ADVERTISEMENT

Because music CAN make us feel better....

Never been that excited about the Dead, unlike my Bay Area spouse. Spent too much $$ to get front row center seats to see Jerry Garcia at a theater in Seattle. (Okay, in his defense within months he had huge medical problem). The playlist seemed to be one LONG unending song.....I found the crowd much more interesting than the music. (where on earth did these people come from? a very strange assortment of folks). Did I mention that the music seemed to be one LONG song......?

I was much happier listening to this .....

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Never been that excited about the Dead, unlike my Bay Area spouse. Spent too much $$ to get front row center seats to see Jerry Garcia at a theater in Seattle. (Okay, in his defense within months he had huge medical problem). The playlist seemed to be one LONG unending song.....I found the crowd much more interesting than the music. (where on earth did these people come from? a very strange assortment of folks). Did I mention that the music seemed to be one LONG song......?

I have had that “ where on earth did these people come from?” Many times but usually I was in Oklahoma

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie

This one they played live at Knickerbockers in 2007; I briefly met my heroes... i bought everything I freaking could!!

I am a MEW lover. Can't we all be frengers?

I was born in 1973.....and I only say that because sometimes I wish I could have been at the age where I could have seen those kinds of groups in their prime...or at least have a way to travel back and see them.

I did see Pink Floyd in Denver in 1994 (who were still pretty damn good), and Lynyrd Skynyrd in Kearney in 2016 (got it done as well)....but, as great as those were, I'd love to be able to see the Dead, or the Doors, or Jimi Hendrix back in the day.

Growing up in the Denver area, Barry Fey was the big concert promoter. He was the guy that got Led Zeppelin to Denver in what was their first concert in North America (Queen's first US show was in Denver as well, but as an opening act in 1974......Ozzy Osbourne also claimed to have tried cocaine for the first time in a Denver hotel room in 1971...quite the legacy for rock and roll Denver is). Booked a lot of the heavyweights of the late 60s, 70, 80s and into the mid-90s. When he finally retired, he kind of sensed that an era was ending, and that was a factor in his decision. Not that there aren't talented people today, but I'd agree.
Somewhere down the line in the late 70s early 80s, the producers figured out that the general masses arent music lovers, nor have the capacity to appreciate musicianship. Enter the "Star machine"

Some people dont have musical ears. I am positive you were treated to around 20 diverse songs that day!

I agree if you listen to Tedeschi tracks, but when she played with her husband at Red Rocks the combination of the two was far different. The songs went on and on and on. I made a joke to my wife and friends who were there with me that they had been playing for one and a half hours and had only played 3 songs.
I see what you’re saying and for the most part agree. I think my definition/vision of “jam band” may be a little different. A long song alone, although technically a jam, is for me less of a qualifier than the way the band is actually playing the music. If they’re loose, all over the place, and clearly shooting from the hip, that’s a jam band. If they’re tight, showing restraint, and always on the same page, they may be jamming, but it’s not in a jam band style.

As I type this, I’m thinking to myself what the hell are you talking about. I’m sure it looks/reads kind of funny, but I do think it makes sense.

Maybe this is a better way to put it. I listened to some live Phish this morning on the way to work. Clearly a jam and at points a bit off the rails. I don’t know that I’ve heard Tedeschi Trucks, even in their most animated state, get that far out there.

In any case, probably semantics. I dig music. Jam or otherwise. Fun to talk about. Fun to listen to.

Jam bands collectively improvise. If you have the ear to acknowledge the musical conversation happening, it is more engaging than hearing rehearsed parts beaten into oblivion.

Jam bands collectively improvise. If you have the ear to acknowledge the musical conversation happening, it is more engaging than hearing rehearsed parts beaten into oblivion.
Agreed. That being said, some are better at it than others, and perhaps that’s what my previous rambling post was getting at. I think you can jam without it sounding like a jam.

Agreed. That being said, some are better at it than others, and perhaps that’s what my previous rambling post was getting at. I think you can jam without it sounding like a jam.
Exactly. See my "Matt's funk" video posted earlier on by Jimmy Herring band. Skilled jazz/funk improv with no deviation, yet wildly tasteful and exotic phrasing

Damn good. You listen to any Scofield or Soulive?
You bet. Followed Phil Lesh and friends for a while when they had scofield, warren haynes, jackie green, and jason crosby. Also seen scofields band überjam a few times as well. I'm a lifelong musician, I've seen loads of the great ones.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT