ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Regional

Six outs to go, but I’m afraid the season has come to a painful end. Pretty good year for the most part, let’s see what 2020 brings.

Six outs to go, but I’m afraid the season has come to a painful end. Pretty good year for the most part, let’s see what 2020 brings.
I'd say pretty good year if only because a few weeks ago it didn't look like we'd even be playing this weekend. But really, going 1-2 in a regional is about the bare minimum that this program should expect. And after 8 years, that's the furthest Erstad has taken this team. We should expect better.

So let me get this straight, if Nebraska had won, Erstad was a genius. If they lost he should be fired. Thank God you people aren’t Athletic Directors.

Let’s not be so naive. That’s the way it works a lot of the time and not just in sports.

If he were a salesman, you could state the same thing. “If company XYZ landed the sale, Erstad is a genius. If Company XYZ lost the sale, Erstad should be fired. “

Same for various other professions. At a certain point, after various failures, a person finds themselves in a sink or swim situation. Erstad May have found himself in that situation last night. Maybe it’s bad luck and he couldn’t have done anything more. But at some point you gotta produce.

Many people on this board made the same point your trying to make in regards with to mike riley and Tim Miles.

Reactions: HuskersNC
I'd say pretty good year if only because a few weeks ago it didn't look like we'd even be playing this weekend. But really, going 1-2 in a regional is about the bare minimum that this program should expect. And after 8 years, that's the furthest Erstad has taken this team. We should expect better.
I don't disagree. Erstad's body of work at NU is unimpressive, and I'm not reluctant to say so even if it elicits squeals from people who don't even follow the team other than to deliver stern scoldings to fans who actually do. But I think Erstad's here for a long time, and if a turnaround is coming it's got to start somewhere. Let's hope 2020 brings further improvement.

We need many more good players, not unlike the football situation 18 months ago.

Erstad has done enough to he terminated. He needs to go. It will be a mistake on Moos' part if he is kept another year.

I don't disagree. Erstad's body of work at NU is unimpressive, and I'm not reluctant to say so even if it elicits squeals from people who don't even follow the team other than to deliver stern scoldings to fans who actually do. But I think Erstad's here for a long time, and if a turnaround is coming it's got to start somewhere. Let's hope 2020 brings further improvement.
Moos has said many times his definition of coaching success is "competing for championships" and your team being consistently in the top 3 or 4 in the conference. I'm not so sure about the consistent part, but NU did compete for the B1G championship, was tied for third in the standings, and won a regional game. So the performance this year seems to check the boxes. That combined with Moos recently saying Erstad was his kind of guy and him wanting to stay on TO's good side tells me HCDE will be here for the foreseeable future. But man, sometimes stuff like the ninth inning pitching decision last night and not walking the B12 homerun leader with two outs makes it difficult to feel totally good about the program.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm SURE if the guy had hit a curve ball the crowd would be whining about why he didn't throw his best stuff, his fastball.

Welp, we're never going to find out, because he threw at least 19 straight fastballs, with one of the last being deposited for safe keeping in some lighting fixture well beyond the outfield wall.

The point here is that HR hitters like Boone isn't crushing the off - speed stuff like he is the fastball. It's the first pitch they learn to hit. I know that I wouldn't be challenging the best HR hitter in the Big 12 with fastballs. He would have to prove to me that he can hit the curve or change up before I would throw him a fastball.

After seeing what happened to West Virginia today against Texas A&M-I don't feel quite as bad about what happened to us yesterday. They were playing an elimination game-West Virginia has a 3 run lead and A&M is down to their final strike, but they have the bases loaded. They win on a walk-off grand slam. West Virginia goes home. Doesn't get any worse than that.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I’d call this season par for the course for Erstad. 5th place finish in the regular season, make it to the conference tourney championship game only to lose to a pretty bad Ohio St team and then get us excited in the regional, only to get kicked in the nuts and finish 1-2. They were a poor batting team and weren’t very deep in the pitching staff. Pretty much an average season and I really don’t expect much more from an Erstad coaches team.

