ADVERTISEMENT

Being Physical > Talking About It

Physical football takes time and daily building of the culture. The OC and DC must instill with play calling and teaching by the position coaches.

Some people have stated White will be a head coach after this year. Well, coaches get new gigs because of conference success. 8 games to fix the issues that the last two weeks showed.

Reactions: BigRedTed
It was 26 carries for 106 yards if you take away the sacks

We just refuse to commit to the run game
A shit ton of little pussy shoestring grabs are bringing our guys down. So frustrating we can't run through that shit.

Yep. Every…single…time we start to hope, we get kicked square in the nuts.

It’s so effing mind numbing to try putting the spin on yet another m—effing colossal fail in crunch time.

Friday night. At home. All the momentum in the world. Playing against a decent but imminently beatable Big Ten team. And OF COURSE, the Benny Hill music revs up, we step on a rake and smack ourselves square in the face, and show once again that we’re still a non-serious program.

Just effing exhausting.

Two games now in a row where we were not the more physical team.

Once again, we won the off season hype about better physicality, iron on iron in practice, and improved S&C. And once again it has proven to be a load of total shit.

The real cause of the malaise, in my opinion, has nothing to do with practice habits or S&C. The real cause is that we simply lack difference making talent in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Our players lack upper level talent. Period. Two of the most overrated players in America are Ty and Polar Bear. They are simply not as good as the hype. They got pushed around like rag dolls yesterday. Just like last week. And we lack talent at linebacker as well.

We will not improve under Rhule until he recruits better talent in the trenches. That is where you win or lose games.

The problem isn’t coaching. The problem is recruiting.

I can't argue with this. Easy to say it now, but 3rd & 3 in the 4th quarter I thought we would run the ball and then go for 4th down if they had to. The play action pass was there but we saw how that turned out.

Then in OT, they were supposedly going to throw it in the end zone on 1st down. Again- not a good result.

Both times, no trust in the run game.

Yep. Every…single…time we start to hope, we get kicked square in the nuts.

It’s so effing mind numbing to try putting the spin on yet another m—effing colossal fail in crunch time.

Friday night. At home. All the momentum in the world. Playing against a decent but imminently beatable Big Ten team. And OF COURSE, the Benny Hill music revs up, we step on a rake and smack ourselves square in the face, and show once again that we’re still a non-serious program.

Just effing exhausting.
LOL. You're Benny Hill music comment was spot on.

Once again, we won the off season hype about better physicality, iron on iron in practice, and improved S&C. And once again it has proven to be a load of total shit.

The real cause of the malaise, in my opinion, has nothing to do with practice habits or S&C. The real cause is that we simply lack difference making talent in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Our players lack upper level talent. Period. Two of the most overrated players in America are Ty and Polar Bear. They are simply not as good as the hype. They got pushed around like rag dolls yesterday. Just like last week. And we lack talent at linebacker as well.

We will not improve under Rhule until he recruits better talent in the trenches. That is where you win or lose games.

I dunno. Our defense was confused the whole time. Hard to play fast or physical when you are confused.

Agree with a lot but the coaching is to blame too. Coach up. IL doesn’t have freaks in the trench either

Bielma game plan was to stuff our running game and force Dylan to make plays with his arm..Illini defense looked better tonight than the their first 2 games, and DR missed pass to the TE on 3rd down woukd have given NU 31 points and the game winner,,

Exactly our lines are manned by pussies and nice guys.

Reactions: cornwoman
Bielma game plan was to stuff our running game and force Dylan to make plays with his arm..Illini defense looked better tonight than the their first 2 games, and DR missed pass to the TE on 3rd down woukd have given NU 31 points and the game winner,,
Yep and the same old song and dance.

The penalty disparity is hard to take. But also a lot of those penalties were legit (face mask, Sherman punches, face mask again- and absolutely needless)

A lot of last years identity showed up. Very disappointing to see a team that barely has a notable recruit push us around and man up our WRs.

they can use this for motivation. It looked like they were reading headlines. They looked undisciplined and they lacked the intensity of the other team who was a road dog on a Friday night. We had every advantage in the world and pulled the same old shit we are used to. The staff needs to point the thumb

Reactions: JohhnieSouth
The penalty disparity is hard to take. But also a lot of those penalties were legit (face mask, Sherman punches, face mask again- and absolutely needless)

Yeah it's always convenient when there is a penalty disparity, some (a lot) of fans want to blame the refs for calling a lopsided game. The fix was on, they have it out for us, etc. Or...or...or...just a thought here, maybe it's because one team was more disciplined and more mistake free than the other? Weird concept, I know.

That was the case last night if you're being even halfway objective.

(eta - not directed at you, it's a lot of fans of a lot of teams)

31 carries for 77 yards. Can't control a football game with that.
Exactly. The defense was on the field a lot longer than we needed. Not saying the defense played well, but NU has not shown it can win with a sustained rushing attack. Offensively we were the Raiola and Neyor show. If NU can't put 200+ yards on the ground consistently the Big 10 season will be a struggle. What happens in Nov when the weather turns cold and blustery.
NU needs to be better at the LOS grinding out yards. 31 carries should be well over 200 yards.

Fact of the matter is this Illinois team is just decent, not great.

We had many opportunities to put this one away, but didn’t.

Kicking will haunt us all year.

In my opinion anytime we advance the ball past the 50 it should be 4 down territory.
Illinois is good enough to win 8 games. The Big 10 is pretty good top to bottom. I'm not surprised NU lost. Just how NU lost. Giving up 31 points and watching the defense getting gashed consistently was unexpected. I thought what we saw against UNI was misleading but ot was not.

Exactly. The defense was on the field a lot longer than we needed. Not saying the defense played well, but NU has not shown it can win with a sustained rushing attack. Offensively we were the Raiola and Neyor show. If NU can't put 200+ yards on the ground consistently the Big 10 season will be a struggle. What happens in Nov when the weather turns cold and blustery.
NU needs to be better at the LOS grinding out yards. 31 carries should be well over 200 yards.
We averaged more yards per carry and more yards per game last season without a passing threat. Explain that. It makes no sense. 31 carries I would take 160. We win. Satterfield choreographs his runs. Illinois was all over Barney's first jet sweep because everyone knew it was coming. Pretty creative in the passing game. I'll give him that. But you need to be able to run the ball at Nebraska to win. 5 star #1 player out of the nation in recruiting or not.

Last edited:
They didn’t really stop it

We just don’t have a coaching staff disciplined enough to commit to it

Ha, but I agree less talking & preaching from this point. Will see how they respond this next week on the road. Purdue is real bad.
Stop saying the other teams are bad. I was told that about Illinios last week over and over again.

Do you know who is ****ing bad? Nebraska. Nebraska is ****ing bad. Got it?

Any coach can exploit our weaknesses.

Reactions: Dylman
They didn’t really stop it

We just don’t have a coaching staff disciplined enough to commit to it
That’s what I wasn’t seeing at the stadium.. We weren’t firing off the ball and the Illini were controlling the line of scrimmage.

That’s what I wasn’t seeing at the stadium.. We weren’t firing off the ball and the Illini were controlling the line of scrimmage.
Still averaged 4ypc

Were just a finesse, pass-first team

All that mumbo jumbo about being physical is lip service

It is pretty fascinating that we can pile up personal fouls, yet play without physicality.

Really? I think that's usually when most personal fouls happen. When you're getting physically beat within the rules and frustration takes over and you grab a face mask or throw a punch to compensate for the as kicking you're taking.

Just crapping on our best players and shows you're a poster who doesn't know wtf he's talking about. Our entire defense looked confused last night. I blame coaching for that.
Sure did seem like a coaching issue. Especially on the back end. They never really seemed to be in the same page.

Reactions: oldjar07
Really? I think that's usually when most personal fouls happen. When you're getting physically beat within the rules and frustration takes over and you grab a face mask or throw a punch to compensate for the as kicking you're taking.
I think a lot of face mask penalties happen when the defender is late or out of position and is reaching and grasping. The defense looked like that lot last night.

I think a lot of face mask penalties happen when the defender is late or out of position and is reaching and grasping. The defense looked like that lot last night.
They looked like they tried to just play solo ball when times got tough. Need to get back to playing as a team and just playing the game as they know how. Bullock & Ceyair were bright spots last night. The DL and the Safeties not so much. Good news is once again a lot of kids are developing. Shavers and WM4 saw time in crunch time. I hope we just keep building.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT