ADVERTISEMENT

Beating a dead horse

CatColumbia

All-American
Apr 19, 2014
One day in Lincoln, the next day in Orlando
Apologies in advance guys for beating a dead horse. I was listening to the Nebraska Red Zone this morning on my way to work and Wandale Robinson was brought up in the recruiting update conversation. Apparently, according to recruiting insider Mike Sass, there was no money involved. Basically the kid was going to commit to us. Right before the day of announcing, Frost spoke with a handler of Robinson's and apparently things got pretty heated between the two because Wandale wanted to take Spielman's Duck-R position next year and Frost told him no. Troy Walters then stepped in and calmed things down a bit but this caused Wandale to lose the "trust" in Frost because he felt he was mislead. Sass doesn't believe that this is over and thinks that we are going to continue to recruit the kid until signing day.
I just can't see him going to Kentucky's pathetic offense but either way, I don't really care at this point. Just thought I'd share.

Well I hope NU lands him.

That said, I trust Frost to handle the program and players. If NU gets the kid great. If not, Frost will get someone else. Hopefully the kid matures a bit and comes here

Well, what would be the problem? If he is good enough to take JD's spot, go for it :p I mean I'm sure our staff would take who is likely to be if not the best one of the top 2 or 3 best receivers we've ever had and bench him for a freshman who has never taken a snap in college. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
Apologies in advance guys for beating a dead horse. I was listening to the Nebraska Red Zone this morning on my way to work and Wandale Robinson was brought up in the recruiting update conversation. Apparently, according to recruiting insider Mike Sass, there was no money involved. Basically the kid was going to commit to us. Right before the day of announcing, Frost spoke with a handler of Robinson's and apparently things got pretty heated between the two because Wandale wanted to take Spielman's Duck-R position next year and Frost told him no. Troy Walters then stepped in and calmed things down a bit but this caused Wandale to lose the "trust" in Frost because he felt he was mislead. Sass doesn't believe that this is over and thinks that we are going to continue to recruit the kid until signing day.
I just can't see him going to Kentucky's pathetic offense but either way, I don't really care at this point. Just thought I'd share.

That makes no sense.

Outside of Spielman going to the NFL who would believe that’s a reasonable scenario?

Did any respected reporter actually say that money was involved? Or was it only speculation by Nebraska fans?

Reactions: Sinomatic
If you are good enough to make an impact, Coach Frost will find a way to get you on the field and get the ball in your hands. You don't need to be guaranteed anything, guys like Spielman and Robinson can play together.

Reactions: CatColumbia
If this is the case and there was no money involved and it is simply a trust issue. Yes I hope we keep pursuing him. I think we would still have a great shot to smooth things over and get him back.

If you are good enough to make an impact, Coach Frost will find a way to get you on the field and get the ball in your hands. You don't need to be guaranteed anything, guys like Spielman and Robinson can play together.
I just can't believe this type of conversation would happen the night before. I would have assumed this would have all been hashed out long ago.

If this is the case and there was no money involved and it is simply a trust issue. Yes I hope we keep pursuing him. I think we would still have a great shot to smooth things over and get him back.

I’d feel better if we weren’t going up against Vince Morrow. He cuddles his guys. I believe that both Spielman and Robinson could co-exist. I’m sure that Robinson felt a lot of hometown pressure to commit to UK in a ceremonial manner. Who knows, don’t be surprised things change in the coming weeks.

I’d feel better if we weren’t going up against Vince Morrow. He cuddles his guys. I believe that both Spielman and Robinson could co-exist. I’m sure that Robinson felt a lot of hometown pressure to commit to UK in a ceremonial manner. Who knows, don’t be surprised things change in the coming weeks.
Hopefully the bridge hasn’t been burned.

Well, what would be the problem? If he is good enough to take JD's spot, go for it :p I mean I'm sure our staff would take who is likely to be if not the best one of the top 2 or 3 best receivers we've ever had and bench him for a freshman who has never taken a snap in college. What could possibly go wrong with that?

You're not wrong necessarily, but I think the principle at issue here is entitlement; a kid coming in saying he wants a guaranteed spot without earning it based on talent alone sounds a lot like Tyjon Lindsey and Tristan Gebbia. And Frost really can't stand players like that, thankfully.

Oregon, where Frost's offense is rooted the most, was built on 3 star players exploiting their own talents and other teams weaknesses plus speed; they got 4 star players later, but this scheme does not require that. See UCF as well. I think Frost looks at it like, we're going to be good regardless of one rock star player, so I would rather build the team with players that want to be a part of the team rather than players that want a spotlight on their short stop before the NFL draft.

I just can't believe this type of conversation would happen the night before. I would have assumed this would have all been hashed out long ago.

Makes perfect sense. Guy getting pulled by family and girl to go to local school. Frost has already told Robinson he can come in and compete for the starting job. Robinson knows this and as a way to save face, he has his family friend call Frost and ask for the guarantee. Frost says no, kid can now choose Kentucky, leaving room for a switch to another school since it is 45 days until signing day.

Thank God young Mr. Wandale doesn't have his sights set on our Quarterback position.

Lets discuss the fact that this kid, or any kid for that matter has a "handler". It sounds like mafia stuff.
Yeah, I love it, I always get a chuckle. It sounds like the player is a caged animal and their person is taking care of them. But, referring to their person as “agent” wouldn’t be any better for the player.

Many of our fans acted like idiots on Twitter and he took notice.
I would hope a few idiotic fans would not help or hurt a kids life choices. Unfortunately in this sport players every moves and choices are scrutinized. Social media just makes it 10 times worse. Most of these kids have been on some for of social media since elementary school. I hope by now they have learned to ignore most of the stuff. IF they haven't they better learn quick, because it is going to be non stop from here on out.

Reactions: Earn898
Many of our fans acted like idiots on Twitter and he took notice.

If his decision to come to NU is in anyway influenced by our fans and not the relationship that he has established with Frost and his staff then all I can say is I feel sorry for the young man. He will have missed out on a great opportunity.

Reactions: SkerInCo
IF this is the true story, then Jim Rose and Sean C have some splainin to do. They insinuated some serious allegations which if not factual, really tarnish their credibility

I hope you meant "coddles?" If you actually meant "cuddles" then this is a far different recruiting battle than I had bargained for.

Perhaps Marrow should be on Harbaugh's staff? Perhaps he already has been? LOL, j/k... kind of.

Sounds ridiculous that the "handler" (Uncle Handler?) called to request that one of NU's best offensive skill players change positions for a kid who hasn't played a down of P5 football. If it did happen, I agree with Tuco that is was a ploy to scotch any plan to go to NU and the kid wanted a reason to say no. Which is stupid, the kid could just say he wanted to stay closer to home. Sounds immature. How will the kid react if/when things get tough and success doesn't come right away?
Talented kid, maybe a little soft in the bean, and if the Uncle Handler story is correct, the adults in his "camp" are also a little soft in the bean.

Sounds ridiculous that the "handler" (Uncle Handler?) called to request that one of NU's best offensive skill players change positions for a kid who hasn't played a down of P5 football. If it did happen, I agree with Tuco that is was a ploy to scotch any plan to go to NU and the kid wanted a reason to say no. Which is stupid, the kid could just say he wanted to stay closer to home. Sounds immature. How will the kid react if/when things get tough and success doesn't come right away?
Talented kid, maybe a little soft in the bean, and if the Uncle Handler story is correct, the adults in his "camp" are also a little soft in the bean.
Uncle Handler with the big toe ...

well lots of speculation in here, so I'll add mine

I think when the situation warrants it, Scott is ok to make a guarantee of playing time or position. If the situation warrants it. (and that is a limited situation)

Now, there is no way on this earth, would anyone with a sound mind make that kind of guarantee, especially when you have a known commodity in JD.

It's just asinine to even think that is remotely a possibility.

So could it be cover as Tuco implies, maybe, but I am not sure people are that smart to play chess to begin with. Most people play checkers, so I'm guessing it's some other sort of communication issue.

TBH, I am not worried about it either way.. wandale schmandale

well lots of speculation in here, so I'll add mine

I think when the situation warrants it, Scott is ok to make a guarantee of playing time or position. If the situation warrants it. (and that is a limited situation)

Now, there is no way on this earth, would anyone with a sound mind make that kind of guarantee, especially when you have a known commodity in JD.

It's just asinine to even think that is remotely a possibility.

So could it be cover as Tuco implies, maybe, but I am not sure people are that smart to play chess to begin with. Most people play checkers, so I'm guessing it's some other sort of communication issue.

TBH, I am not worried about it either way.. wandale schmandale

This. We already have three running backs in the 2019 class anyway. One is a big rumbler JUCO player, and two are speed guys. I get that Wandale is very talented, but its not like we're going to be screwed. Mo Washington is going to be a star, by the way, and behind him we have Bradley, Jones, and Mazour on roster right now.

If this is true, we don't need/want guys who are afraid of competition.

Why is it always guys afraid of competition? That is such low hanging fruit. Most of these top recruits seek out camps where there are hundreds of guys that are top recruits as well. They go there to compete against the best. Because a guy chooses to go to Kentucky or whatever, doesn't mean he is afraid of competition. In my experience, it is a way to find out just how valuable the school thinks the player is to their program.

Why is it always guys afraid of competition? That is such low hanging fruit. Most of these top recruits seek out camps where there are hundreds of guys that are top recruits as well. They go there to compete against the best. Because a guy chooses to go to Kentucky or whatever, doesn't mean he is afraid of competition. In my experience, it is a way to find out just how valuable the school thinks the player is to their program.
I took mohuskers comment to mean a guaranteed starting position rather than competing for it.

Referencing the op statement

Reactions: headcard
I took mohuskers comment to mean a guaranteed starting position rather than competing for it.

Referencing the op statement

So am I. They want to see if the coach values them enough to actually guarantee the spot. It's all about leverage. Some guys have it, some don't. The only way to find out if you have it is to try and use it.

Most of the guys that have played at our high school, that have gone on to P5 programs, have all thrived on competition, not ran from it or were scared of it. Some of them asked the college coach if they would be starting their freshman year. Some coaches say things like, that is what I am counting on, or something along those lines, while others say things like, you will be given an opportunity to earn your playing time. In neither case, is the player afraid of the competition, the player just wants to know where they stand.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Notice, I said "if true" if they asked Frost to move JD for his commitment, I would take that as a player afraid of competition. Camps don't determine your playing time so going to a camp with top competition does not validate your argument.

That may be true, but at the end of the day a ton of kids go where they are going to have guaranteed playing time, and are actually scared of competition because they want to play. I don't 100% fault them, but a lot of these kids actually don't want to compete internally and are looking for a spot where they are guaranteed to compete externally.

That may be true, but at the end of the day a ton of kids go where they are going to have guaranteed playing time, and are actually scared of competition because they want to play. I don't 100% fault them, but a lot of these kids actually don't want to compete internally and are looking for a spot where they are guaranteed to compete externally.

I disagree, these kids are harder on themselves than most of their coaches will be. They hate to be shown up and will bust their ass to not be shown up. Going to a school with a short depth chart at your position doesn't mean you are afraid to compete. Again, low hanging fruit.

Notice, I said "if true" if they asked Frost to move JD for his commitment, I would take that as a player afraid of competition. Camps don't determine your playing time so going to a camp with top competition does not validate your argument.

If what is true? That the uncle asked Frost to move Spielman? That doesn't change what I am talking about. Guys who are elite at what they do have both big egos and low self esteem. They need a lot of validation, even when they win or are playing well. Asking a coach for a guaranteed starting spot is the same thing.

While camps don't determine playing time, in many cases they determine who recruits you. Guys afraid of competition will let their high school stats talk for them, they don't seek out Elite 11 camps or go to an Opening regional camp.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT