ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Commit - Bakari Evelyn

Watching film is the only way to judge unless someone has traveled to watch them play in person. His shot looks better, his off-hand is stronger and he has a better frame. One aspect Tarin seems to have over Bakari is leaping.

As for the 2 spot vs PG, we'll find out this fall.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Watching film is the only way to judge unless someone has traveled to watch them play in person. His shot looks better, his off-hand is stronger and he has a better frame. One aspect Tarin seems to have over Bakari is leaping.

As for the 2 spot vs PG, we'll find out this fall.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Hopefully his game decision are better than Tarin's too. Tarin made some middle school mistakes sometimes like dribbling across the half court line only to pick up his dribble right across the line on top against a trap. Yikes. My daughter's girl's team knows better than to do that.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Hopefully his game decision are better than Tarin's too. Tarin made some middle school mistakes sometimes like dribbling across the half court line only to pick up his dribble right across the line on top against a trap. Yikes. My daughter's girl's team knows better than to do that.
True that, but that's not even the worst of it. I've seen several Huskers cross half-court on the outer 2/3 of the floor... routinely. Well, that's exactly what a trapping defense wants you to do. Then, of course, our guys would pick up their dribble. And yes, a good middle school or high school team can be coached not to do that. Dribble across the middle 1/3 or pass it across.

Then there's the standard inbound the ball vs. full court pressure by passing it to the open man in the ball-side deep corner... that always goes over well! NU almost lost a game two years ago by melting down against a team that trapped the first pass in the back court. Can't remember who that was against.

Originally posted by Dean Pope:
Originally posted by dinglefritz:
True that, but that's not even the worst of it. I've seen several Huskers cross half-court on the outer 2/3 of the floor... routinely. Well, that's exactly what a trapping defense wants you to do. Then, of course, our guys would pick up their dribble. And yes, a good middle school or high school team can be coached not to do that. Dribble across the middle 1/3 or pass it across.

Then there's the standard inbound the ball vs. full court pressure by passing it to the open man in the ball-side deep corner... that always goes over well! NU almost lost a game two years ago by melting down against a team that trapped the first pass in the back court. Can't remember who that was against.
At the college level IF you are going to dribble across half court against a trapping team, you had better have a plan and you better NEVER pick up your dribble right across the line. If you have to dribble it across you need to be full steam ahead with your head up looking for a place to pass it. I would rather a kid turn the ball over trying to split the double team while going full steam ahead rather than pick up the dribble and get trapped. At least IF you get through the double you likely have a layup or easy pass to somebody else for a layup. Many times slitting the double you are going to pick up a foul on the D. I saw Smith several times pick up his dribble right across the line. Outer third is bad but middle isn't much better if you are going to pick up the ball.

Yeah, but that whole team last year was making middle-school mistakes, not just Tarin.

Look, I'm not trying to defend Tarin here. In the grand scheme of things, his transfer is fairly meaningless. His job was to defer though. The times the scouting report dictated giving him slightly more prominent role, he did some good things. There were stretches where he was the 2nd or 3rd best player on the court for us. Not to mention, he shot just over a 33% clip from beyond the arc, the best among rotational players. I think he has a fairly bright future. It would not shock me if he went on to have a good collegiate career somewhere else. At any rate, I wish him luck.

Anyway, it's hard not to be excited about Watson. What if he came in here and produced like Lue did as a frosh, put up 8.5 ppg and dish out 144 dimes? Maybe he will put up the points, but the 144 assists will be a lot tougher passing to Shavon and White rather than Strickland, Mikki, Badgett, and Boone.

This post was edited on 4/19 3:43 PM by Ragnar_Lodbrok

Originally posted by Ragnar_Lodbrok:

There were stretches where he was the 2nd or 3rd best player on the court for us.
That doesn't say so much for Tarin Smith.

Originally posted by Ragnar_Lodbrok:

Not to mention, he shot just over a 33% clip from beyond the arc, the best among rotational players. I think he has a fairly bright future. It would not shock me if he went on to have a good collegiate career somewhere else. At any rate, I wish him luck.
33% is pretty much a meaningless stat considering he attempted 30, making 10. He was on pace to make one more than Benny Parker (12-41) and a little better than Tai Webster four more than Tai Webster (12-52). Matter of fact, I think Tai was around 33% or slightly higher before a seven or eight game stretch did him in. I may be wrong but pretty sure it was close.

ADVERTISEMENT