ADVERTISEMENT

Based on current 22' recruiting interest (or lack thereof), next season is do or die for Frost

If he has another losing season I don't think Moos will be around to make any hiring/firing decisions......
Are you saying that Moos would be fired if Frost has another losing season? What would Moos have done to justify being fired?

I like you persistence. But at times...factual data, statistics and past history have to come in to play. No?
Rick, I get it. You still have to look at the whole picture.
This is a big-time plan to where its going to take a number of years or should I just say time like Tom Osborne was given rather than listening to idiots who wanted him gone.
Did I say idiots lol

Are you saying that Moos would be fired if Frost has another losing season? What would Moos have done to justify being fired?

Bad football isn’t Moos’ fault, but it is his problem. He hired the guy everybody wanted, and would have been crucified if hired anybody else. But if we are going on 5-6 straight losing seasons, then we will be entering the post-Frost era. We will need an new AD just so the new coach will feel like his boss will be there.

Rick, I get it. You still have to look at the whole picture.
This is a big-time plan to where its going to take a number of years or should I just say time like Tom Osborne was given rather than listening to idiots who wanted him gone.
Did I say idiots lol

This is so idiotic and I'm sick of hearing this BS of people bringing up Osborne almost getting fired. Osborne was losing to Oklahoma every year but winning 9-10 games on an 11/12 game schedule.

If Dr Tom Osborne had ANY ONE of FROST's season's his ass would have been FIRED!!

AD's aren't suppose to be buddy buddy with losing coaches. It doesn't matter if he made the hire or not. Just the fact that every year since the hire he has changed his tone and over the goal posts is enough to justify putting him out to pasture.

You have to have a sense of urgency when you're losing this bad at a program on Nebraska's level. Acting like this part of the plan and "nothing to see here" doesn't work anymore.

You have to issue ultimatums to coaches to let them know what's expected and make it clear just like Tom did to Callahan. AD's who hire bad coaches don't get get a 2nd chance to hire another one. Steve Pederson didn't and neither did Eichorst.......

Recruiting is the least of our concerns. There are plenty of reasons to be concerned, recruiting probably isn’t one of them. Also judging recruiting 11 months before signing day is odd.
Given what has happened with COVID and recruiting I think it is EXTREMELY smart to be waiting to take commitments for this next class. As it stands right now the HOPE is that we can have a large group of kids at our spring game with fans in the stands to give kids a more realistic view of what playing at Nebraska might be like. Hell we don't even know yet what we CAN take recruiting wise. The only pressing issue right now is QB with all of the guys who are coming back and getting a free year.

Frost must turn this around THIS year. Another losing season and the bottom falls out of Husker football.
IMO that depends on what a losing season would look like. How about 6-7 with a loss in a bowl game and close losses to Ohio State and Wisconsin? Hell we're not even sure yet how many games we'll be playing again. Warren won't let us be sure until we kick off our first game.

Reactions: CatColumbia
closer to 9 months than 11. December is much busier for signees than February

No visits until June 1

3 of the top 5 instate players are showing zero interest in Nebraska.

little time to make big strides.

recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, it should always be a concern, especially when a program is struggling to win games for going on 5 years.
Agree BUTTTT this year is a weird weird year and some of those "in-state" kids didn't grow up Husker fans and have ties to other states or programs. I'm not going to get the boxers in a wad over recruiting anything other than a QB this year.

This is so idiotic and I'm sick of hearing this BS of people bringing up Osborne almost getting fired. Osborne was losing to Oklahoma every year but winning 9-10 games on an 11/12 game schedule.

If Dr Tom Osborne had ANY ONE of FROST's season's his ass would have been FIRED!!
Osborne himself said a booster(?) told him had he not won the Bluebonnet vs. TX Tech, there would been a move to fire him. It is this mentality that led to the ouster of Solich that started this whole thing.

Reactions: bshirt73
Osborne himself said a booster(?) told him had he not won the Bluebonnet vs. TX Tech, there would been a move to fire him. It is this mentality that led to the ouster of Solich that started this whole thing.

Don't compare what happened then to what is happening NOW. Nebraska has won like 30% of its games the last 4 years. That's NIGHT and DAY.

Like I said if Osborne won less than half his games ANY YEAR then his ass would have been fired and would have deserved it. If Frank had only won 4 games in 2003 then it would have been justified to get rid of him.

When you fire coaches who win 9/10 wins a year its hard to find a good replacement. When you fire coaches who win less than half their games its easier to find a qualified replacement...

Why won’t he be here?
He’ll be here till the new football facility’s are up and running..

given that Rutgers was set to be a tourney team last year and will likely make the tournament this year.... William Moos is the only BIG athletic director who's football and men's BB programs, under his wise tutelage, has failed to meet even the most facile of achievements over the last 4 years -- not even a single bowl game or an NCAA tourney birth

he has been at Neb since 2017 and the athletic department's 2 major programs remain by far the worst in the conference

those seem likely fairly plausible reasons

Last edited:
given that Rutgers was set to be a tourney team last year and will make the tournament this year.... William Moos is the only BIG athletic director who's football and men's BB programs, under his wise tutelage, has failed to meet even the most facile of achievements over the last 4 years -- just a single bowl game or an NCAA tourney birth

he has been at Neb since 2017 and the athletic departments 2 major programs remain by far the worst in the conference

giphy.gif

it is quite amazing that he isn't feeling more heat

Nebraska is the only school in the BIG entering 2021 with a coach coming off back-to-back-to-back losing regular seasons at their current school

and this at an alleged blue blood program
I am a bit surprised also. Frankly, I'm tired of the coaching carousel, it has got us nowhere. We've proven over and over that we are not good at hiring football coaches. At some point, if you feel like you made a reasonable choice, you stick it out longer than you normally would, particularly when he has a strong connection to the program. The 9-win standard is long gone, which affords us the ability to play the patience card.

Reactions: tdierberger
Don't compare what happened then to what is happening NOW. Nebraska has won like 30% of its games the last 4 years. That's NIGHT and DAY.

Like I said if Osborne won less than half his games ANY YEAR then his ass would have been fired and would have deserved it. If Frank had only won 4 games in 2003 then it would have been justified to get rid of him.

When you fire coaches who win 9/10 wins a year its hard to find a good replacement. When you fire coaches who win less than half their games its easier to find a qualified replacement...
Not exactly sure how old you are, but given the strength of the Big 8 conference at that time, combined with a couple of OOC laugher games, it was mathematically impossible for NU to lose more games than it won. TO was only 4-3 in conference that year and it was viewed as a big problem.

Reactions: countrybob
I feel with the defense we have coming back we have a good chance of being in most games. Now if the offense can be just good enough to put about four touchdowns and a few field goals on the board with few turnovers in most weeks we will have a very good season. I never thought I'd say it but I really like the way Northwestern goes about playing a complete game, just all phases of football.

Northwestern keys to winning: Great defense that comes up with a turnover now and again, an error free offense that puts enough points on the board to stress the opponent and solid special teams and you can compete for championships in the BIG.

Now I'm not saying Northwestern will beat OSU in the championship game but they will play well enough to stay in it for most of the game. Right now Nebraska is built to lose to teams like Northwestern because we do the opposite in all phases of the game but we are starting to show signs of turning things around in some of the phases of the game. But yes this is a very important year for the University of Nebraska football I think Scott Frost is at the tipping point of sink or swim.

Reactions: countrybob
I am a bit surprised also. Frankly, I'm tired of the coaching carousel, it has got us nowhere. We've proven over and over that we are not good at hiring football coaches. At some point, if you feel like you made a reasonable choice, you stick it out longer than you normally would, particularly when he has a strong connection to the program. The 9-win standard is long gone, which affords us the ability to play the patience card.
Frost took a team that lost all of its games the year before he arrived and had them at 6-7 the first year with a bowl game and undefeated the next. He has not come close to that at NU and we are all disappointed. Did Frost become a shitty coach when he crossed the Mississippi River? Or is something else at play?
UCF was 0 for 12 the year before Frost. But it the three years prior to that, UCF was a combined 31-9, won their division or conference each year, and won the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. That's a winning program. NU was 19-19 in the three years prior to Frost, with the final year featuring games where it looked and felt like the team just gave up. This past year, even though the win loss record was bad, there were not games save tOSU where NU was clearly over matched. There has been substantial improvement on the defensive side of the ball, with some inspired play.
Does getting rid of Frost in the near term solve any of these problems?

IMO that depends on what a losing season would look like. How about 6-7 with a loss in a bowl game and close losses to Ohio State and Wisconsin? Hell we're not even sure yet how many games we'll be playing again. Warren won't let us be sure until we kick off our first game.
While it is true that not all losing seasons are alike or of the same caliber, it remains true nevertheless that Frost has lost the right to be given the benefit of the doubt, as he was given for his first three losing seasons. Season one: it was Riley's fault. Ok. Season two: it is still Riley's fault. Need more time to build this thing. Ok. Season three: this is a strange season because of Covid. ok. Season four: "Hey coach Frost. Win. No more excuses. This is now your team and your players and your culture. Win. Or go away."

Frost took a team that lost all of its games the year before he arrived and had them at 6-7 the first year with a bowl game and undefeated the next. He has not come close to that at NU and we are all disappointed. Did Frost become a shitty coach when he crossed the Mississippi River? Or is something else at play?
UCF was 0 for 12 the year before Frost. But it the three years prior to that, UCF was a combined 31-9, won their division or conference each year, and won the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. That's a winning program. NU was 19-19 in the three years prior to Frost, with the final year featuring games where it looked and felt like the team just gave up. This past year, even though the win loss record was bad, there were not games save tOSU where NU was clearly over matched. There has been substantial improvement on the defensive side of the ball, with some inspired play.
Does getting rid of Frost in the near term solve any of these problems?

well if we are going to remove a bad year Nebraska was 15-11 and played in 2 bowl games before the disastrous 2017 season.

It's awfully hard for me to imagine that a kid like Morrison, if healthy, isn't at least a serviceable option at RB. His HS stats are just eye popping and the Badgers were trying to land this kid. Get Sevion and the Stepp kid healthy and NU has a good 1-2 at RB. A good defense and a workable ground attack wins games in the B1G.

Reactions: bshirt73
well if we are going to remove a bad year Nebraska was 15-11 and played in 2 bowl games before the disastrous 2017 season.
If we are going to focus on those two years, NU had a seasoned winner at QB and (in hindsight) a decent defensive coordinator. NU could have won more games the first year had they let Tommy be Tommy.

If the 2021 recruiting class of three-star supermen can't turn it around, nothing will.

Nebraska Football has been dead for 20 years. Various coaches imitated Weekend at Bernies with what was left of the championship years, but eventually even Bernie would decompose into a smelly pile of bones.

Give Frost a 20 year contract, and enjoy going to the games for hotdogs and bottle races on the big screen.

If the 2021 recruiting class of three-star supermen can't turn it around, nothing will.

Nebraska Football has been dead for 20 years. Various coaches imitated Weekend at Bernies with what was left of the championship years, but eventually even Bernie would decompose into a smelly pile of bones.

Give Frost a 20 year contract, and enjoy going to the games for hotdogs and bottle races on the big screen.

So we can still count on your contribution to the program though correct?

While it is true that not all losing seasons are alike or of the same caliber, it remains true nevertheless that Frost has lost the right to be given the benefit of the doubt, as he was given for his first three losing seasons. Season one: it was Riley's fault. Ok. Season two: it is still Riley's fault. Need more time to build this thing. Ok. Season three: this is a strange season because of Covid. ok. Season four: "Hey coach Frost. Win. No more excuses. This is now your team and your players and your culture. Win. Or go away."
Personally if he has a 4 win season (not going to happen) I would still be for staying the course. JMO that we hired a young coach who apparently wasn't quite ready for the B1G. Starting over IMO would be a mistake. We would lose another year of recruiting and likely have to install new systems all over again. You might as well flush 2 more years down the drain. I think even IF we had a poor season this year, the drawbacks of starting over are too great to pull the plug.

Personally if he has a 4 win season (not going to happen) I would still be for staying the course. JMO that we hired a young coach who apparently wasn't quite ready for the B1G. Starting over IMO would be a mistake. We would lose another year of recruiting and likely have to install new systems all over again. You might as well flush 2 more years down the drain. I think even IF we had a poor season this year, the drawbacks of starting over are too great to pull the plug.

I disagree and he is not that young of a coach, he is 45 years old, he is coaching like he's 30! 4 Wins next year is a total disaster and find Boosters to buy him out. I think he keeps his job at 5-7, but probably is gone in 2023 if he hasn't hit at least 8-9 wins.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Well, the two year extension after year two was - a VERY bold move - Moos essentially doubled down to the tune of $10 million on what was starting to look very possibly like a bad wager.

I think he is feeling heat, I just think that the sports show in the state walk a fine line.

Big Red Overreaction is probably the truest type of comments out there.

If he has another losing season I don't think Moos will be around to make any hiring/firing decisions......
I guess I don't see why Moos does get fired if Frost fails. His job was to hire Frost, no one else, so him getting for doing exactly what everyone wanted him to do doesn't quite make sense to me.

I guess I don't see why Moos does get fired if Frost fails. His job was to hire Frost, no one else, so him getting for doing exactly what everyone wanted him to do doesn't quite make sense to me.

He was told to hire Frost, but he did hire Hoiberg and the Pirate on his own, which are solid picks.

Reactions: HuskerO

one of his most important tasks is to have a successful football program (preferably basketball as well) - he has been at Neb since 2017 and is presently failing ... combined, he has the worst 2 programs in the BIG

while he certainly was told to hire Frost by his uplines - the uplines don't get fired - his job is to take the hit for them .. he doesn't get to employ the Nuremberg defense of just following orders

much like in pro sports the owner and team president don't get fired - the coach and the person who hired the coach (the GM) do

Last edited:
given that Rutgers was set to be a tourney team last year and will likely make the tournament this year.... William Moos is the only BIG athletic director who's football and men's BB programs, under his wise tutelage, has failed to meet even the most facile of achievements over the last 4 years -- not even a single bowl game or an NCAA tourney birth

he has been at Neb since 2017 and the athletic department's 2 major programs remain by far the worst in the conference

those seem likely fairly plausible reasons

We not you may have not liked the results the past few years but we now have better coaches than we had prior to hiring Frost and Hoieberg..

ADVERTISEMENT