ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Anyone watch the Cubs vs. White Sox last night? Man... Sports are weird without crowds. Premier League is somewhat ok to watch without crowds, but baseball was a little different last night. It'll probably become the new normal, but it was definitely different.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Doesn't look or feel right to us fans....so I can only imagine as a player how weird it must feel. I did not realize they are only going to do 60 games?? Yikes that is just strange to think about.

Anyone watch the Cubs vs. White Sox last night? Man... Sports are weird without crowds. Premier League is somewhat ok to watch without crowds, but baseball was a little different last night. It'll probably become the new normal, but it was definitely different.
It definitely takes away from the atmosphere. Momentum element gone or muted?

It's better than no baseball.

I can get used to the lack of crowd noise. Just need the networks to show the game full-screen and the announcers to try to call the game as normally as possible. That's not easy, and I certainly don't expect perfection. But please don't shrink the game down to 2/3 of the screen and hold a babbling talk show on the side. I don't need to see your sports memorabilia collections or the books you haven't read.

Doesn't look or feel right to us fans....so I can only imagine as a player how weird it must feel. I did not realize they are only going to do 60 games?? Yikes that is just strange to think about.

LOL..The season starts on July 23, how many games do you think they can play before the playoffs start sometime in October...

While it would be a long shot, should Omaha make a pitch to host the Toronto Blue Jays? Nice ballpark 10 minutes from the airport. Might be worth tossing the idea out there.

had the same thought. Low infection rate. Close to airport and hotels. Might be too far from the other teams they play though.

While it would be a long shot, should Omaha make a pitch to host the Toronto Blue Jays? Nice ballpark 10 minutes from the airport. Might be worth tossing the idea out there.
I thought the same thing this morning, but then remembered they're doing regional scheduling. So all of the AL and NL east would have to come to Omaha. But it would be the perfect park! They should do it and move Toronto to the Central and Cleveland to the East just for this summer.

Good idea and it would be nice rental income, but man would that suck for Omaha fans to have big league games played in the city and no one can attend.

Watched Dodgers /Diamondbacks last night... Dodgers had cardboard cutouts in the stands... Apparently they are for purchase at $299.00...

https://www.mlb.com/dodgers/fans/cutouts

7001389N_1.jpg

They should use these instead.

I haven’t watched MLB since my Oakland A’s had Jose Conseco, Ricky Henderson and Mark McGwire (Big Mac). Lol

I’m all Husker baseball now or nothing.

Should make it easier for the Astros to hear the trash cans. Those cheaters should have been banned from the gam.

You would think they could let a couple of thousand people safely in a ball park for the games. Then it would at least be like playing a game in Tampa....

Reactions: mgbreis
It would be fantastic. There would be no reason to not sell a thousand or so tickets to the games too.

Toronto playing in omaha makes quite a bit of sense. Airport and hotel is super close, low Rona numbers, park that has mlb ready lighting. No different flying from omaha to Boston than it is Miami to New York

I had heard about the Toronto playing in Omaha idea. Unfortunately I read that they’ll be playing in Buffalo.

Don’t give up, tho. Some teams may need to move out of their home states and Omaha would be a great spot to host games. The downside is that with scheduling being almost exclusively regional, it would have to be a NL Central or AL Central team. Which is probably why Buffalo works better for Toronto.

I can’t wait for the season. All teams tied with 60 games remaining, A winning streak or losing streak of 5-7 games could make or break a team from the pack. Washington Nationals would not have made playoffs after 60 games last year. Play Ball

I had heard about the Toronto playing in Omaha idea. Unfortunately I read that they’ll be playing in Buffalo.

Don’t give up, tho. Some teams may need to move out of their home states and Omaha would be a great spot to host games. The downside is that with scheduling being almost exclusively regional, it would have to be a NL Central or AL Central team. Which is probably why Buffalo works better for Toronto.

Buffalo is close to the same market.

Buffalo is close to the same market.
Buffalo is where the Jays want to play, but I don't think it's a done deal yet. Lighting and some other stadium features are not up to MLB standards.

Chances of Omaha landing the Jays are probably a million to one. But it might still be worth throwing Omaha in the mix for the reason stated above - to get on the short list in case another team finds itself without a home.

I heard the Blue Jays will be playing in Pittsburgh and they'll get creative with their and the Pirates' schedules.

I heard the Blue Jays will be playing in Pittsburgh and they'll get creative with their and the Pirates' schedules.
That seems to be the most likely plan, but the Jays and Pirates don't play each other so it makes scheduling more difficult. They might end up in Baltimore because scheduling is easier.

Reactions: saluno22
It's better than no baseball.

I can get used to the lack of crowd noise. Just need the networks to show the game full-screen and the announcers to try to call the game as normally as possible. That's not easy, and I certainly don't expect perfection. But please don't shrink the game down to 2/3 of the screen and hold a babbling talk show on the side. I don't need to see your sports memorabilia collections or the books you haven't read.

Have you been to a baseball game in Korea? The action in the crowd is a big part of the experience there.

That ballpark in Pittsburgh is the best one I've been to. Absolutely gorgeous setting. Pittsburgh is an underrated city

Reactions: nwualum

I think it would help if MLB did like EPL and pipe in some well timed crowd noise.

I haven’t watched MLB since my Oakland A’s had Jose Conseco, Ricky Henderson and Mark McGwire (Big Mac). Lol

I’m all Husker baseball now or nothing.

A glutton for punishment huh. College baseball just brutal to watch.

UPDATE! Pittsburgh is out, State of PA has said no.
Omaha is still a possibility, albeit a small one.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT