ADVERTISEMENT

Bell back working with Keith Williams...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
If you’re an NFL wide receiver looking to improve during your time off, where do you go? For Tampa Bay Buccaneers rookie Kenny Bell, there was only one way to answer that. You go back to Lincoln, Neb., to train with Huskers’ receivers coach Keith Williams.

That’s not to say this was Bell’s plan all along. He didn’t think he’d be returning to his collegiate hometown quite so soon. Williams changed that all with one text message.

“He shot me a text two weeks ago that said, ‘KB. We’re going to be getting work in this next week. Do you want to come?”’ Bell said. “I had known all about Coach Dub before I had gotten the chance to work with him and I said, ‘Absolutely, there is no question. I’ll be there.’ I asked when he wanted to start and he said Wednesday. I said, ‘I’ll be there Tuesday night.’”

Fans know Bell as the most productive receiver in Husker history. Sitting at the top of Nebraska’s career charts in receptions and receiving yards, it’s hard to imagine Bell has too many things he needs to improve upon. That’s where Williams comes in.

“Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career,” Bell said. “Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.”

Williams, known as ‘Coach Dub’ by Bell, quickly earned the respect and appreciation of the Husker alum. His passion and knowledge for the game really stood out and the fact that Williams shares that passion and wisdom freely was even better.

“He’ll let you know when it’s bad,” Bell said. “If you do it bad, he’s going to let you know that it’s bad. If you do it right, he’s going to love you up and he’s going to let you know that you did it right.

“The best part about that is when he lets you know that you did it wrong, he’ll come back and tell you exactly what you did wrong. There’s no, ‘That was really bad,’ and you jump to the back of the line and do it again. He corrects the mistakes that are made.”

And mistakes do happen. Bell knows that, which is why it’s important to him to find a coach that knows and understands that. Williams is that coach.

“You’re going to mess up. Things are going to go wrong,” Bell said. “When you have a coach that knows that but appreciates the hard work that you’re putting in, to a player, that’s what matters.

“Through my entire football career, that’s been the model. If you’re going to make a mistake, make it going full-speed. When you’ve got a coach that understands that and appreciates how much work you do and how hard you’re trying, that’s what a players’ coach is. That’s not a coach that lets guys get away with stuff or anything like that. It’s a guy that understands the hard word and the stress of the game.”

Williams’ passion is clearly infectious. It attracts a wide range of NFL talent, too. Over the last week, Williams has tweeted about working with the Washington Redskins’ Ryan Grant to the Oakland Raiders’ James Jones.

“You can’t not respect the man,” Bell said. “He garners respect because he knows so much about the position. He knows so much about the game.

“Guys like myself, that’s what we flock to. We flock to knowledge because there’s so much about the game that you can learn from a guy like Coach Dub. You can sit down with him every day for weeks and learn something new every day.”

As for how Williams will fit at Nebraska, Bell isn’t concerned.

“He’s perfect for Nebraska,” Bell said. “The fans absolutely love him and he’s got the personality for the players. He’s got the personality for this city, this state. He’s outgoing, he’s fun to be around, he’s hilarious. On top of that, he’s one of the best wide receivers coaches in the country. You put all those factors into one man and you’re going to have a successful receiving corp.”

Bell still looks back fondly on the staff that helped develop him through his collegiate years. He’s clear that he has nothing but love and respect for Bo Pelini and the former staff. However, he’s also excited for the future of Nebraska football.

“No one can ever take that away from me, how much I love and appreciate those men for what they did for me,” Bell said. “It’s really difficult to put into words and to tell someone how much you appreciate what they’ve done for you and how much you love them for that. And not just done for me, but how they treated me. They helped me become a man.

“At the same time, I have the utmost respect and confidence in Coach Riley and this staff. I just can’t wait to watch this year’s team.”

Looking forward, Bell is ready to start his career in the NFL. There’s plenty of work left to do, but he’s more than ready thanks to the guidance of Williams. He also knows where you’ll be able to find him when he has some time off.

“I’ve had a tremendous time working with him and there’s no question who I’ll be working with during my time away from my NFL team,” Bell said.

After all, he could have gone anywhere. Instead, Bell came back to Lincoln.

“This is my time off right now. I’m just training and gearing up for training camp. I could be anywhere in the world but there’s no question where I wanted to be. I wanted to be working with Coach Williams.”

Erin Sorensen

Reactions: GretnaShawn
KB does his usual class act where he expresses his appreciation and love for the former staff while pumping up the new guys too.

Then we have us. Why does it seem impossible for us to act in like manner to Kenny?

KB does his usual class act where he expresses his appreciation and love for the former staff while pumping up the new guys too.

Then we have us. Why does it seem impossible for us to act in like manner to Kenny?
Kenny wears his heart on his sleeve. He hasn't always, every time, been so complimentary across the board. At times, he let his frustration get the best of him and he aired it, usually via Twitter.

This is exciting to see KB so high on the coaches. But please don't act like he's always taken the high road and never had any digs against fans or athletic department staff. When it felt like he or his own was wronged he said so. And not always diplomatically.

I am happy he is working out here and still has much love for Nebraska. I will cheer for him every play he plays in the nfl. But please don't overlook his part in some of the negativity that has gone his way.

Kenny has been a great spokesman at the university. Go back and read virtually every interview he has had. Some guys on here love reading things into every twitter thing that gets said and then spout, "He might not have said it, but this is what Kenny really meant!"

Exactly where in your head did you dream this up in this thread? Tom is trolling, what a freaking shocker.

Kenny has been a great spokesman at the university. Go back and read virtually every interview he has had. Some guys on here love reading things into every twitter thing that gets said and then spout, "He might not have said it, but this is what Kenny really meant!"
Tom, his interviews have been great. But you can't discount Twitter. You just can't. How many celebrities have been hammered because of Twitter? How many? Why should Kenny be exempt? So when he takes little snipes at the difference in fan support between PBA and memorial stadium, you're telling me he really didn't mean it?

Again, I am thankful he was a husker and played his heart out for us. I will cheer for him in the nfl. But his tweets do call for some accountability. It doesn't mean I don't like him and won't support him... But he could have been a little smarter with Twitter. Just like, at times, I could have been smarter on a message board.

I thought coach fisher was one of the better position coaches under coach bo. Remember, he was surrounded by clowns like b. Cotton, r. Els, and papuchis

Tom, his interviews have been great. But you can't discount Twitter. You just can't. How many celebrities have been hammered because of Twitter? How many? Why should Kenny be exempt? So when he takes little snipes at the difference in fan support between PBA and memorial stadium, you're telling me he really didn't mean it?

Again, I am thankful he was a husker and played his heart out for us. I will cheer for him in the nfl. But his tweets do call for some accountability. It doesn't mean I don't like him and won't support him... But he could have been a little smarter with Twitter. Just like, at times, I could have been smarter on a message board.
You are just wrong about twitter. A couple of guys who hated the former regime completely twisted his words/pics. His most talked about "offense" was putting up a pic acting like he had shaved the fro. It just shows how a couple of people with an agenda can skew everything.

You are just wrong about twitter. A couple of guys who hated the former regime completely twisted his words/pics. His most talked about "offense" was putting up a pic acting like he had shaved the fro. It just shows how a couple of people with an agenda can skew everything.
Tom, the fro pic is not what I'm referencing at all.

I'm not on Twitter, so I will freely admit there isn't a lot for me to go on. But wasn't it bell who tweeted that it would be nice to have the fan support the basketball team had? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if he did, some are gonna be bent about that. I get that it shouldn't be a big deal, but for some it is. I will even say that for some, their feelings about KB intensified when he stood up for his fired coach.

Having said all this, can't it be enough to appreciate Kenny for coming around to the current coaches and supporting them? Rather than calling people out, let the thread be positive... I'm not sure that this thread is the thread to start pointing the finger with the general idea that some treated Kenny poorly.

Tom, the fro pic is not what I'm referencing at all.

I'm not on Twitter, so I will freely admit there isn't a lot for me to go on. But wasn't it bell who tweeted that it would be nice to have the fan support the basketball team had? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But if he did, some are gonna be bent about that. I get that it shouldn't be a big deal, but for some it is. I will even say that for some, their feelings about KB intensified when he stood up for his fired coach.

Having said all this, can't it be enough to appreciate Kenny for coming around to the current coaches and supporting them? Rather than calling people out, let the thread be positive... I'm not sure that this thread is the thread to start pointing the finger with the general idea that some treated Kenny poorly.
1. People crank on Kenny for saying it would be nice to get the fan support that the basketball team was getting...and THAT makes him a bad dude who should be held accountable? Only people with an agenda would think that.

2. I wasn't the one who took a great article and started harshing on Kenny. Read the thread.

1. People crank on Kenny for saying it would be nice to get the fan support that the basketball team was getting...and THAT makes him a bad dude who should be held accountable? Only people with an agenda would think that.

2. I wasn't the one who took a great article and started harshing on Kenny. Read the thread.
1. My apologies... Never intended to say he was a bad dude... Don't know how you took it that way, but sorry that you did. I repeatedly said I will cheer for Kenny his entire NFL career.

2. My problem was taking exception to you taking an opportunity to take a great thread about Kenny using that as an opportunity to call people out. Re read the thread. It was all good til you lamented about those who weren't like Kenny.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Hey buddy, YOU were the first

Trollllllllllllllllllllio

1. My apologies... Never intended to say he was a bad dude... Don't know how you took it that way, but sorry that you did. I repeatedly said I will cheer for Kenny his entire NFL career.

2. My problem was taking exception to you taking an opportunity to take a great thread about Kenny using that as an opportunity to call people out. Re read the thread. It was all good til you lamented about those who weren't like Kenny.
Truth

I thought coach fisher was one of the better position coaches under coach bo. Remember, he was surrounded by clowns like b. Cotton, r. Els, and papuchis

Yes, our receiving core took a notable leap after his hire. Of Bo's out of left field position hires he has to top the list. Coach Williams seems like the real deal so hopefully he can take an already very good group and take them to elite status.

I wasn't the one who took a great article and started harshing on Kenny. Read the thread.

I did read the thread. You pretty much opened the door for this discussion with this post:

Did you honestly think that the discussion would solely limit itself to self-reflection by posters?

Reactions: timnsun
Kenny had a very measured approach when he talked about the current staff in good terms and then spoke about the former staff he loved and recognized how much they had done for him. Then, people did just the opposite of Kenny and tried to use his words to blast the former staff. If I'm Kenny, I don't read this thread and think, "Those people respect me." I'm thinking, "Those people just treated me like trash for their own agenda."

But go on...act like you support Kenny...:(

Kenny had a very measured approach when he talked about the current staff in good terms and then spoke about the former staff he loved and recognized how much they had done for him. Then, people did just the opposite of Kenny and tried to use his words to blast the former staff. If I'm Kenny, I don't read this thread and think, "Those people respect me." I'm thinking, "Those people just treated me like trash for their own agenda."

Classic...making a mountain out of a molehill. Slow day in Tulsa.

Nope. The Mt out of molehill analogy certainly applies but you have it backwards. If you followed all of the threads on this issue over the yrs, there were clearly "fans" specifically here that had it out for Kenny. Oh they loved him scoring TD's, but they couldn't wait to slam him when he didn't do great or opined on something they didn't agree with (and Kenny did give them some ammo a couple times unneccessarily). More often the case is that these "fans" were on a witch hunt to slander unfairly at any opportunity. Perhaps it was where he was from, his hair, his lineage (or maybe all of the above). Kid was (and is) a baller, stayed out trouble, and was much better team leader than the guy that slanged him the rock during most of his career...

I wish him the best in his professional career and appreciate his contribution to our program (I think he did set a career record or two for NU as well...)

GBR

Conversely, people don't read the stuff Kenny says and think, "Kenny is appreciative of our support". These people think, "Kenny and his coaches find us fans to be a nuisance and beneath them."

But go on...act like Kenny is totally blameless in this situation.

P.S. I haven't been nearly as critical as some have been regarding KB. But I'm getting tired of the impression and idea that KB is this blameless victim who did absolutely nothing to warrant and explain the antagonism toward him. You people make it sound that he's getting unwarranted and inexplicable attacks despite showering praise on Nebraska supporters.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun

Actually, you were the one who derailed this thread to where it is now. Go complain in a thread where someone actually bashes KB.

Reactions: timnsun

Just curious... Did you read the thread, like I asked? If so, can you please explain once again how I bashed Kenny? I honestly don't know, and to avoid it in the future, your help would be appreciated in identifying how I bashed Kenny. That way I don't do it again.

Just curious... Did you read the thread, like I asked? If so, can you please explain once again how I bashed Kenny? I honestly don't know, and to avoid it in the future, your help would be appreciated in identifying how I bashed Kenny. That way I don't do it again.
Never said you bashed him. However, if someone takes my own words and uses them to rip on people I love...people who helped me a great deal, then that one is bashing me.

Perhaps it was where he was from, his hair, his lineage (or maybe all of the above).
GBR
Do you really think as you imply a lot of people think about every issue in terms of where someone is from, his hair, and/or his lineage? Is it possible, just remotely possible some fans didn't like the no support comments without thinking a micro-second about his home state, hair and "lineage"?

I'll ask again Tom. Who, in this thread, was bashing Kenny Bell?

Never said you bashed him. However, if someone takes my own words and uses them to rip on people I love...people who helped me a great deal, then that one is bashing me.
Tom please be a little more clear. Are you talking about me? If so, how did I use your words to rip on people you love? And this is the first time I've seen you talk about you being bashed... Everything else was people bashing Kenny... Why the change now? It seems like you are changing the story so you can avoid Kaz's question...

If you aren't referring to me you need to stop quoting me. As far as I know, whenever you quote me I'm going to assume it's me you are griping about.

Tom please be a little more clear. Are you talking about me? If so, how did I use your words to rip on people you love? And this is the first time I've seen you talk about you being bashed... Everything else was people bashing Kenny... Why the change now? It seems like you are changing the story so you can avoid Kaz's question...

If you aren't referring to me you need to stop quoting me. As far as I know, whenever you quote me I'm going to assume it's me you are griping about.
It's plenty clear. How about we just say, "Great interview by Kenny"? No need to twist his words and act like he thinks the former staff did diddly for him. That's bagging on him.

It's plenty clear. How about we just say, "Great interview by Kenny"? No need to twist his words and act like he thinks the former staff did diddly for him. That's bagging on him.

No Tom. It's not plenty clear. Who, in this thread was bashing Kenny Bell?

So this is directed at me. Even though in the previous post you said it wasn't. I don't get it, but oh well.

Let me just remind you no one said anything negative at all about Kenny until you posted calling people out. Even then, I don't think anybody was speaking trash about Kenny in this thread. if you are talking about Kaz who poked fun at Fisher, why can't you say that? What Kaz said was funny, not a dig at Kenny in any way. Are you afraid to upset the Mod?

No Tom. It's not plenty clear. Who, in this thread was bashing Kenny Bell?
For the umpteenth time, when you take his words and try to make them a pot shot at the former staff when he heaped praise on those former guys, you are trashing his words and intentions. He was nothing but pure class in that article.

“No one can ever take that away from me, how much I love and appreciate those men for what they did for me,” Bell said. “It’s really difficult to put into words and to tell someone how much you appreciate what they’ve done for you and how much you love them for that. And not just done for me, but how they treated me. They helped me become a man."

Good god Tom. That is pretty pathetic. Turning an innocent joke into something you fits your agenda or troll. I have never bashed Kenny Bell in this board or anywhere. If you think that joke was a swipe at KB, then you need to get thicker skin. Your trolling is getting old.

For the umpteenth time, when you take his words and try to make them a pot shot at the former staff when he heaped praise on those former guys, you are trashing his words and intentions. He was nothing but pure class in that article.

“No one can ever take that away from me, how much I love and appreciate those men for what they did for me,” Bell said. “It’s really difficult to put into words and to tell someone how much you appreciate what they’ve done for you and how much you love them for that. And not just done for me, but how they treated me. They helped me become a man."
Even more confused now... Who took his words and made them into a pot shot at former coaches? I didn't see this at all! Some took digs at former coaches, but they were not attributed to Kenny in any way.

Yes, he said he's learned much from coach Williams. Yes some have jokingly said the past staff was insufficient... But that is an observation of coaching, not an attribution to Kenny. If this has you all upset, you're reading into it something that just isn't there.

He might have been one of the better position coaches under Bo, but that's not a high bar. The receivers certainly improved from where they were under his tutelage. I think a real WR coach could have gotten even more.

No matter how much spin you try to apply, Kenny Bell is a villain because he choose to be one. He bought into the rhetoric that his coaches fed him and his teammates, and he turned on the fans. He will forever be a Husker, no one can take that away from him, but he will also forever be remembered for his legacy of running to social media to blast fans or to whine about a perceived injustice. The young man has a lot to learn and for his sake, I hope that in the NFL he matures into a man and can be productive WR for wherever he is.

...and you can get out of here with Bell said nothing disparaging about his previous coaches...when the new WR coach at NU can point out all your flaws and fix them in less than a one hour photo mat can print my vacation selfies, that is about the biggest indictment of them to date. Sure, maybe ol' Tin Cup could help me fix my golf swing that quickly, but unfortunately what has been said was quite evident in the way our receiving corp performed under the old guard. It will be quite interesting to see how the players respond to the actual coaching they are receiving from KW.

ah, if only KB listened to the wise words of the sage jawbreakingsafetyplay then he would be a man. gmafb

Reactions: HuskerJack95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT