility on one guy that weighs 290, to go 1 on 1 with a mobile QB. There has to be some Safety help I would think.

it looks like Stille and Barry were covering the same gap and I have no idea what the hell Neal was doing

Forget who had contain and who didn't. If our players had any kind of football instinct, that play would have been stuffed for no gain. Almost immediately, it's obvious that the rb was no threat and the qb was the main threat on that side. Yet Stille follows the running back all the way down the line instead of making the easy play on the qb. Young is just standing there doing nothing then finally reacts after the qb is already past him. Our players need to stop thinking so much and just play football. There's no reason that play should have happened.

Forget who had contain and who didn't. If our players had any kind of football instinct, that play would have been stuffed for no gain. Almost immediately, it's obvious that the rb was no threat and the qb was the main threat on that side. Yet Stille follows the running back all the way down the line instead of making the easy play on the qb. Young is just standing there doing nothing then finally reacts after the qb is already past him. Our players need to stop thinking so much and just play football. There's no reason that play should have happened.

Ha ha ha ha. Everyone do their own thing based on instinct. Great plan. The problem is that some of those players followed instinct and others followed their assignment. Which, of course, leads to a busted plays. The read option’s sole purpose is to get a defender to react instinctively. At the mesh point the DE has to choose take the QB or the RB. There has to be another defender to set the edge and take away the other option.

The more I watch this play the more I think it was just a great play call. It looks like Nebraska is in Nickel because I don’t see a second OLB. Troy had 4 WR, 3 left and 1 right. Not being able to see the whole field and based on the fact that Neal was coming up in run support and Young was playing out in the flat curl area, it looks like a combo coverage man on the single receiver and zone on the trips to the top.

Regardless I don’t think instincts had much to do with the play. Either someone missed an assignment or it was a perfect call against this particular defense.

In total agreement with everything you wrote.

Ha ha ha ha. Everyone do their own thing based on instinct. Great plan. The problem is that some of those players followed instinct and others followed their assignment. Which, of course, leads to a busted plays. The read option’s sole purpose is to get a defender to react instinctively. At the mesh point the DE has to choose take the QB or the RB. There has to be another defender to set the edge and take away the other option.

The more I watch this play the more I think it was just a great play call. It looks like Nebraska is in Nickel because I don’t see a second OLB. Troy had 4 WR, 3 left and 1 right. Not being able to see the whole field and based on the fact that Neal was coming up in run support and Young was playing out in the flat curl area, it looks like a combo coverage man on the single receiver and zone on the trips to the top.

Regardless I don’t think instincts had much to do with the play. Either someone missed an assignment or it was a perfect call against this particular defense.

The one thing I'll say on this play is that I doubt the ILB as the A gap player has a gap-exchange rule to take the QB on zone read. The DE is lined up as a 4i, so it's unlikely he is the QB player as well. Looks like Young's play as the C gap/force player, though I obviously don't know Nebraska's call here or their specific option rules.

This is pure nonsense. You cannot play defense above the junior high level without rules and responsibilities.

The one thing I'll say on this play is that I doubt the ILB as the A gap player has a gap-exchange rule to take the QB on zone read. The DE is lined up as a 4i, so it's unlikely he is the QB player as well. Looks like Young's play as the C gap/force player, though I obviously don't know Nebraska's call here or their specific option rules.

That is why I think that this was just a great play call against the defense. It put multiple players in conflict, Stille take QB or RB, Young run/pass, but he kept the play to his inside. If Young is the force, who is the fill? Barry? The safety playing zone? If it's Barry he didn't react well to the mesh and took on the block to the inside.

Reactions: TheBeav815
That is why I think that this was just a great play call against the defense. It put multiple players in conflict, Stille take QB or RB, Young run/pass, but he kept the play to his inside. If Young is the force, who is the fill? Barry? The safety playing zone? If it's Barry he didn't react well to the mesh and took on the block to the inside.

Not sure what you mean exactly by the "fill" player. Barry is definitely hesitant...looks like he doesn't know exactly what to do after Stoltenberg gets owned so he has to deal with a guard in his face.

I'm fairly certain this is Young's play with Nebraska being 4 over 3 on the top side.

Not sure what you mean exactly by the "fill" player. Barry is definitely hesitant...looks like he doesn't know exactly what to do after Stoltenberg gets owned so he has to deal with a guard in his face.

I'm fairly certain this is Young's play with Nebraska being 4 over 3 on the top side.

Well if the play is forced back inside, someone has to be there to make the tackle of fill the the cut back. If Stille is crashing down, and Stoltenberg has the A gap and Barry has the other A gap, there needs to be someone to fit in the adjusted gap. What is Neal doing, he got beat down the field by the OLinemen? Where is the other safety, Williams makes the tackle but 40 yards down field? Since Williams earned a blackshirt, I have to assume he wasn't in the wrong (tongue in cheek)

Too much blame on Stille.

Well if the play is forced back inside, someone has to be there to make the tackle of fill the the cut back. If Stille is crashing down, and Stoltenberg has the A gap and Barry has the other A gap, there needs to be someone to fit in the adjusted gap. What is Neal doing, he got beat down the field by the OLinemen? Where is the other safety, Williams makes the tackle but 40 yards down field? Since Williams earned a blackshirt, I have to assume he wasn't in the wrong (tongue in cheek)

Too much blame on Stille.
Stille's job on that is to keep hips parallel to the line of scrimmage and squeezed the cutback lane by shuffling to his left to close the gap left by the OL with his hips. But shoulders need to stay parallel to the LOS the entire time, because if the pull happens, he has to be able to redirect and stretch the QB as far as he can. He's not going to make the play on the RB from the backside, and the way he forces the "give" by the QB us to stay parallel and squeeze the cutback lane.

He's the defender the QB is reading on the play. He turns his hips so he's perpendicular to the LOS and squeezes the LOS, and the QB is pulling it, which is exactly what happened. He has to play the B gap, as big as it is, between guard and tackle. Young has the C gap outside of the tackle.

If it's graded, Stille gets a -1 on the play.

Reactions: oldjar07

Well you have to know your assignment, but you should also know when you can cheat your assignment to make a play. Great players do this all the time. Stille was probably responsible for the running back on the play, but it's also immediately obvious he wasn't going to be able to do a damn thing about the running back on the play and him following the running back down the line accomplished nothing even if the qb had handed the ball off. Even if Stille just sits where he is, that could have slowed the qb down enough to prevent a big play. Stille should have known he wasn't going to be able to do anything about the running back, but he could have done something about the qb, even if it wasn't his assignment. The same thing for Young. Instead of just standing there in no man's land not really covering the receivers, he could have made a play on the qb.

Well you have to know your assignment, but you should also know when you can cheat your assignment to make a play. Great players do this all the time. Stille was probably responsible for the running back on the play, but it's also immediately obvious he wasn't going to be able to do a damn thing about the running back on the play and him following the running back down the line accomplished nothing even if the qb had handed the ball off. Even if Stille just sits where he is, that could have slowed the qb down enough to prevent a big play. Stille should have known he wasn't going to be able to do anything about the running back, but he could have done something about the qb, even if it wasn't his assignment. The same thing for Young. Instead of just standing there in no man's land not really covering the receivers, he could have made a play on the qb.
He wasn't responsible for the running back. We had the playside accounted for with other defenders. The things the backside DE on this play has responsibility for us closing/narrowing the cutback lane, prepare for a wham block (didn't happen here), and prepare to play the QB pull.

This is general run game technique for a DE on plays away from you:

1) on snap, when you don't get touched, STOP. There is a reason you aren't getting pressure on your shoulder from an OL. You're either the player being read or the player targeted for a kick-out block.

2) stay shallow, don't get depth - this means you pop your feet and keep them ON the line of scrimmage. Depth in the backfield kills you, aka puts you in no man's land - you are easily kicked out by a pull or wham block, you open the gate on the cutback lane, the QB doesn't have to work as hard to get around you.

3) keep hips and shoulder upfield while shuffling along the LOS, trying to get your left hip as close as possible to the left hip of the nearest OL. If you have a wham block or pulling OL coming your direction, staying shallow to the OL allows you to wrong shoulder the block and bounce the cutback to your pursuit. If you stay shallow and the RB cuts back, you're ready to make the tackle or chase him to your pursuit. If the QB pulls the ball on the read, you are prepared to change direction and run directly down the LOS to stretch the play as far as you can.

I can't speak for what happened with the safeties behind the DL and LBs, but Stille didn't execute his technique. Had he done it, the QB probably gives the ball, and we have it bottled up.

Young has to trust the Stille and the force defender will be where they need to be. If they are, and if the QB pulls it, and Stille pushes the QB to the boundary, Young is there, in his gap, to make the play. Young can't freelance, because if he does, now we have two helmets in one gap (Stille's gap) and the WR rides Young to the inside, and the QB continues through an unowned gap.

Everyone has to do their job. We don't have Lavonte David on the team. He's one of the few who could do what he wanted and still make plays. He was that good. We don't have that, so we rely on everyone playing sound assignment football.

Last edited:

Mikel Severe said on his show yesterday that was Young's responsibility. I don't know if he got that from Chin or one of the players. Young got caught in the wrong gap.

ADVERTISEMENT