After seeing what happened to West Virginia today against Texas A&M-I don't feel quite as bad about what happened to us yesterday. West Virginia has a 3 run lead and A&M is down to their final strike. They win on a walk-off grand slam. West Virginia goes home. Doesn't get any worse than that.

Wow, that is losing in monumental fashion. Ours was super painful, but a walk - off GS is as bad as it gets in baseball.

I gotta say though, losing 16 - 1 today is about as ridiculous a way to end your season as could happen, and yet another humiliating regional performance to add to Erstad and Silva's resume. Bravo guys..

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
Im not an Erstad fan by any means but with the extreme turnaround they made the last month of the season, he earned another year.

With that said, everyone is talking about the pitching decisions. I 150% would go with Gomes in that situation. I also would 150% have walked that guy. No reason to give him a chance to destroy your heart like that. Why is nobody bitching about how the bats died after run number 5? Itsike they knew that Waldron was throwing a gem and we had one of the best closers ready to shut the door and they were comfy with a 5-1 lead. History dont always repeat itself.

I’d call this season par for the course for Erstad. 5th place finish in the regular season, make it to the conference tourney championship game only to lose to a pretty bad Ohio St team and then get us excited in the regional, only to get kicked in the nuts and finish 1-2. They were a poor batting team and weren’t very deep in the pitching staff. Pretty much an average season and I really don’t expect much more from an Erstad coaches team.
When the most positive guy on the board thinks you are pretty sad, you are pretty sad

When the most positive guy on the board thinks you are pretty sad, you are pretty sad
I’d hardly call myself the most positive guy on the board. I’ve been pretty meh on Erstad for a while now.

If Creighton wins and somehow makes it to the CWS, I can sell my tickets for a lot moreSmokin

Please tell me you didn’t buy CWS banking on the Huskers to make it and your failsafe is selling your tickets.

I like the optimism but maybe don’t go buying 2020 final 4 tickets just yet either... however might not be a bad investment to buy some college football playoff tickets Winking

Last edited:
Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Please tell me you didn’t buy CWS banking on the Huskers to make it and your failsafe is selling your tickets.

I like the optimism but maybe don’t go buying 2020 final 4 tickets just yet either... however might not be a bad investment to buy some college football playoff tickets Winking
He was hoarding tickets to sell to Haweye fans because they were surely making a return visit to the CWS this year.

Go UConn!

They win 5-2 over OSU, forcing another game. I would love to see them knock the Pokes out tomorrow.

Reactions: saluno22
Leading in a game 5-0 and then get outscored 22-1 over the next 16 innings. To me that speaks volumes. Especially when you have so much to play for!

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Good thing I’ve been out of state fishing and playing Golf over the weekend.. So I haven’t missed much.

Last night was unreal with 2 outs ..

He was hoarding tickets to sell to Haweye fans because they were surely making a return visit to the CWS this year.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm glad the Hawkeyes were somehow derailed from making it to the CWS this year. I had grown weary of watching them invade Omaha every 47 years.

i was assuming sooner or later had posted an anti creighton post about 20 minutes ago

Reactions: schuele
Odds are erstad gets another year. Does he deserve it? Meh. But we just hired two high dollar coaches. He survives until next year imo.

Reactions: spinner4
Write it off for what it is...a stagnant program that continues to underachieve. Erstad should have some serious self doubt on whether or not he has what it takes to take this team further. Stepping aside may be the best course of action.

Reactions: gw2kpro
Write it off for what it is...a stagnant program that continues to underachieve. Erstad should have some serious self doubt on whether or not he has what it takes to take this team further. Stepping aside may be the best course of action.
Not sure that’s going to happen. Granted, Erstad’s team looked like they just quit after last nights debacle and a coach can’t let that happen. Although he hasn’t done enough as we’d all like him to, he’s done enough to keep his job.

ADVERTISEMENT