ADVERTISEMENT

Because music CAN make us feel better....

Here is a good live version of a song about Jerry Lee.

They don't call me the killer for nothing
Dangerous methamphetamine buzzin
Crazy enough to marry my 1st cousin

Touched by the devil, paranoid hell raiser
F*** Chuck Berry, I'm the real trail blazer

The whole Europe 72 live album is just masterful. Absolutely a must listen for a music lover. Pure Americana.
I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for the recommendation.

My Grateful Dead knowledge is limited, despite growing up 5 minutes away from Red Rocks and 45 minutes from Boulder, where they played many a show. A friend at college had the American Beauty CD, which I thought was great (and still do). That was my major introduction to the Dead, aside from "Touch of Grey" when it came out....which gives me an idea....

Last edited:
I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for the recommendation.

My Grateful Dead knowledge is limited, despite growing up 5 minutes away from Red Rocks and 45 minutes from Boulder, where they played many a show. A friend at college had the American Beauty CD, which I thought was great (and still do). That was my major introduction to the Dead, aside from "Touch of Grey" when it came out....which gives me an idea....
I love turning people on to the dead. Gotta be the most misunderstood band of all time. I don't think people are aware of their timeless catalog of over 150 originals. Europe 72 gets a lot of people to listen closer.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I love turning people on to the dead. Gotta be the most misunderstood band of all time. I don't think people are aware of their timeless catalog of over 150 originals. Europe 72 gets a lot of people to listen closer.
I'd agree on them being misunderstood......

Went to Cleveland in June of 2018. Got a good look at one of Jerry's guitars. Not my picture, but this one was on display.....

rosebudguitar.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRedRising
I'd agree on them being misunderstood......

Went to Cleveland in June of 2018. Got a good look at one of Jerry's guitars. Not my picture, but this one was on display.....

rosebudguitar.png

What do you guys think is misunderstood about them though? I just don’t like them because their music does nothing for me...it’s not because I think they are void of vision/talent.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
What do you guys think is misunderstood about them though? I just don’t like them because their music does nothing for me...it’s not because I think they are void of vision/talent.
I won't speak for anyone else....but growing up, I had always heard that they were punk rockers (which they obviously aren't), or that it was psychedelic noise with no organization to it.

With that being said, everyone has their personal tastes. I read a Rolling Stone article a few years ago (I think to correspond with the Dead's 50th anniversary). Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane stated that she was a bigger fan of the Grateful Dead as people than she was of their music...and it wasn't that she didn't like their music; she was just more into harder rock.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I've never met someone who has actually listened to more than the few radio cuts, who doesn't like them. People think they know what their music is, but dont know they have covered every genre extensively, classical, cowboy, jazz, blues, gospel, rock bluegrass, jug music you name it. They are all about collective improvisation, no other band before or after are quite like that. Some jam bands try, but none have the musicianship of the dead. If you dont know who Robert Hunter is, you cant say you've heard enough to form an opinion. The guy wrote the last great american songs.

I've never met someone who has actually listened to more than the few radio cuts, who doesn't like them. People think they know what their music is, but dont know they have covered every genre extensively, classical, cowboy, jazz, blues, gospel, rock bluegrass, jug music you name it. They are all about collective improvisation, no other band before or after are quite like that. Some jam bands try, but none have the musicianship of the dead. If you dont know who Robert Hunter is, you cant say you've heard enough to form an opinion. The guy wrote the last great american songs.

Okay, so no one can not like them? Noted.

Go stir shit with someone as dumb as you sir.

Wow...I’m not even sure where I was trying to “stir shit.” You assumed that anyone who doesn’t like them doesn’t understand them. Then you attempted to condescend by throwing out a wiki page. Get some thicker skin fella. If someone not liking your music fires you up this much, I can only imagine how real life treats you. Hope no one “insults” you the rest of this weekend fella.

Reactions: Swiv3D
Wow...I’m not even sure where I was trying to “stir shit.” You assumed that anyone who doesn’t like them doesn’t understand them. Then you attempted to condescend by throwing out a wiki page. Get some thicker skin fella. If someone not liking your music fires you up this much, I can only imagine how real life treats you. Hope no one “insults” you the rest of this weekend fella.
Saying I've never met anyone ,does not mean anyone or everyone pal. You came in to start shit. No respect for idiots like yourself. Look at your introduction to this thread. The first douchebag post in an otherwise positive thread. A trend with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT