ADVERTISEMENT

Before buying into the Spring optimism

Dec 21, 2020
As the optimism rises, as it does every Spring, I suggest pouring a cold glass of water on your head by re-watching the Rutgers game.
- Atrocious Special Teams.
- Turnovers & Penalties galore.
- Head-scratching situational offensive play calls.

These things plagued us all season, and shined as bright as ever in our final game. Not saying it's impossible, but it would take a MONUMENTAL turnaround to right all these wrongs in one year. I think we'll be better than last year, but I expect plenty of frustration yet, and to lose games by our own demise.

I'll still be cheering as loud as ever, but trying to keep it realistic. GBR.

As the optimism rises, as it does every Spring, I suggest pouring a cold glass of water on your head by re-watching the Rutgers game.

These things plagued us all season, and shined as bright as ever in our final game. Not saying it's impossible, but it would take a MONUMENTAL turnaround to right all these wrongs in one year. I think we'll be better than last year, but I expect plenty of frustration yet, and to lose games by our own demise.

Lol, thanks for keeping it real. I’d rather go through all of summer and fall just expecting the wheels to fall off, being pissed in anticipation of what will happen then be hopeful that the coaches have seen the same things we have and are attempting to put a more disciplined product on the field.

Yep, my summer will suck anytime I think about what could happen this fall. No two ways about it. And before this post of yours I was gonna hope for the best. You’ve been very helpful.

Yeah, people here really need to cool it with the over the top optimism. This place has been brimming with insane positivity ever since the team decided they didn’t want to be bothered with bowl practices and a bowl game and instead wanted to be Home for the Holidays. Fa la la la la.

But worry not, Scotty Ball is the proven cure for all of the wild optimism.

Last edited:

I suggest you stick your head into a bucket of water. Pessimistic people like you always find something to complain about. Our defense is solid and our receivers are clearly better than they have been.

I for one am NOT going to get excited before seeing them play a few actual games in the Fall no matter what the Spring is like.

But it is quite possible for a team to turn it around from being very bad the year before to being very good the following year. I'm not convinced it will happen that way at Nebraska (especially with the tough schedule they face) BUT it has happened at other schools so not impossible.

Yeah, people here really need to cool it with the over the top optimism. This place has been brimming with insane positivity ever since the team decided they didn’t want to be bothered with bowl practices and a bowl game and instead wanted to be Home for the Holidays. But worry not, Scotty Ball is the cure for wild optimism.
Why??

Why do we care about the Kool Aid drinkers jizzing all over themselves? They have been wrong for years and it helps ease the pain of the Huskers being a bottom dweller by watching them spin their stories and justify unimaginable performances. On the flip side, if it turns out the Huskers turn the corner this fall, I’m pleasantly surprised based on results, not hot air.

I expect special teams to improve greatly.

That said, Frost does exhibit terrible long term and short term decision-making at times. I worry about him.

This is the least excited I've ever been for an upcoming season. I only check the board occasionally out of habit more than anything. Hardly pay attention to the hype threads.

What people tend to forget that even though we will definitely be better than last season, so will most every other team. Nebraska is not the only one with returning seniors.
Why? We lost Wandale. We lost our best backup qb. We lost Mills. Besides that, we have the same mediocre defense and poor offense as last year. There's no reason to believe we'll be any better this year.

What people tend to forget that even though we will definitely be better than last season, so will most every other team. Nebraska is not the only one with returning seniors.

Will Alabama be better next season? Will Iowa be better next season?

Thanks op. You have an uncanny grasp of the obvious.

Reactions: timnsun
Is the free board pumping optimism?

All you poors should come over to the pay board. Plenty of doom & gloom there.

Dean can’t report anything positive without getting a beat down.

Must a lot of red kool aid poured in the bread line over here on the other side of the tracks.

Reactions: timnsun
Will Alabama be better next season? Will Iowa be better next season?

Thanks op. You have an uncanny grasp of the obvious.
When Alabama loses a player to the draft, they replace them with another player who will get drafted. Nebraska, on the other hand...

But it is true, Iowa is an exception. They lost a lot of players and probably will not be better.

I suggest you stick your head into a bucket of water. Pessimistic people like you always find something to complain about. Our defense is solid and our receivers are clearly better than they have been.
I did. 600 yards of offense but interceptions and fumble killed us. An optimist says turnovers are fixable. A pessimist, like you thinks the turnovers are not fixable. The team is older which by itself should help with turnovers.

Reactions: bshirt73
seconday out of site, lb's better, d-line better.
wr as a whole, alot better, ol better, center better, te's better, rb's better. qb not great but better.
special teams, well they say they're taking them seriously so better.
alot of fairly close games last year so a little more focus and concentration on fundamentals should make this a decent year.
koolaid for the house

1. Northwestern will have 17 new starters.
2. Iowa is losing 5 dudes to the NFL draft and most of the front 7 on defense.
3. Buffalo has lost 9 offensive starters.
4. Michigan State has turned over their whole roster.
5. Illinois will basically have a completely new collection of offensive players running a completely new offense.
6. Purdue didn't really have any old guys worth salvaging. The extra year doesn't really matter for them.
7. Michigan isn't really benefiting from the added year either.

Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are the teams benefiting the most from the extra season.

- Wisconsin gets WRs Danny Davis and Kendrick Pryor back. Neither dude is overly dynamic or even really a weapon, but the Badgers receiving depth is terrible after those dudes. It gives Chryst an aided boost as he develops some of their younger wideouts.

- Minnesota is getting a big boost offensively. Their offensive line and Ibrahim are returning.

- Huskers obviously get one more year out of Doman, Stille, Honas, and the Safeties.

Quite sanguine about the upcoming season

given the number of upperclassmen and 9th year seniors returning, a marsupial could lead this team to 9+ wins

Last edited:

Must a lot of red kool aid poured in the bread line over here on the other side of the tracks.
Yep. I'm not sure where all this unbridled optimism we are not supposed to be having is located.

Must be on another board somewhere.

Plenty of happiness n optimism here on the free side every year!

No one loses, everybody gets a trophy, the thought police in full effect, quiet spaces, protests, shaming and name calling when someone disagrees with you.

Kind of like your typical liberal college campus.....

1. Northwestern will have 17 new starters.
2. Iowa is losing 5 dudes to the NFL draft and most of the front 7 on defense.
3. Buffalo has lost 9 offensive starters.
4. Michigan State has turned over their whole roster.
5. Illinois will basically have a completely new collection of offensive players running a completely new offense.
6. Purdue didn't really have any old guys worth salvaging. The extra year doesn't really matter for them.
7. Michigan isn't really benefiting from the added year either.

Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are the teams benefiting the most from the extra season.

- Wisconsin gets WRs Danny Davis and Kendrick Pryor back. Neither dude is overly dynamic or even really a weapon, but the Badgers receiving depth is terrible after those dudes. It gives Chryst an aided boost as he develops some of their younger wideouts.

- Minnesota is getting a big boost offensively. Their offensive line and Ibrahim are returning.

- Huskers obviously get one more year out of Doman, Stille, Honas, and the Safeties.
That’s terrible news. I was counting on the difficult schedule to excuse our typical lousy W-L record this year. But you have just convinced me we will have no excuse. Bummer.

Agree with most of this.

- I think we are going to be fun to watch for the most part on offense and will move the ball well.
- I think defense will be highly competitive and top half of league.

I think the play calling is an non issue if o-line can allow RB's to be successful, limit Martinez carries and put him in good positions to throw on 2nd and 3rd down like 2018 where it was much easier to manage him.

What really worries me related to record next year are three things

- How do you limit turnovers and still run Martinez enough and throw enough to be effective (particularly against good defenses).
- Being competent on special teams return and coverage units
- The schedule having OU and OSU (likely two top five teams) means that even if Nebraska improves a lot and plays like a legit top 20 team they are likely 0-2 with tough games against Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota (Any top 20 team would have some difficulty managing this schedule).

That is why I think clean football, exciting offense, 8-4, and the West should be the targets for 2021.

Why? We lost Wandale. We lost our best backup qb. We lost Mills. Besides that, we have the same mediocre defense and poor offense as last year. There's no reason to believe we'll be any better this year.
Catching up.....Did our backup qb not think he was good enough to beat out a qb this board thinks is bad? I find that to be an odd lack of confidence.

I dont agree on same offense. Wr talent has gone up. O line better talent and a full off season for young players unlike last year. Who knows on rb but other than that we should be better. How this translates to w/l? I have no idea. But id rather be optimistic at this point. Just not overly optimistic.

That’s terrible news. I was counting on the difficult schedule to excuse our typical lousy W-L record this year. But you have just convinced me we will have no excuse. Bummer.

I've actually made that point. Nebraska's schedule is not as difficult as some lazy pundits suggest.

Ohio State is Ohio State. They always reload.

Oklahoma will incredible in 2021.

But Wisconsin and Minnesota are the only other teams on the schedule that will be better than a year ago.

And I expect Michigan State to be terrible in 2021.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I've actually made that point. Nebraska's schedule is not as difficult as some lazy pundits suggest.

Ohio State is Ohio State. They always reload.

Oklahoma will incredible in 2021.

But Wisconsin and Minnesota are the only other teams on the schedule that will be better than a year ago.

And I expect Michigan State to be terrible in 2021.

Michigan has to be better than last year too. But of course not good enough to knock tOSU and Penn St from the top 2 spots in the East..

Michigan has to be better than last year too. But of course not good enough to knock tOSU and Penn St from the top 2 spots in the East..

I disagree. They're switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4. Historically speaking, programs don't succeed in year one with that type of significant shift. They also don't really have a QB.

Special Teams will turn around with improved depth and an actual focus on it. Penalties and Turnovers kinda go hand in hand if you think about it. Both are a product of trying too hard. I think with better execution on the line, we will see both go down this year. AM shouldnt be trying to win games on his own, which he has proven he cant do. he needs help. His best year was his freshman year, when he had his best line and RB/WR combo.

Lol, thanks for keeping it real. I’d rather go through all of summer and fall just expecting the wheels to fall off, being pissed in anticipation of what will happen then be hopeful that the coaches have seen the same things we have and are attempting to put a more disciplined product on the field.

Yep, my summer will suck anytime I think about what could happen this fall. No two ways about it. And before this post of yours I was gonna hope for the best. You’ve been very helpful.
Why does it make people upset that there is optimism in some of the fan base? It’s the off season, and there is optimism in every single college football fanbase in the country. That’s what the off season is for
I absolutely agree there should be optimism heading into a new year, that's what makes college athletics great, imo, that there's always somewhat-legitimate points to be made as to why this year will be different. I for one am hoping to be pleasantly surprised this year. Intent of the OP was to say "don't let it piss you off when what the local media is feeding you doesn't come to fruition" because there are still some real foundational things that need fixed.

But cmon I'm not telling anyone to not get excited for next year. What would be the point in being a fan then?

Catching up.....Did our backup qb not think he was good enough to beat out a qb this board thinks is bad? I find that to be an odd lack of confidence.
We have terrible qb depth. We saw what happened every other year we've had terrible qb depth. If Martinez goes down at all this season, we're royally screwed.

I think the point he is trying to make is even with those gaudy statistics, it was a close game on the scoreboard because of the things he mentions.
Exactly. Rutgers and Purdue should not have been contests last year. Handily defeating teams you are supposed to defeat, is a sign of a focused, disciplined, and able team.

The same folks who say "stop crying about a win" are the same ones who don't understand why we can't get more of them. If you want to compete in nationally relevant games again, you've got to prove some superiority before then. Haven't done that since Bo's heyday.

ADVERTISEMENT