ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball program

Oahe

Walk On
Dec 10, 2012
Could it get any worse? Not sure I see anymore that a couple of conference wins. Its amazing the support our fans give considering the product. BTW Shields will not be playing in the NBA Mr. Miles.

Reactions: Closer21
Could it get any worse?.

Yep, we are about to go play a hot Iowa team on the road.

Not sure I see anymore that a couple of conference wins.

Maybe 3.

BTW Shields will not be playing in the NBA Mr. Miles.

I don't think anyone expects thst to happen. The NBA is all about individual talent. If TP didn't make it, Shields isn't. But that's ok, he will be Dr. Shields in a few years, and I'm sure Mom and Dad will be quite happy with that.

You know your program's in trouble when the coach gets excited when his guys "play hard". Shouldn't that be a given?

The answer.
062514_tylue.jpg

Could be catching Iowa at a good time...they just had two huge emotional wins so this spot could be a bit of a let down.

The answer.
062514_tylue.jpg

I doubt he'd take the job when he was allegedly very close to replacing Blatt last year had they fired him.

Honest question. Does he have his degree since he left early? Is a degree a requirement?

I doubt he'd take the job when he was allegedly very close to replacing Blatt last year had they fired him.

Honest question. Does he have his degree since he left early? Is a degree a requirement?

They are often times a "requirement"...I forget who it was but a head coach a few years back took the job and while coaching had to complete his degree too.

I agree, Lue will be tough to pull from the NBA. I like the fact he is young, and well respected in the league.

Lue will likely be an NBA head coach next year. He has no interest in coaching Nebrasketball.

The perfect fit would have been Dana Altman, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Could be catching Iowa at a good time...they just had two huge emotional wins so this spot could be a bit of a let down.

Iowa had its best week in hoops in a long, long time. Hawks start 4 seniors and a junior, and it shows. You are correct in that Iowa may likely come out a bit flat. Kids pay attention and know that Nebraska isn't Michigan State or Purdue. Anything can happen, however. If Nebraska makes some jumpers, game could stay tight into the second half. Perhaps Iowa gets tight if that happens.

I like some of the talent Miles has brought in (Watson, Morrow, McVeigh, etc.) but new guys take time to play at a high level, unless they are elite-level talents. White has adapted to B1G play very well. Huskers will struggle to win a lot of conference games until they get some size, just my opinion.

Reactions: jay-cheese
They do like to press and run. I give Fran a lot of credit and I am not a fan of him but he has done a better job than I thought he would at Iowa
If Fran was coaching at Nebraska, we'd have had hundreds of posters saying he can't get it done and would have had him fired.

He is the perfect case where it takes a guy some time to install his offense and get the right type of players to fit his system.

If Fran was coaching at Nebraska, we'd have had hundreds of posters saying he can't get it done and would have had him fired.

He is the perfect case where it takes a guy some time to install his offense and get the right type of players to fit his system.

Fran has improved every season as Iowa coach. I would think Nebrasketball, and any lower tier basketball program for that matter, would love that kind of progression.

Fran has improved every season as Iowa coach. I would think Nebrasketball, and any lower tier basketball program for that matter, would love that kind of progression.
I don't remember his records at Iowa but I thought they seemed to do a bit better each year, in conference at least.

Yep, we are about to go play a hot Iowa team on the road.

Maybe 3.

I don't think anyone expects thst to happen. The NBA is all about individual talent. If TP didn't make it, Shields isn't. But that's ok, he will be Dr. Shields in a few years, and I'm sure Mom and Dad will be quite happy with that.
Petteway's going to play in the NBA. It's just a matter of time with the way he's played in the D-League.

I would love Tyronn Lue to come back but he makes $6.75 milllion dollars a year coaching Lebron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love. He isn't going to take a 3 million dollar paycut to come to Lincoln and coach.

Could it get any worse? Not sure I see anymore that a couple of conference wins. Its amazing the support our fans give considering the product. BTW Shields will not be playing in the NBA Mr. Miles.
Shields isn't even our best player. I have him 3rd behind White and Watson. 4th if you count Anton Gill.

I would love Tyronn Lue to come back but he makes $6.75 milllion dollars a year coaching Lebron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love. He isn't going to take a 3 million dollar paycut to come to Lincoln and coach.

He does not make 6.5 million a year. That is over a 4 year contract. So it would be a pay raise.

Hypothetical, say John Calipari calls the AD and says I want a new challenge, say he takes same money as Miles. would Neb leadership have the #£|£\€ to play by the big boy rules in CBB or desire

13th straight road loss. Check. 12 straight Big Ten loss. Check. 2 million dollar paycheck. Check. Must be nice.

13th straight road loss. Check. 12 straight Big Ten loss. Check. 2 million dollar paycheck. Check. Must be nice.
If we go 11-21 which would be my guess, He will not deserve another year, however I don't think he gets fired for another couple of years regardless of what our win loss record is.

If we go 11-21 which would be my guess, He will not deserve another year, however I don't think he gets fired for another couple of years regardless of what our win loss record is.
It will be interesting to see if he can keep the key parts in Lincoln after this year. As of next year....he should start feeling the pressure to produce.

When NU invested millions in the basketball program, they did so with the hope of reaching new levels. They did just that - NU has now lost 12 straight conference games - something I don't believe they've ever done.

Now, to be fair, Danny Nee's run of NCAA bids began in his 5th year. His 4th year was pretty bad with a young team. So Miles surely deserves a 5th year. Hopefully he can keep the young guys from transferring out. Roster turnover has been a problem for him.

When NU invested millions in the basketball program, they did so with the hope of reaching new levels. They did just that - NU has now lost 12 straight conference games - something I don't believe they've ever done.

Now, to be fair, Danny Nee's run of NCAA bids began in his 5th year. His 4th year was pretty bad with a young team. So Miles surely deserves a 5th year. Hopefully he can keep the young guys from transferring out. Roster turnover has been a problem for him.

13 consecutive conference losses is the longest we have gone without a W. So Miles has 1 more game to keep his name out of the record book. Luckily, we play Rutgers who has lost 17 straight conference games. Unfortunatly, we play them on the road where Miles hasn't delievered a W in 13 straight games. .

posted in another thread

but for the 2015-2016 conference seasons - for the major revenue sports (Football + Basketball) -

Nebraska is in the conversation of worst combined FB-MBB program in the conference

football - 3 conference wins
basketball - jason pierre paul will be able to count our conf wins on one hand

who is worse in the conference --- ? rutgers

posted in another thread

but for the 2015-2016 conference seasons - for the major revenue sports (Football + Basketball) -

Nebraska is in the conversation of worst combined FB-MBB program in the conference

football - 3 conference wins
basketball - jason pierre paul will be able to count our conf wins on one hand

who is worse in the conference --- ? rutgers

Minnesota and Rutgers. Add in baseball and we finished 8th place in the Big Ten last year. Our Men's programs have been garbage.

13 consecutive conference losses is the longest we have gone without a W. So Miles has 1 more game to keep his name out of the record book. Luckily, we play Rutgers who has lost 17 straight conference games. Unfortunatly, we play them on the road where Miles hasn't delievered a W in 13 straight games. .

When did we lose 13 straight? Not doubting you - just wondering.

When did we lose 13 straight? Not doubting you - just wondering.

This was from the OWH yesterday....

"The current Big Ten skid is 11 games — the final nine last season and the first two this season.

That is believed to be the second-longest in school history. World-Herald research shows a 13-game skid, encompassing the last six Big Six Conference games in 1943-44 and the first seven in 1944-45, as the longest. There was a 10-game streak in 1963-64 (last four) and 1964-65 (first six)."

Either way...a black eye for our two million dollar man as he is 1 game a way from accomplishing a losing streak that has not happened 60 years.

Iowa fan here.

Think Nebraska has some really good players on that team right now and some good pieces in Morrow and White. Think they really need to find a big that can play some post D and rebound. Seems to be the only spot they have really struggled to recruit well.

Think Miles is a good coach but your teams makes some very strange errors and plays at times.

Stinks that we don't get to come to Lincoln this year; loved the new arena.

How come The Ginger hasn't put out a statement of support for Coach Miles as he builds the program "one brick at a time"?

If he doesn't go 2-1 with @ Rutgers, at home vs Minny, and @ Illini then he needs to have "the talk" with SE.

Remaining schedule:

@Rutgers
Minn
@Illini
@ Sparty Loss
Michigan Loss
@Purdue Loss
Terrapins Loss
Rutgers
@Wisky Loss
Penn St
@ IU Loss