ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Commit - Bakari Evelyn

Harry Caray

Athletic Director
Feb 28, 2002
Don't know much about him, other than he's another point guard. Kind of surprising considering we need big guys and outside shooters.

Mike Edwards, the 6-10 guy who visited last week, committed to Georgia.

With Evelyn and Watson that gives us some solid point guards for the near future. Looking for another scoring guard and a big post yet. Disappointed Edwards chose Georgia.

Just reading the HOL article, hopefully he can play some minutes at the 2 , in addition to playing the point. This team needs a scorer.

Originally posted by Harry Caray:

Kind of surprising considering we need big guys and outside shooters.
Well, considering we just lost a PG, it shouldn't surprise anyone that one was added.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

Well, considering we just lost a PG, it shouldn't surprise anyone that one was added.
True but we have a Top 100 PG coming in next year and Parker and Webster coming back. Adding an unranked PG with no major offers is a bit surprising to me. Hopefully he is a diamond in the rough.

Webster was moved to the 2 last year, he's not a PG unless there's foul trouble. See this past season as 30 games of proof. (And what I told y'all last spring/summer). One PG doesn't cut it, Parker has a year left, that's it.

Nobody would say a word had Tarin Smith been asked to stay. He wasnt, and Miles replaced him with a clone. Actually, and keep in my I'm a TS fan, I like what Bakari shows on film. Real close to TS except Bakari looks more fluid with better skills using his off hand.

Here's what a buddy texted me earlier from some Michigan site:

Evelyn, who would have been the top senior from the Metro Detroit area this coming school year, is transferring away to Arizona where he will be attending Gilbert Christian. Gilbert Christian is coached by former Detroit Country Day coaching legend Kurt Keener... Easily the top player in Class D and a lock for at least a Mr. Basketball finalist mention, Evelyn still had room to make his name bigger than it already was.

Michigan and Oklahoma State were showing late interest, maybe it was pure fluff I don't know. What I do know is, we lost a PG and replaced him with someone equal to or slightly better.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

True but we have a Top 100 PG coming in next year and Parker and Webster coming back. Adding an unranked PG with no major offers is a bit surprising to me. Hopefully he is a diamond in the rough.
As a junior before he moved to a new school and couldn't play he was receiving interest from many blue blood programs like Kansas and Kentucky. That is not to say if he had played his senior year he would have gotten offers from them. But a program like Nebraska is short a PG late in the recruiting cycle either leaves that PG position open or takes some chances. I see him as a high risk, high reward type player. Might be great, might not

Unfortunately for us, Watson was going to be our only true PG - Webster and Parker are not. We needed another as we had ZERO playmaker/distributers last season.

Any idea if Hunter was in on some big guys at Georgetown that are now transferring? I don't necessarily mean Gtown players but guys he was recruiting while a Hoyas coach. I haven't checked the transfer list lately...

I was hoping Octavius Ellis would get released from Cincy. Or that 6'10" PF that left Rhode Island, I belive he's from Michigan. Dominic Woodson is another name, no ihes if he's landed anywhere but he was highly regardes

Agreed. Two point guards in the same class is an obvious head scratcher, especially if Watson is the real deal. Webster can easily play back up point as can Parker. That said, this kid sounds like a player. It could be a deal where he is the best player available. Transferred schools once or twice, he could have slipped through the cracks.

Sounds like a driver to me rather than a shooter so I wouldn't expect him to help stretch the defense if he plays some two guard if Miles, like Sadler before him, plays more small ball. He's great off the screen & roll though so Evelyn would be a great fit if Miles stays with the current screen & roll game for the vast majority of their offense.

Webster was moved to the 2 last year, he's not a PG unless there's foul trouble. See this past season as 30 games of proof. (And what I told y'all last spring/summer). One PG doesn't cut it, Parker has a year left, that's it.

Nobody would say a word had Tarin Smith been asked to stay. He wasnt, and Miles replaced him with a clone. Actually, and keep in my I'm a TS fan, I like what Bakari shows on film. Real close to TS except Bakari looks more fluid with better skills using his off hand.

Here's what a buddy texted me earlier from some Michigan site:

Evelyn, who would have been the top senior from the Metro Detroit area this coming school year, is transferring away to Arizona where he will be attending Gilbert Christian. Gilbert Christian is coached by former Detroit Country Day coaching legend Kurt Keener... Easily the top player in Class D and a lock for at least a Mr. Basketball finalist mention, Evelyn still had room to make his name bigger than it already was.

Michigan and Oklahoma State were showing late interest, maybe it was pure fluff I don't know. What I do know is, we lost a PG and replaced him with someone equal to or slightly better.
Thanks for the post Tim.

Webster can't play PG, do you people actually watch games?!?
Webster can handle some backup point. Depends on the situation. Would I want him playing major minutes vs. a tough full court pressing team. Heck no. But this team has other holes too. I'd rather find a post player and pure shooter from the outside, but as I said before this kid may be the best available. He could turn out to be a damn good find.

Originally posted by ssmith84:
Allegedly, he shot 48% from 3 this year.

#Driver
I didn't see that. Most reports I've read have raved about his ability to drive & finish, and make decisions off the pick & roll. Seldom do you see a prospect who is equally good at driving and shooting. Supposedly, this kid has a funky shot but decent range. If he really shot 48% from 3, that's a pretty good sign. If he's a legit 6'2", maybe he could maybe play a little off-guard.

So you're saying you didn't want Tarin Smith to return, because that is exactly what we have in Bakari. Makes zero sense to me.

Now, if you want shooters and big men, then one should be looking at Fuller and Hammond to move on so the staff can add a shooter and a big man, neither to be projects like the 2 mentioned. When you lose a position, especially one as thin as PG, you have to replace it.

Two transfers that can fill in for pitchford i hope miles gets: Tyler harris (prov.) and rafael maia (brown)

I dont know if any have interest in us, but they would be nice additions to a lineup that may look like this:

watson
white
shields
morrow
transfer

Originally posted by worldstarhusker:
Two transfers that can fill in for pitchford i hope miles gets: Tyler harris (prov.) and rafael maia (brown)

I dont know if any have interest in us, but they would be nice additions to a lineup that may look like this:

watson
white
shields
morrow
transfer
Assuming Petteway does not come back I think we need another 2 guard in addition to a big...if not our guard play on paper looks brutal next year. This commit will be interesting because the kid is pretty unknown in that he was not able to play much his junior season and essentially sat at his senior year. The coaches must have liked what they saw when they worked him out on campus.

So you're saying you didn't want Tarin Smith to return, because that is exactly what we have in Bakari. Makes zero sense to me.

Now, if you want shooters and big men, then one should be looking at Fuller and Hammond to move on so the staff can add a shooter and a big man, neither to be projects like the 2 mentioned. When you lose a position, especially one as thin as PG, you have to replace it.
At this point in time in NU basketball, we are going to have to take bigs like Hammond and try to develop them. I don't see us attracting too many one and done big men just yet. Hammonds has the potential to be a solid big as an upperclassman. Its too bad that we had to throw him to the wolves so early. Eventually you want at least one big that is allowed to mature in the system, redshirts as a freshman, and with spot duty early maybe contributes heavily as an upperclassman. IMO too early to give up on Hammond or Fuller.

Yes you do have to replace the point, but we are in more dire need of bigs right now to get boards and play some interior D for next year, so you are kind of wanting Bigs then your guards to be committed. As long as HCTM fills the remaining spots with bigs that we have that can contribute next year, that is fine, but if we dont get any bigs...then this guard we received is going to do about as much for our fortunes next year as pissing in the wind and hoping not to get any on us.

WE have much bigger needs with rebounding and interior D then we have at guard as our lineup stands right now. We can "get away" without having another PG for next year, while there is no way in hell we can get away with not having more big bodies for next year.

Originally posted by huskerhomie:

Yes you do have to replace the point, but we are in more dire need of bigs right now to get boards and play some interior D for next year, so you are kind of wanting Bigs then your guards to be committed.
No, that isn't what I'm wanting. When you lose a position, you replace it, period.

Leslee Smith and Moses Abraham (6'8" and 6'9" post players) are gone. They were replaced with Morrow (6'7") and Jacobsen (6'8"). Not big enough for you, that's your choice. Better athletes, better leapers and better scorers, I'll take that every time. McVeigh also adds to the list but not a banger like the other 2 coming in.

Now, do I think we need a Ellis type of guy (6'9"-6'10" freak athlete) to come in? Absolutely. But I also know they don't grow on trees and there's an abundance of 6'8" or smaller guys all over the country.

Originally posted by huskerhomie:

Yes you do have to replace the point, but we are in more dire need of bigs right now to get boards and play some interior D for next year, so you are kind of wanting Bigs then your guards to be committed.
No, that isn't what I'm wanting. When you lose a position, you replace it, period.

Leslee Smith and Moses Abraham (6'8" and 6'9" post players) are gone. They were replaced with Morrow (6'7") and Jacobsen (6'8"). Not big enough for you, that's your choice. Better athletes, better leapers and better scorers, I'll take that every time. McVeigh also adds to the list but not a banger like the other 2 coming in.

Now, do I think we need a Ellis type of guy (6'9"-6'10" freak athlete) to come in? Absolutely. But I also know they don't grow on trees and there's an abundance of 6'8" or smaller guys all over the country.
Those guys are unproven Frosh, and entering the best bball conference in the country. They may take a while to get up to speed and may not add much in the paintfor us for a bit. Unless we are looking to totally sacrifice next years season (Which right now I see us as a 14-15 win team next year maybe) then we need some bigs that have experience and can be used until the young guys get up to speed.

Rebounding has been our biggest Achilles heel the last two years running...

Besides, it seems as if HCTM has not had too much of a problem getting guards in his offense for the style he runs, but bigs have been another story.

Freshmen that are better than seniors that are no longer here.

We danced last year with poor rebounding, take care of the rock and make shots. FG%, 3-point %, FT% were all down this year plus we turned the ball over at a higher rate. But, our boards per game were the same which is pretty remarkable with Leslee sidelined half the year and unable to give a high quality of minutes when he returned and Moses out for a dozen games or so.

Originally posted by huskerhomie: Those guys are unproven Frosh, and entering the best bball conference in the country. They may take a while to get up to speed and may not add much in the paintfor us for a bit. Unless we are looking to totally sacrifice next years season (Which right now I see us as a 14-15 win team next year maybe) then we need some bigs that have experience and can be used until the young guys get up to speed.

Rebounding has been our biggest Achilles heel the last two years running...

Besides, it seems as if HCTM has not had too much of a problem getting guards in his offense for the style he runs, but bigs have been another story.
Every coach in the country other than the top 10 programs struggle to recruit enough bigs. For a school like NU its even tougher given our historical lack of success. As a percentage of the basketball playing public, guys 6-8 and over that can play at the B1G level are very rare. The competition for them is ferocious. Most schools have to take some projects and try to develop bigs. A very smart now retired college coach that I knew said once that you could develop big men. Guards not so much. College ready big men are very very very rare.

We need to develop players, keep them in the program and work with them in the off-season. Smith already had a year of experience and looks like a kid who could one day help you win games in the Big 10. That's why I considered T. Smith a big loss. We can't have a revolving door when it comes to incoming freshmen. We've got the facilities where we should be able to develop good players, especially post players if they ever stuck around 4-5 years.

But once T. Smith left, we could have filled his spot with a bigger need. Back up point guard is a luxury on a team that may finish 10th or worse in their league. Miles has said that Evelyn may be able to be a combo guard so at least Coach is hoping that Evelyn may be more for this team than a backup point.

Shields brought the ball up against pressure anyway. I like the idea of using Parker or Webster at point with help from others against pressure. Otherwise, those two have limited value. Big 10 coaches won't cover them at the 3 pt. line so they certainly aren't going to create space if you put them on the wing.

This post was edited on 4/19 8:58 AM by Dean Pope

A revolving door is what college basketball has become, all over the country. Last year there was just under 700 players that transferred and the last I looked this year the list was 490, only to grow once this school semester is over. Tarin Smith is only a loss if his replacement doesn't do just that, replace him.

You say a back up PG is a luxury on a team that may finish 10th or worse in the league. Well, Tarin was a PG (played a little bit at the 2 too) on a team that actually did finish 12th in the league.

It wasn't exclusive to Shields. He was used more as a point passer than bringing it up against pressure. Parker gives us absolutely nothing on offense, maybe that'll change this year, but so far through three seasons - him on the court has allowed other teams to automatically play 5 on 4. Benny has shown a major weakness in bringing it up against pressure. Again, that may change this upcoming season but so far, it hasn't been good.

I think we probably agree on a lot of things relative to this team. Miles thought Shields had a better chance bringing it up against a 3 than our points had vs. whoever was covering them. Good idea, mixed results. Shields was used to doing that and he certainly had some lapses handling the ball. Couldn't agree more on Parker. He's OK in a "poor man's Aaron Craft" type of role, but on a squad that doesn't incorporate the low post as a scoring threat, you have to limit Parker's minutes to about 10 a game max. That didn't happen last year and, well, we all saw how much the team struggled to score.

Some will disagree with me, but NU can succeed if they even had OK or average post play. Drevo, Turek, Ubel, etc.-- those guys were OK in their 4th, 5th year. I think the Hammonds kid could be the same way if you could keep him around that long. I think it takes years to develop players, especially posts. If we can't recruit them and keep them, we're in trouble. Transfers are OK as a stop gap but I think you have to be pretty selective. Iowa State has made it work, but it's not something I would want to rely on if I were Miles.

Is players quitting on their team the new normal? Maybe, but I'd like to think NU with it's facilities should be able to keep the vast majority of kids around if they are recruiting the right kids and fitting them into a system they want to play in.

I think we agree on quite a bit. And I'm 150% in agreement with your post player comments!

You see Smith as leaving, I see Smith as being asked to leave. For me, there's a difference and I'd much rather lose a questionable freshmen after their first year compared to someone with more years in the program. Especially when that spot already has a top 70 incoming freshmen, a serviceable player in his last season (Benny) and another player recently added that brings the exact same skill level - one could argue slightly better as the one leaving after a year.

Hammond was a project because he's extremely skinny and didn't show up with the strength to play in the Big Ten.

But he wasn't a "recruiting reach." All his other offers were from the Big 12 including OU in his own state.

He wasn't a Doc Sadler type recruit where Nebraska had to fight off Louisiana Tech, Rutgers, Auburn, and Middle Tennessee State.

Originally posted by Cornicator:
Hammond was a project because he's extremely skinny and didn't show up with the strength to play in the Big Ten.

But he wasn't a "recruiting reach." All his other offers were from the Big 12 including OU in his own state.

He wasn't a Doc Sadler type recruit where Nebraska had to fight off Louisiana Tech, Rutgers, Auburn, and Middle Tennessee State.
The people criticizing Hammond and Miles for recruiting him this past season are fools. I see things in his game that make me thing that he can develop in to a good B1G caliber big. We need to get a guy like him every year and give them time to develop. It was too bad that we had not choice but to throw him in the fire this year. It will make him better in the long run, but it was kind of a wasted year of elgiblity for him.

This post was edited on 4/19 1:16 PM by dinglefritz

While I completely agree with your assessment that Miles had to immediately replace Tarin with a point or combo guard and that Evelyn is a decent snag this late in the game, what makes you think Bakari is slightly better (or at least equal) to Tarin in terms of skill? Watching film isn't an exact science, but I see nothing to suggest that.

Evelyn might be a better fit going forward because of his frame and shooting ability. I doubt he will play much point guard here at all. I will go out on a limb and assume Miles' plan is to play him more at the 2. I would buy the better fit theory more than I would buy the better skill theory. Just my opinion.

As far as Hammond goes, I think he will take the next step. He didn't get much of an opportunity this year and I think a part of it was on him. I do think we, to borrow Bo Ryan's words, will rent a post player or two for next year. Even at that, I see Hammond stepping up and being a 15-20 minute type of player next year.

Originally posted by Ragnar_Lodbrok:
While I completely agree with your assessment that Miles had to immediately replace Tarin with a point or combo guard and that Evelyn is a decent snag this late in the game, what makes you think Bakari is slightly better (or at least equal) to Tarin in terms of skill? Watching film isn't an exact science, but I see nothing to suggest that.

Evelyn might be a better fit going forward because of his frame and shooting ability. I doubt he will play much point guard here at all. I will go out on a limb and assume Miles' plan is to play him more at the 2. I would buy the better fit theory more than I would buy the better skill theory. Just my opinion.

As far as Hammond goes, I think he will take the next step. He didn't get much of an opportunity this year and I think a part of it was on him. I do think we, to borrow Bo Ryan's words, will rent a post player or two for next year. Even at that, I see Hammond stepping up and being a 15-20 minute type of player next year.
Nice board name! Hammond has some game. He needs to add some strength to that game in the offseason. The old roles of the strict point have really been de-emphasized in both the college and pro games. You need ALL your smalls to be able to handle the ball, run the offense AND SCORE to some degree. We had Ray and Benny. The guy we really need to replace is Ray and Tarin didn't really do it. Next man up. Watson could change things immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT